Voltage Regulator Instructions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Voltage Regulator Instructions

Post by namdc3 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:35 am

Could someone send me or post the original instructions for a Fun Projects 6V regulator? Thanks!

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Re: Voltage Regulator Instructions

Post by JTT3 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:13 pm

Yes it says if working send to me. Ha
Attachments
85686663-F95F-418B-8DB0-6EFC5C712F26.jpeg
E297F6FC-2E0B-407E-8DDD-421B77B588FC.jpeg

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:24 pm

What happened to the "new" voltage regulator project??
Was a prefered design created?
When will a complete unit or "kit" be available to the less DIY electronically inclined?

Topic author
namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:26 pm

Thanks! This is perfect.

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:51 pm

speedytinc wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:24 pm
What happened to the "new" voltage regulator project??
Was a prefered design created?
When will a complete unit or "kit" be available to the less DIY electronically inclined?
John,

There were several designs that worked well. JohnH and TonyB quite liked the simple LM393 comparator cct and as far as I know it's still working well for JohnH in his car.

Both John and Tony created PCB's, as did John Housego in the UK, and I think AdminJeff was looking at another (using a TL431?).

The idea of a complete unit, or a kit, was discussed amongst several of us; Tony and John (UK) had thought about producing PCB's at least, and Mike K was very helpful with regard to this. However these haven't progressed further (to the best of my knowledge), perhaps in part because the apparent interest didn't seem all that high.

Technically there's no reason why these couldn't be produced, and the design is open-source so there's no copyright restrictions. The boards could be produced by various PCB manufacturers (and populated by them) reasonably inexpensively, but they'd require some managing and marketing. For many of us our interest and/or abilities stopped a little before that point.

For those with experience of such things Tom Litwin pointed out some issues from when he'd thought about a production run of built-up units, and although I've not spoken with him recently Mike Kossor may well have come up with a similar conclusion. The reality is that the market is small, the time required is probably quite high, and people who do this as a business need to make a reasonable $ out of it.

That said, because these will work with the Model A and other three-brush Ford generators it's my view that there will be people wanting such a solution for a while yet, and that it'd be worthwhile someone producing them, perhaps as what we'd call a 'cottage industry', which typically works on a different business model...

Looks like my intended quick/short answer has grown a little! Hopefully it explains the current state of play to you and any others still interested in regulators.

Luke.

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 pm

Luke wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:51 pm

There were several designs that worked well. JohnH and TonyB quite liked the simple LM393 comparator cct and as far as I know it's still working well for JohnH in his car.
Yes, the regulator is still working well. It's now about 14 months since I first tested the circuit, which was later built up in its final form in a cutout housing. In that time, the car has been driven about 4000km (2500 miles).
There have been a few private enquiries about what happened with the project, and I've summed it up pretty much as Luke has just described.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:07 pm

When ever the "regulator issue comes up, lots of folks pine for a fun projects unit.
I would think there is sufficient demand for a first run.
Marketing them here would be 0 cost & a good gauge.
There is the issue of what voltage. This complicates things. there is certainly use for 6, 8 & 12 v units, which is why I suggested a micro switch to select any of the 3 voltages in one unit. I dont know if that would be feasible.

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BHarper » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:33 am

I would be interested in three 6 volt regulators.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:50 am

Sign me up for One, 6 Volt negative ground, thanks. jb

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:59 am

I'll take one 6volt as well to help the cause. Are old need old cut-out bodies needed?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jmeredith
First Name: Jesse
Last Name: MEREDITH
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe
MTFCA Number: 52427
MTFCI Number: 25826

Post by Jmeredith » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:04 pm

I’ll take one 6 volt also.

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:31 pm

I'm sure the Model A guys are having the same problems. I have a Model A myself, but had previously installed a Fun Projects regulator before the business was sold. It's always worked great and I'm sorry that other T and A guys are now unable to buy from FP any more.

It has crossed my mind that the Model A guys might present a larger market for someone new to jump into the business of supplying new regulators. That would be especially true if both the A and the T demand were combined.

I will try to contact Paul Shinn (the Model A website) to ask him about this.

Dick

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:31 pm

a quick scan of production numbers between '19 and '27 says far more starter equipped T's were made than the entire "A" production, so am not sure it's a sure bet that the "A" population is larger. The only thing I'd bet on is that the bulk of "A" folks prefer their cars to be "correct" and far fewer "T" guys give a hoot and just slap on alternators.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:29 pm

are these still made? Model A & B positive ground
Attachments
A vr.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:07 pm

I would be interested in two of these!

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:44 pm

As far as I know, a T generator can be polarized to operate in a positive ground system. It would be necessary to re-polarize the generator, reverse the battery cables, and reverse the wires on the ammeter. The lights and coils on a T don't care if the system is negative or positive ground.

I don't know whether the A regulator shown above would tolerate a negative ground system or not, or if the proposed electronic T regulators would tolerate a positive ground system or not.

I'd think that by converting the T system to positive ground, one regulator design could work on Ts, As, Bs, and early V8s. Some early Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge + ground vehicles might also be candidates (?)

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:28 pm

I found that same page as well, Frank. But I can't seem to drill down into their website to look at the regulator itself. Probably just not computer savvy enough.

Have you tried to look into the catalog to see details for ordering from Ford Garage ?

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:57 am

otrcman wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:28 pm
I found that same page as well, Frank. But I can't seem to drill down into their website to look at the regulator itself. Probably just not computer savvy enough.

Have you tried to look into the catalog to see details for ordering from Ford Garage ?
I found the HOME page https://www.fordgarage.com/
Scrolling down - lots of documentation and original parts catalogs. Think the site is more reference of Model A & B information like Cimorelli is for Model T. https://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/1925/default.htm

Perhaps contacting the maker I found an email address for him on The Ford Barn site withe the same info below email: jpetersonbend@yahoo.com
model a VR.png
model a VR.png (111.93 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic