Making a wheel

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Making a wheel

Post by DHort » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbowovVdYyE

Thank you to Jarrod Williams for this video. I have not seen it before.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Making a wheel

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:41 pm

Wow! A very interesting, eye opening video. Very fast, repetitious and dangerous work. With such fast moving machinery, I can see where frequent, life changing accidents would have been a problem. No health insurance or Worker’s Comp back then. Did you see how fast and close the guy’s hand came to that saw blade? If he lost his concentration or got distracted for a moment, there goes a finger. I’ll bet they had to ban pretty women from the floor. They sure did earn their $5.00/day. Jim Patrick
Last edited by jiminbartow on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:56 pm

When you watch the video, click on the settings cog and set the playback speed at .75.

Silent films where typically shot at 16 to 18 frames per second but unfortunately, when they are transferred to video, they are done so at 24 frames per second which is the standard for sound films.

If you set the playback speed to .75, you will see more realstic action but it still seems a little fast. It was probably originally filmed anywhere from 12 to 16 frames per second.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:47 am

If I remember correctly, 8mm cameras and projectors ran at 16 fps, and I believe that was a common speed in the silent era for 35mm professional film. When talkies came in a sound strip was added along the edge of the 35mm film, and the speed was raised to 24 fps for better sound quality. Long before there was video recording, we usually saw silent movies shown on sound equipment that made the action much faster than what the original audiences in the silent era saw.

IMG_2431 copy 2.JPG

My first movie camera had a wind-up motor. I'm pretty sure it ran at 16 fps.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 am

Interesting to see at 6:06, the hub bolts are cut off to length with some heavy shears before peening in the next frames, i thought Ford would use bolts of the proper length.
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:46 am

I really enjoyed the painting process. I'll bet a lot of workers had the nickname "NUBBY". bobt

BUSHMIKE
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Cushway
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 TT, 1926 TT, 1926 TT
MTFCA Number: 52588

Post by BUSHMIKE » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 am

The manufacturing process of shearing of bolts to length probably utilized a “common” fastener used in several applications. The process itself was no doubt far cheaper that the cumulative costs added by purchasing, receiving, storage, and timely distribution of a specific length fastener. Fascinating video and an OSHA nightmare.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:39 am

Movie cameras back then were not electric or automatic, but manually cranked and they had it within their power to go as fast or slow as they wanted. The speed of the film depended upon the experience of the cameraman and how fast he turned the crank. Some cameramen cranked too fast and some were pretty good at cranking at a more lifelike speed so that when shown it didn’t go in fast motion. Ford would have employed only the best cameramen. Since their films were educational or promotional films they certainly didn’t want them to look like the silent comedies of the era that intentionally went fast for comedic purposes. Also, going too fast would have made the various processes almost impossible to see. Jim Patrick

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am

bobt wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:46 am
I really enjoyed the painting process. I'll bet a lot of workers had the nickname "NUBBY". bobt
LOL..I agree! Also with Leo above, you woulda thought the correct length bolt woulda been used.

I'm always amazed at the invention and engineering in making the machines that "invented" the wheel! Can you imagine
how noisy this place had to be? And a lot of those machines, well, lets face it obviously good thing there was no OSHA back then, or should I say, it's too bad it WASN'T!

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:21 am

I’m a little too careful and meticulous to have lasted long in that place. I would have been in perpetual conflict with Ford’s roaming goons who would have been been constantly on my case for going too slow. Everyone would have had to work their stations at the same constant speed to prevent a slow down or stoppage in the line. The workers would not have been able to take breaks because the machines never stopped. It would have been a hot, noisy, dangerous, hellish place to work, but there would have been crowds of workers standing in line to take the place of workers who could not cut it. Jim Patrick

BUSHMIKE
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Cushway
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 TT, 1926 TT, 1926 TT
MTFCA Number: 52588

Post by BUSHMIKE » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:46 am

Not to derail the thread but I spent 11 years working in Kingsford in the old Ford toolroom. At that time there were plenty of old-timers who would tell horror stories of Fords goons. Broken arms hauling men out of the bathroom who were in more than a minute or two. House raids if you were suspected of shopping ANYWHERE except the Ford Store or had suspected alcohol in the house. Both resulting in instant firing and loss of any earned pay. Ford apparently had a small army of spy’s everywhere you turned……

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:38 am

Let's see----15 million Model T's x 48 spokes per car = 720 million spokes. That's a lotta spokes! bobt

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:32 pm

BUSHMIKE wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:46 am
Not to derail the thread but I spent 11 years working in Kingsford in the old Ford toolroom. At that time there were plenty of old-timers who would tell horror stories of Fords goons. Broken arms hauling men out of the bathroom who were in more than a minute or two. House raids if you were suspected of shopping ANYWHERE except the Ford Store or had suspected alcohol in the house. Both resulting in instant firing and loss of any earned pay. Ford apparently had a small army of spy’s everywhere you turned……
Yeh I sure's heck couldn't stand that repetitive routine. And a lot of those positions were just downright dangerous. I too have read of those "goons" doing house raids after work hours to make sure Henry's workers abided by the "living code". God help you if you smoked too. There was a long list of requirements to be "priveleged" to work in a Ford factory as well as live in a "Ford town". Must've been awful.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:49 pm

How much can be believed? as they say, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" A bit like the feuding between Ford and Dodge brothers so-called starting in 1914, yes a lot of legal back and forth, so let the lawyers sort it out, The Dodge Bro's still went to Edsel's wedding in Dec 1916.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:54 pm

Even at 0.75 playback speed, the work still looks repetitious and fast, I wonder how long their shifts were between breaks?
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Topic author
DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:19 pm

I have never heard the term "NUBBY'. Would that be someone that lost parts of their fingers?

jwilliams81
First Name: Jarrod
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring with electric starter, low radiator
MTFCA Number: 51326

Post by jwilliams81 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:41 am

Thanks for posting it over here! I was too excited when I found it and only posted it on the Facebook page :lol:
DHort wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:59 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbowovVdYyE

Thank you to Jarrod Williams for this video. I have not seen it before.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:02 pm

Ford could not tolerate drunk or hung-over workers, or butt-hurt slackers, or the persistently inept, except by pricing his product a good bit higher. An impaired worker would have been a hazard to himself and others, as well as to the company. The Ford plants were among the cleanest and safest industrial workplaces in early 20th Century, if not the safest. A great many rural people moved to Detroit and other manufacturing centers to get steady employment and avoid a life of drudgery on family farms or as hired farm hands and to get on a path to prosperity rather than mere survival. Farm life in those days was HARD work, and hazards were many. The advent of combustion power made life a good deal easier for farm people who could afford it, but it drastically reduced the manpower needed to run even a small operation. That drove a lot of young people off the farms. As a farm boy with too many brothers on a small family farm, you'd have little choice but to move to town and seek employment or join the army. Faced with a choice between the packing houses of Chicago or the steel mills of Pittsburgh or the coal mines of Appalachia or Ford factories in Detroit, I'd take Ford and Detroit any day. Ford offered good pay, medical care, education, and indoor work on a regular schedule. Prior to 1913, a sober workman who avoided debt owned his pay 100%. Banks paid interest on cash deposits. Opportunity and ownership were the real "Golden Door".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic