Door Glass in 1927 Coupe

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BLB27
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Brakke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe
MTFCA Number: 31192

Door Glass in 1927 Coupe

Post by BLB27 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:38 pm

How difficult should it be to roll up the door glass? I have installed new safety glass in the drivers side door, and it is very, very hard to roll up. The glass is very tight in the channel.

I am in the process of installing the glass in the passenger side door. I have placed the glass into the channels but have not installed the raising mechanism. I can barely move the glass up and down by hand. It is that tight in the channels, so the mechanism would never be able to raise the glass.

The original glass was used by the glass store to cut the new glass. I am considering having the store make two new pieces that would be cut 1/8 inch narrower.

Distagon2
First Name: Gregory
Last Name: Jones
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1912 Commercial Roadster
MTFCA Number: 10114

Re: Door Glass in 1927 Coupe

Post by Distagon2 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:48 pm

When I restored my 26 coupe, this had to be one of the most time consuming, labor intensive tasks. The window should really be able to roll up and down with relative ease with the hand crank. I suspect your reproduction channels might be a tad too "fat" causing binding. Is it possible to remove material from the backs of the channels, then try the fit? This is what I had to do....several times. One word of caution is to go slow when removing material from the backs of the channels. If you remove to much, then the glass becomes sloppy in the channel and can wedge which is as much of a headache as you have now. Of course if you do remove too much, you can shim it back. Hope this makes a little sense.
I would think that you could have the shop cut some new glass narrower, as you say. You may still need to custom fit those channels to get it just right.

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:08 pm

I had similar troubles using the vendor channels on my 27 Tudor. I ended up returning the kit and using channel sourced from Stanpro. They have been merged with another company now. I had to transfer the clips from my old channel to the new.
Attachments
window channel apw.JPG

Topic author
BLB27

Post by BLB27 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:50 pm

Thanks Gregory and John that's useful information.

I would also appreciate input from others.

Topic author
BLB27

Post by BLB27 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:59 pm

If I decide to replace the new glass and have the replacement cut narrower, how much narrower should I make it? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Distagon2
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1912 Commercial Roadster

Post by Distagon2 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:18 pm

Rather than cut new glass, I believe you can take your glass back to the shop and they can sand down the edges. How much? Hard for us to say, really, without "being there." I would take a little off (assuming the shop will cooperate with you) and tell them what you are trying to accomplish. I would take (just guessing here) about 1/32" off and try the fit. Rinse and repeat as necessary. All this assumes the glass shop will work with you.

Topic author
BLB27

Post by BLB27 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:16 pm

It is tempered glass. I will check with store, but I believe the edges can't be sanded.

Distagon2

Post by Distagon2 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:24 pm

Yeah, I thought about that just a few minutes ago. Works with laminate, but surely not with tempered glass! You could go the route of cutting new glass and if you think 1/8" less in width might do it, then go with that. If that turns out to be too much you can shim behind the felt channels to get it just right. As I said earlier, I spent a lot of time getting the glass in the door windows "just right" so they would roll up and down like they did when new. It is worth the effort, hang in there!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic