Radioactive spark plugs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
colonelpowers
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Powers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Center Door Sedan

Radioactive spark plugs

Post by colonelpowers » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:07 pm

A couple years ago I bought a T that had a set of Firestone Polonium spark plugs in it. They seemed to work fine but I eventually replaced them and put them up in a cabinet. I came across them the other day and was curious to know if anyone knew much about them. Are they a better plug by being radioactive or was it just a gimmick?

SoNorCal
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Lukash
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring
MTFCA Number: 390
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 207
Board Member Since: 2009

Re: Radioactive spark plugs

Post by SoNorCal » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:14 pm

It’s a gimmick, a remnant of “Atomic Age” marketing, “put the power of the Atom to work in your car!”

Idea was polonium would help ionize air, improving spark.

Check the half life of polonium, and you will see why it sure did not last long or work well.

They were often (not always) a lovely Pink, if you enjoy that…

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:22 pm

It was a gimmick, they were first introduced early 40’s through the mid 40s, the premiss was the radioactive polonium helped the plug fire hotter & better. The half life of the polonium was about 140 days so after a few years the plugs would have no radioactivity left. The plugs will work fine but the gimmick is inert.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 pm

Radiation was thought to be a good thing, or at least harmless.

Fluoroscope.jpg
If you were born before the war you probably remember sticking your feet in one of these at the shoe store and watching the bones in your feet move when you wiggled your toes. As you can see, Mom and the salesman could watch too. Eventually somebody figured out that radiating kids' feet was not a good idea.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:14 pm

Some info on the danger of Polonium and that the old spark plugs are no longer a danger
https://www.utoledo.edu/nsm/ic/elements/polonium.html
polonium.png
Contributor: Cassandra Pittman
About the Display: The Po display features:
A Firestone spark plug containing Polonium. Polonium was used, specifically polonium-210, to improve electrical conductivity and allow a larger spark gap. In theory, this meant that there would be a more complete combustion of fuel. The original patent for radioactive spark plugs was approved in 1929 and was actually written for radium. The patent for the Firestone spark plugs was approved in 1941. Polonium ended up being the radioactive element of choice since it was safer than radium and more effective than uranium or thorium. The spark plugs were only manufactured for about 3-4 years in the 1940's, though, since the benefits were minimal and short-lived. Polonium-210's short half-life of 138 days and the inevitable build-up of deposits on the electrodes, which prevented the polonium from interacting with the gas, are what lead to the demise of these radioactive spark plugs. The polonium in the spark plugs is no longer dangerous, due to the short half life. For more information, visit https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/con ... kplugs.htm
--
--
Neat Youtube about them https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=pBHmScF7-ww
polonium 2.png
--
--
They came in Pink and White and are marked Polonium
firestone supreme.png
firestone supreme.png (595.72 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:29 am

But wait. I was born just after the war (WWII) and put my feet into one of those x-ray shoe-fit boxes. It didn't affect my brain...my brain...my brain...

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:57 am

I seem to rememeber that J.C. Whitney offered a miracle gadget that replaced the distributor rotor with a disc-shaped object. I think it brought a disc-shaped conductive element near all the high tension contacts in the distributor cap, but not quite near enough to allow a spark to jump. One conductive element functioned in the normal fashion to fire each plug in turn. The idea was that high voltage would leak from the disc to the distributor cap contacts and pre-ionize the mixture in the plug gaps, thus facilitating a hotter spark, and thus obtaining benefits similar to those claimed for the polonium plugs. I doubt if it worked very well, if it worked at all. Evidently it didn't offer much benefit, since it could have easily and cheaply been adapated to any application, yet no manufacturers did so.

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:11 pm

Check out other spark plugs and spark intensifiers in our Gallery Section: https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/app.php/galler ... ?sk=n&sd=a

Plugs and things start at about page 25 of the section.

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:19 am

Although the halflife of Polonium makes old sparkplugs non lethal from a radiation vieuwpoint, it does not prevent them from being poisonous...
Polonium is a preferred poison used by mr. Putins secret service, once a very small amount is inhaled or ingested it leads to irreversible damage to internal organs like the liver and kidneys, leading to vomiting, diarhea, and loss of hair, followed by shutdown of several bodily functions ultimately leading to a horrible death.
So be warned, DO NOT LICK YOUR OLD SPARKPLUGS :lol: :lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:23 am

NOW! You can use a secret European discovery to get faster acceleration and higher top speeds with 35% better mileage with the new electronic ATT-O-MIZER! Developed in a secret European scientific laboratory, the new electronic ATT-O-MIZER instantly turns your engine's cylinders into power-packed miniature gasoline refineries by using activated electronic plasma streams to supercharge ordinary regular gasoline into SUPER HIGH TEST LIQUID DYNAMITE right in your engine that delivers blazing power and super mileage with any make engine, old or new! ORDER NOW! Fits all cars! Nothing else to buy! Anyone can install it in 5 minutes flat using only an ordinary screwdriver or can opener! No tricky adjustments, gaskets, or special fluids to buy! Fits ALL 4,6,8 cylinder cars, old or new! ....................shipping wt 5 oz... Only $4.99! HURRY!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic