Gray/Davis starter

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Model T Matt
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Madison
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923
MTFCA Number: 51525

Gray/Davis starter

Post by Model T Matt » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:30 pm

Looking for picture-instructions for Gray Davis Starter have one that was on a 1914 T the Chain that goes from starter to Crank is missing looking for chain or something to see what it looked like Thanks Matt Madison 503-824-2681

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Gray/Davis starter

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:24 am

Not a lot of info out there on the web.
from this link https://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/4 ... 1389066633
By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:57 pm:
Brad
In my extensive old car electrical reference library I have a three booklets relating to Gray & Davis and the Model T Ford:
1.) "Gray & Davis Book of Instructions No. A-68 Double Unit System for Ford cars". It is important to understand GD made two units for the Model T Ford car. They are fundamentally the same only one uses third brush regulation and the other uses a regulator/cutout. Both are depicted in the booklet and you will be able to tell what you actually have.
2.) I also have a 1921 book entitled "Automobile Electrical Systems" and Chapter III Special Systems for Ford-Gray & Davis which is is basically the same information with about 25 pages describing in detail operation including the two different regulators.
3.) I also have a 1923 book entitled "Automotive Engineering", Section "Electrical Equipment" with a sub-section "Special Equipment for Ford Cars" showing installation of the the "Gray & Davis" 3rd brush regulation unit on a Ford car in detail.
All three have physical wiring diagrams, but I cannot find a good electrical circuit schematic for trouble shooting.
Your welcome to a copy of this information for the copy and mailing costs.
gdav.png
--
--
See the following https://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/8 ... 1521912278
Gary Hagen user WorldChamp1914
gs arters.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jack Putnam, in Ohio
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Putnam
MTFCA Number: 13833
MTFCI Number: 13353

Post by Jack Putnam, in Ohio » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:11 am

The type of chain you want for the starter is called "silent chain". Available from power transmission companies. It will work on gears of different thread pitches and different power loads. More power to be transferred just add more chain width. It has been used in automobiles to earth moving machinery. I have it on my Hienze accessory starter on my 1914 T.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:57 am

Good info on "silent chain" on this site and perhaps a major supplier. pricey stuff
This link is a guide to selecting the proper chain
https://ramseychain.com/the-chain-docto ... ification/
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Model T Matt
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Madison
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923
MTFCA Number: 51525

Post by Model T Matt » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:11 pm

thanks for info on chain dist. will have to get a measurement and pitch

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic