Model T in a long parade in May

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Model T in a long parade in May

Post by bdtutton » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:53 pm

I have been asked to participate in a parade that runs every May between our local twin cities. The parade route is about 3 miles and is mostly flat, but there is only one small section that goes uphill over a bridge. I regularly drive my 1914 Touring in 90 degree weather and I don't have any problems with it overheating unless I sit in a long drive through line at an idle. I plan to add a water pump to my car to help it keep cool while sitting and idling. It is usually in the mid 70s during the parade...will adding a water pump be enough? Also, how will the clutches hold up with the car sitting at a stop idling and then crawling ahead slowly while idling for 45 minutes? (I have the factory original style clutches)
I assume many of you have been in parades. What problems have you run into?

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Model T in a long parade in May

Post by George Mills » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:30 pm

My 02 would be that you are probably fine and nope on a water pump...

Answer a question or two for us...

how do you use your spark advance lever? Do you just drag it full down on go? Or, find the sweet spot for each situation and religiously use those settings?

how is your fuel mixture set? Could it be a little lean? Lean causes heat, heat makes water hot...there are ways to find the 'just right', about 100 different opinions...lol...some get lucky and have never had to worry about it...but its good to know before you lift the hood at dusk and have a cherry red fire-brand right in front of you.

As to how to actually drive through the parade...I have had Scandia bands, I have had Kevlar bands, and I have had wood bands ad my scheme is the same on all.

I set the 'stick' at full vertical...I set the spark/fuel to a good idle creep along...I manage to never fall behind...and then I just use the left foot only on the left pedal. It's low...or neutral...don't feather...on off as needed, let it roll to a stop or use the brake band...only overheated if the water level was trying to find the proper spot and I had topped off a little too generous...and that was hot overflow...not steam perking through the cap.

As a comment...I have found T's to run perfectly fine at 185-190 on a meat thermometer placed in the upper tank...they boil off of course at 212....doesn't leave much room but apparently just enough IF alleles is set right.

It's heresy...but...my son had something different, a more modern car, it would sit at the top edge of temp of ready to blow and if he even sneezed it would spew forth! To me new radiator time...to him, he could handle it...until I'd get the call. 'Boiled over again!' sooooo I ordered a bottle of 'water wetter' and had it shipped to his house. Not sure exactly how it works as folks say it makes it run cooler...not sure about that but I think if it raises the boiling point by 10 degrees or so....issue just moved on down and not in the wheelhouse for now. He'd tell you it worked!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:34 pm

If it's properly adjusted the clutch will be fine. I haven't driven in parades, but when I drove Sister Aimee to the revival last May my 1915 runabout had to wait at idle for about twenty minutes. It didn't overheat. Recored radiator, no pump, temperature in the seventies. In a parade or anywhere else, DO NOT ride the low pedal. Some drivers hold neutral with the pedal. I wouldn't do that, especially in a parade. I believe it's better to hold neutral with the lever to be sure the band is not riding the drum. When engaging low gear it's important to do it as quickly as possible without stalling the engine, and mash it down hard. This applies especially if your bands have Kevlar linings.

IMG_0539 copy.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:18 pm

"crawling ahead slowly" is a VERY bad idea

the way you want to play it is to: allow a gap to grow ahead of you and then lock in low at an idle and pull ahead and then wait as necessary

repeat

uphill on a bridge at that pace will not be fun and I personally would not participate with that challenge if there is any real slope to it

I personally would make a wooden block to place into the hand brake slot to keep the lever from going forward. You want either neutral or low with ZERO chance you EVER jump into high gear - at any time in the parade.

Don't retard the spark at all...allow the car to idle briskly with spark advanced as far as you can without knocking and you will very likely remain cool. Retard the spark to idle low and you will most certainly overheat.

I've done parades but after 2-3 of them I got it out of my system
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:33 pm

I've driven my 27 RPU in 3 parades all were in excess of 4 miles. The trick is to get as close to the front of the parade as possible. (less changes in speed and stopping near the front) I do not have a water pump and my car has never overheated on days of less than 95 degrees, although I have witnessed several more modern cars dropping out of the parade due to heat problems. Usually the parades around here are very strict about throwing things like "Candy" out of the car, dangerous for the children and their adult companions.
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:47 pm

I wouldn't throw her out as long as she behaved herself.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:41 pm

Bryan, all the advice so far has been spot on. I would ask when you were in drive thru lines, how did you know it was overheating? Do you have a motometer? Is it barfing and/or peeing coolant out the overflow? You might not actually be overheating. Lots of people think their T's are overheating, I did too, until I put a motometer on and discovered it wasn't really overheating, just sounded like it might be.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:06 pm

Bryan, you have gotten a lot of very good advice on this thread, however, I would add one more thing that I did not see here. Perhaps there are those that would not agree, however, I personally feel that the Model T's natural tendency to "creep" forward while the emergency brake is in neutral position can be used to great advantage, especially in a parade on level pavement. If the ol' girl wants to creep, so be it! Many times, this tendency to creep will completely eliminate the need to depress the low pedal at all, and if so, all the better. As was mentioned above, when you do have to depress the low pedal for forward movement, do it at as low rpm as possible and press the pedal down quickly and firmly enough to immediately lock up the band and drum with no slippage at all. Bands do not wear, and drums do not heat up at all with band/drum locked up solidly. FWIW,.....harold

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:12 pm

If you have a good radiator which is clean the water pump won't help. It might cause it to warm up too slowly, especially in cold weather.
A Ruckstell is a very good accessory for parades. You can leave in the low range and use T low with it. It is quite slow at a fast idle in Low-low. I set the parking brake to the neutral position. And when I go forward, I push all the way down the pedal. If stopped I take my left foot all the way off the pedal. That way you are not slipping the low band or the high speed if everything is adjusted correctly. So I just use my left foot on the clutch and the right one on the brake. I usually go on a parade in July which is up a minor hill. No overheating problems. Some parades you can do some zig zag down the route so you are not sitting in idle as often. If they allow you to throw out candy, you can zig and toss some candy when you see a group of kids. Just be careful it is off to the side and not in front of you!
Norm
DSCF2802.jpg

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:42 pm

If the road is wide enough, drive in circles to keep the car moving. The crowd loves it. Let the group behind you know that you will be doing this. They will hold back. If there is anyone throwing candy in front of you, watch closely. Kids will see an M&M in the middle of the street and never see you.

Topic author
bdtutton

Post by bdtutton » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:01 pm

Thank you for the good replies....in response.....
Yes, I have a moto meter to keep tabs on the engine temperature. That is how I know it gets warm in long fast food drive through lines.
Yes, I plan to put the car in neutral and just use my left foot to move ahead. I also plan to double check all my clutch adjustments to get the very best neutral I can before the parade so there is the least amount of unnecessary wear as possible.
Yes, I wish I had a Ruckstell because having a low/low in a parade would be a nice option. Maybe next year.
Yes, I have a good, clean radiator that works well, but I believe a water pump would improve things.
I wish I had one of those foot operated trolley bells because I imagine that my hand will be tired squeezing the horn bulb so many times...
Anyone with Model T parade experience feel free to add any additional words of advice.
Attachments
Model_T_at_Jones.jpg

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:08 pm

Very, very seriously consider making a (wood?) block to physically stop the brake lever from going forward.

plowing through Miss Nancy's tutu-wearing 8 year-old majorettes is not an event in which you want to participate.

my cars, particularly with respect to brake quadrant and pawls are in top notch shape and yet I would never consider a parade without such a physical block in place

Once you're in the hobby long enough, you will witness a T "leaping" into something it shouldn't. It is just a matter of time.

Don't be that guy.
Scott Conger

Topic author
bdtutton

Post by bdtutton » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:47 pm

Scott,
I have heard stories about old cars jumping into gear. (My neighbor's 55 Crown Victoria did it with nobody in the car.) I've never had a problem with my Model T, but I am still a newbie to this hobby. I could make a simple block that drops down into the slot with a flat piece on top to keep it from dropping through to prevent the brake lever from going forward. The last thing I would want to do is to hurt someone during the parade.
Has anyone else had their old car surge ahead unexpectedly?

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:01 pm

your description of the wood is perfect

have a fun time
Scott Conger

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by aDave » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:14 pm

I'm with Scot ...I've been in 3 or 4 parades and no more for me. I do not have an aux transmission. Stop and go===stop and go...PLUS our old vehicles were always towards the rear...just in front of the emergency vehicles. Having sirens blasting in your ears for an hour (or close to it) is NOT fun.
Noise...kiddies running after candy is another hazard.
Not in a parade, but I do have a friend who had his depot hack in idle, and he left the driver's seat to get something from the garage.He returned to the csr just in time to see it driving itself over a small embankment down the hill into a tree. Bent the frame and a lot of sheet metal. Insurance company totaled it. It WAS a really noice hack. The brake lever slipped out of the notches.
Yes...block the emergency brake...always, when the car is running and you are not in the seat.'
Good Luck...Dave

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:39 am

Has anyone else had their old car surge ahead unexpectedly?

Yes. My 1915 runabout ran over me. But it didn't jump into gear. It was in neutral but with cold oil, and I forgot to chock the wheels.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic