How to get the ladies interested !!!!!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

How to get the ladies interested !!!!!

Post by Sarikatime » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 pm

I believe a lot of us are taking the ladies to the model T meetings or at least to the tours once a years or so. Well we are in a dilemma as to how can we get the ladies to the meetings and the tours also. Most of the girls are hesitant to be at the meetings because it is boring, the guys are talking about their machines only, the meeting place is a garage or yard and it is cold or hot or------. We are in a small town with plenty of old cars but no enthusiasm, the guys are dropping off and loosing interest. we want to make it an exciting event where the ladies can get together at the same time and make it a joint effort to have fun. They don't necessarily have to be in the same room with us all the time, they can do cooking or sewing or crafts of just sit and talk and maybe with a little coctail even. Most of the girls wouldn't pee on our T's if it was on fire. Well that is what we are trying to wrap they'r heads around and to make it a joint effort. Looking to you guys that have your lady in on this hobby, maybe they are not on board all the time, that would be a miracle, but enough that it makes it fun for all. The hobby is becoming more and more challenging with us getting older and starting to drop off and talking to ourselves because there is not anyone else to talk to. We want our significant other to share it with and bring back that enthusiasm we started with many years ago. Yes, we have to change somewhat to carry on and make it more of a social club atmosphere but still talk and repair our model T's together. Realistically there is a handful of full time participants on the forum and some lurkers that do not participate for one reason or other. I am looking for all of your ideas and not just the few that are backboning this hobby. Twenty years ago when I first logged onto this website there were many more participants and enthusiasm but we have come to a point where we have to start bending the rules to survive. A lot of you may agree and a lot of you will not, but that is OK. If we discuss some possibilities that is working for your club that involves the ladies and maintains participation and fun for all, we possibly all can learn from this rambling that I started. Please put in your two cents worth and give us ideas to help us in our club and maybe help other clubs as well at the same time. Our club is named "The Whiskey Row Flivvers" . Just the name should bring fun and a smile, but we need ideas. Please!!!!!!!!
Frank

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: How to get the ladies interested !!!!!

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Frank first Thank You for bring this topic up, Very Important.

The other half does need to get involved if willing or "How To" make them feel part of it. I have been pondering this myself.

One approach might be, asking on the car side what they want, like maybe a tour to a flower show, craft show, something that we can all share. The car thing might not be their bag and the flower show not ours but together we enjoy time together. Getting them to the meeting while the men folk speak of this and that, they coordinate where the next drive is to collectively. Just thinking and writing at the moment.

How about some teenagers? They need to be exposed to old technology so not to repeat something that has been already been made. Wrapping them in bubble wrap as some do is just something I can't fantom.

Just thinking

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Disclaimer : I've been married twice for a total of 28 years and I know absolutely nothing about women !! :? But I do know that they are all unique.

What helped with mom was, any antique store along the way was visited.
My wife just gets a kick out of it and likes to ride on the bike.
I remember the old club days, gatherings always had what seemed to be a competition among the ladies for the best deserts !! There was never any of mom's pies left !! :D

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 pm

Definitely an old white guy's hobby.

How many ladies belong to this forum? How many non-white? How many under 60?, well a small percentage under 60. But basically an old white guy's hobby.

Good that you would like to get the ladies involved, I'll be interested to see what you come up with. But as a cynical old white guy I doubt you will have any success.

I have, however, found a lot of girl's of all ages who enjoy a short ride in one of my T's!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by HalSched » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 am

I still have the T that I had in 1945 so my Vonnie got both of us when we got married 61 years ago. She now is VP and Tour Honcho in our club. Here we are in Hawaii a year ago:
SAM_1381.jpeg

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 am

Involve them in the planning so you find out what they like. Costumes seem popular, Tea parties, Ice Cream socials, shopping, Antique shops, food in general. Comfort in the car ( a relative term) can make a big difference, seat cushions in good shape, not too much wind etc. Rest and bathroom stops at regular intervals! Suffering may be good for the soul, but many women take a dim view of it! Hold forums to teach them the basic mechanics of the cars, so they have an idea of what's going on. Have a dinner where the guys do all the food prep, serving and cleanup. Talk to them, not at them, tell them what and why things are or need to be done a certain way, communication helps!

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:20 am

Sound advice Bill!
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:27 am

Fill the back seat with cash.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Topic author
Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:59 am

Bill, that is the advice we are looking for. Great ideas. We would not be owning a model T if we had a back seat full of cash, but not a bad idea. Thank you and keep them coming. Frank

Gil Fitzhugh
First Name: Gilbert
Last Name: Fitzhugh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCI Number: 20696

Post by Gil Fitzhugh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:50 pm

My wife hasn’t ridden in an antique car since an accident a couple of years ago. Before that, she went once in a while. I asked her how I should answer this query; here are some of her thoughts.

Ask your wife what she’d like to do. (If she says she never wants to see that smelly contraption again, it will be a short conversation, but at least you’ll know!) Joan said “factory” types of visits were usually boring, but that she’d been on a few that weren’t. We’ve gone to some Amish shops that were powered by hydraulic machinery, that she found interesting. Once we went to a place that carves the horses and other animals for carousels; Joan has degrees in art, does extensive water-coloring, and is a registered art therapist, so anything artistic is a plus. Joan has a horse, and has gone on horse-camping trips, so anything along that line will draw her interest. If your wife isn’t an artist, and doesn’t ride a horse, OK – what does she like, and is there a visit that would pique her curiosity? Maybe some of the wives should get together and plan some tours.

Is there a local theater or music hall that does matinees? Is there a local ball team that has an afternoon game? A public swimming beach?

We all have to eat, but where and what and how? Plan to have lunch at a nice place, not the local hash house, at least some of the time. Joan also suggested everybody pack a picnic, and then auction off the picnic baskets when you get to where you’re going to eat them.

Does your club tour in a snake, nose to tail like circus elephants? How boring! You’re reduced to the speed of the slowest car, and your passenger has nothing to do but sit and marinate in the fumes of all the Model Ts in front of you while she listens to you bitch about that T that can’t climb a hill worth a hoot. Either that, or she’s terrified because you’re trying to keep up with faster cars, and going over her (and your?) comfort level. You can’t stop for a picture, or take an interesting detour, or go for a walk through a little country cemetery. Rather, plan an interesting route (maybe have her plan it!), drive it ahead of time to be sure the instructions are correct, and then email the instructions to club members. Coffee’s at Joe’s collection, we have tables reserved at Maria’s Trattoria at noon, the art museum opens at 1:30 – see ya! Maybe leave a few hard copies at the cash register (or under a rock) at the starting place, and everybody go at his own pace. If there’s another couple or two who like the things you like and who like to drive their Ts at the same speed, fine; otherwise, we’ll see you at lunch. And your wife can navigate, instead of just staring at the tail light of the car ahead.

If none of this works, there’s always divorce! (This is my comment, not Joan’s!)

topkick7
First Name: Anthony
Last Name: Marino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C Cab Express Body TT, 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 10481
MTFCI Number: 22613

Post by topkick7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Just get her to take all the photos and videos while riding in the T:

http://www.spacecityts.org/wp/41st-annu ... 0-13-2018/
Anthony J. Marino
League City, Texas
http://www.spacecityts.org/

Playswithbrass
First Name: Peter
Last Name: McIntyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Playswithbrass » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Firstly, this is the wife. I think a lot of wives read the forum. Firstly, most of us know quite a bit about the cars we drive in. We have probably let a reasonable proportion of the family’s disposable income be spent on the antique car, and it is our car and not his! We are quite happy to tour and very good at map reading. We do not appreciate tours that turn our fingernails white from a death grip as we go vertically down a hill or wonder if the only way up the other side is to walk. We like a few places to stop, but husbands won’t stop if the interesting place is on the other side of a four lane highway or there is no easy way to pull off. I don’t mind factories- I have learned a lot going round some fairly obscure places. I like crafting as much as anyone but I don’t really fancy a tour around quilt shops. I like a reasonable lunch but again, a days drive shouldn’t turn into a $100 outing with gas and food. Again, I like safe roads, I like to notice what is going on, what the area we are driving through seems to thrive on. I do not like to feel that”the little lady needs to be indulged” We are intelligent, interesting people. It can’t be too hard to find a tour that takes our fancy.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 pm

In our local club, The Dairyland Tin Lizzies, we usually have two tech sessions per year. Of course, these are mostly for the guys. During these sessions, the ladies get together for a "Ladies Day Outing". They plan it and do their own thing, then most of us get together for dinner someplace afterwards. These have been very successful. We also plan tours to places that are interesting for everyone. On Memorial Day weekend, we do a 3 day tour to Door County, WI, often referred to as the "Cape Cod of the Midwest".

All the ideas mentioned in previous posts are good ones too. I think the concept of asking the ladies what they want to do or where to go (careful here :) ). Getting their input helps lots.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Post by Harry Lillo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Our Foothills Model T Club here in Calgary has had this very item on our meeting agenda for the past two meetings. We have asked for feedback from members (in particular the ladies) and a number of the feedback items have been echoed above.
We have also planed to substitute our June President's tour (usually a 60 to 80 mile one day tour) with a day of "driving lessons" and Model T car games. This will involve the ladies as well as new drivers. If the joy of owning a Model T is driving it, let's share that with our ladies. We have a few women drivers in our club, but need to have more. My wife loves driving my Orange Crush original racer on our acreage but hasn't driven a T on the open road yet.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Our local club started in the '60s as a family club with the ladies and kids invited to all activities. It has been second nature for the wives to plan picnics, tours, Christmas parties and all kinds of events. We became a chapter in a national club that has many women in leadership roles. They do a fantastic job.
Joy and I attended another club who found it offensive that I brought her to a meeting. They disbanded after a couple of years.
The women have been a great resource for us mainly because they are so active.
Rich
When did I do that?

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Playswithbrass wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Firstly, this is the wife. I think a lot of wives read the forum. Firstly, most of us know quite a bit about the cars we drive in. We have probably let a reasonable proportion of the family’s disposable income be spent on the antique car, and it is our car and not his! We are quite happy to tour and very good at map reading. We do not appreciate tours that turn our fingernails white from a death grip as we go vertically down a hill or wonder if the only way up the other side is to walk. We like a few places to stop, but husbands won’t stop if the interesting place is on the other side of a four lane highway or there is no easy way to pull off. I don’t mind factories- I have learned a lot going round some fairly obscure places. I like crafting as much as anyone but I don’t really fancy a tour around quilt shops. I like a reasonable lunch but again, a days drive shouldn’t turn into a $100 outing with gas and food. Again, I like safe roads, I like to notice what is going on, what the area we are driving through seems to thrive on. I do not like to feel that”the little lady needs to be indulged” We are intelligent, interesting people. It can’t be too hard to find a tour that takes our fancy.
This is one of the best posts I've read about clubs in many years....maybe ever.

I run the 54 Ford Club of America. We meet as a national club every two years and my wife tends to handle a lot of the planning. I don't know that I can add much to the above post though other than to say I wholeheartedly agree with her sentiments.
1924 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Several things. Teach her to drive the T. We have several women who drive their cars even with their husband along. Also at the meetings try to arrange some activities which will interest them. You can have a speaker and if possible with examples of clothing typical to what was worn in the Model T era. When you give door prizes, include some which the women would like. I guess I am fortunate in that my wife usually goes along with me to the meetings, tours and other events. I can even get her to go to the Bakersfield swap meet if I stop there on the way to Las Vegas!

One important thing about my wife is that I chose one who will help me! Before we married, I would be working on a car and she would hold the flashlight for me. She also holds some parts which take more than two hands to install. My son took girlfriend on their first date to an auto wrecking yard to look for parts. They have now been married about 20 years. Anyway, you first need the right woman, then include things she likes to do.
Norm

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Mopar_man » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Two of the best clubs I was in were in New Bern NC. One was a hot rod club that welcomed all cars. the other was an AACA chapter. Both clubs had the same format. We would meet at a place we could sit and eat. The Hot Rod club would meet at the Golden Corral and the AACA would meet at an an old folks home that served dinner. This would get everyone talking and eating together. Then we would have a program about something car related and then some info passed about goings on in the club.

I think the administration business of the club should be handled by the elected officials and not drag on during the meeting. You don't have to vote on everything. You elected people to do a job. Let them.

If you can get them driving. I never forget the face on my wife (then girlfriend) when she stepped on the gas of my 67 Dodge Charger with a 440. If you can afford it let them pick a car they want. My wife bought a 69 Dodge Super Bee. By the way she's asian. She loves the car. It may not be a T but it will get them into the old car hobby. Yes some will never want to get into the hobby but you never know.

Kids.... Let's face it this is the fate of our hobby. I'm 51 and my daughter is almost 14. She has been going to car shows since she was born. I have her working on cars New and Old anytime I am. Yes it's slow going. She may not know everything but that's ok.

I try to go to Carlisle PA For the big shows every year and they both go with me.

I think all the suggestions are good. You just have to start implementing them.
IMG_0273 (1).jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic