LED Light lamp to replace carbide headlight?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Catbird
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Marsh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster, 1914 Touring, 1923 Depot Hack, 1925 Calliope, 1926 Pickup, 1927 Speedster

LED Light lamp to replace carbide headlight?

Post by Catbird » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:29 pm

LED Light lamp to replace carbide headlight? I would like to install LED lamp in a carbide headlight. Where can I find bright ones?

Here is a picture from Lang to show what I want. These sold by Lang are too dim according to their description. Looking for something brighter.

[EDITED]
I did not mean that I was impugning Lang's product here is their copy with these lights

"The LED bulbs are not as bright as the original carbide bulbs or some of the halogen bulbs that has been offered over the years. They will be able to be used to get some light out of the car but if you are planning to drive at night a brighter bulb is suggested."
Attachments
2931877l.jpg
Last edited by Catbird on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

You can dissect a Model T; but you can’t kill it!

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: LED Light lamp to replace carbide headlight?

Post by KWTownsend » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:31 am

What is wrong with acetylene?
IMG_0464.JPG
: ^ )

Topic author
Catbird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster, 1914 Touring, 1923 Depot Hack, 1925 Calliope, 1926 Pickup, 1927 Speedster

Post by Catbird » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:40 am

We have the brass headlights and do not have anything that supports acetylene. No plumbing. No generator.

We do have a 12v system. I want the ease of having electric lighting. My headlights, sidelights and tail lights are repops.
Bill

BRENT in 10-uh-C
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Terry
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Tourabout, 1914 Runabout, 1915 Touring, 1916 Speedster, 1925 Speedster, 1926 Hack
MTFCA Number: 32295
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BRENT in 10-uh-C » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:04 am

Catbird wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:29 pm
LED Light lamp to replace carbide headlight? I would like to install LED lamp in a carbide headlight. Where can I find bright ones?

Here is a picture from Lang to show what I want. These sold by Lang are too dim according to their description. Looking for something brighter.
I think "too dim" is an arguable statement. I have some of Tim's LED lights just like in the picture in my 1914's lights, -and they are great for in-town traffic coming home from a show or dinner where street lights also help illuminate the way. In a rural area without any street lights, most would agree they are probably not enough light HOWEVER I'm sure we all agree they are a vast improvement over the lumens created by just a carbide flame. :lol:

Have you considered temporarily adding an auxiliary LED driving light under each fender, or possibly temporarily mounting a small LED light bar onto the front axle? The size wiring required for this is very small and could be discreetly placed when not connected to the light(s). Harbor Freight and other places make some very strong magnets that would be perfect for temporarily mounting auxiliary driving lights to these locations on your T to supplement the Brass lamp LED lights.

bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Post by bdtutton » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:24 am

I tried using those LED lights in my 1914 Touring car and they were not very good. It did not help that my headlight mirrors were also scratched up. If I was on a country road with no traffic going slow they were OK, but as soon as there was a lot of traffic the only thing I could see was the light from other cars.
I replaced those LED lights with the Headlight Quartz Conversion Kit and they are very bright.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/prod ... &cat=41889
I also replaced my mirrors with the nickel plated brass replacements
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/prod ... &cat=41889
I bought my mirrors from Chaffins because they were out of stock everywhere else. The replacements are not as good as original mirrors, but I could not find any glass replacement mirrors at the time.
Make sure you run wires and fuses that are heavy enough to handle the load of these bulbs. After they are properly set up and adjusted they work well and very few people can even tell you have bulbs in your headlights. Last October I drove my Model T to work and had to go out to a client location after work and was there until well after dark. I had to drive almost 30 miles in the dark to get home and the first 15 miles had a lot of traffic. I was grateful to have bright headlights, bright tail/brake lights and bright turn signals. Bright turn signals are really nice at night when you are changing lanes. No one would have even been able to see my arm out the window.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:35 pm

Bryan, do you know what the bulb number is if had to be replaced? I'm interested in seeing what's available in either filament & LED to see there specifications (watts & lumens). Thanks

Also if anyone has the amber led version would like to know its bulb number too. May not be the same. Both appear to be mini wedge base bulbs
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:18 pm

I agree with Keith!
20210101_131537_resized.jpg
Attachments
20210101_124804_resized.jpg
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Topic author
Catbird

Post by Catbird » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:24 pm

wrote: Make sure you run wires and fuses that are heavy enough to handle the load of these bulbs. After they are properly set up and adjusted they work well and very few people can even tell you have bulbs in your headlights. Last October I drove my Model T to work and had to go out to a client location after work and was there until well after dark. I had to drive almost 30 miles in the dark to get home and the first 15 miles had a lot of traffic. I was grateful to have bright headlights, bright tail/brake lights and bright turn signals. Bright turn signals are really nice at night when you are changing lanes. No one would have even been able to see my arm out the window.
Bryan, I really like the quartz bulbs. Will get some. I see these are 55watts. I am updating wiring in our several Model Ts and I want to see and be seen! "Seen" is in the case of people see me and don't run into me!

So where did you get the sidelights and tail light bulbs/sockets? Your link about the quartz lights is wonderful.

Will have turn signals in sidelights and tail lights.

I am looking at these ceramic sockets for quartz or LED
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXL6MLD/re ... RydWU&th=1

Here are some bulbs - LED warm 50 watt halogen output
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1 ... C4VN3&th=1

Quite a few halogen bulbs if you like these and fit the above sockets, ordering and will get back to you.
https://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Replacem ... 59&sr=8-10
Bill

bdtutton

Post by bdtutton » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:16 pm

Hello,
As for replacing the bulb, as I said, I originally purchased the halogen bulb assemblies through Snyder's https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/prod ... &cat=41889
the assemblies are very well made and really nice. They have a custom made holder that threads directly onto the gas burner pedestal. The bulbs are epoxied into the holder to make sure they are held exactly at the center of the mirror. The bulbs seem to be of a high quality that will last a long time. Unfortunately, I had to have one replaced because I took my headlight apart to repaint it and I dropped the assembly and broke the bulb.
When you purchase these bulbs there are instructions stating that if you have any problems, please contact "Ron Gocek" who is the guy at "Vintage Brass Works" that hand made them. I sent my holder with the broken bulb in and he epoxied a new bulb into the holder and quickly sent it back....and it did not cost that much. Ron was very helpful. I am sure that if you have any questions he would be happy to answer them for you. Ron is at 610-614-1943 and his business is in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. He may be starting to make LED versions now, but you would have to ask him.

bdtutton

Post by bdtutton » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:45 pm

Bill,
In reference to the other bright lights on the car. When I was restoring my car in 2020 there were a lot of parts that were hard to find so some of the parts I picked were by availability, but they work well. As for the tail/brake lights I used a light from a 1919 model T and replaced the bulbs with the brightest 12v LED running/brake light bulb I could find. I also modified the oil lamp to accept a bright LED tail/brake lamp so I have a third light on the back.

Tail light/Brake light (two of them)
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/prod ... 82700&cat=
Mount for the light (two of them)
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/prod ... &cat=41888

As for the turn signals....the only ones I could find at the time were kind that were on my Model A. They may not look like they should be on a Model T, but they are bright, reliable and the controller is easy to hide.

Here is where I got the kit...Item Number: 236-607
https://www.logolites.com/products/turn-signals/

If you select the picture you can zoom in and see them under the headlights and over the back fender.
Attachments
Model_T_at_Jones.jpg

Tim D
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Dickson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 speedster 1911 Torepdo
MTFCI Number: 17002

Post by Tim D » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:55 am

I am the one making the LED kits . new brighter bulbs have been found Langs should have them in stock now. If you would like the new bulbs please get a hold of me . Old bulbs were 2w equal to 20watt halogen bulb. The new bulbs are 5w equal to 50w halogen . Plus the LED bulbs draw a lot less amps, also the LED bulbs are replaceable if they burn out. Some people like the warm glow of the 2w as it looks original and some people want the super bright for driving. The reflectors play a big part in any type of bulb used .

Topic author
Catbird

Post by Catbird » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:13 am

Tim D wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:55 am
I am the one making the LED kits . new brighter bulbs have been found Langs should have them in stock now. If you would like the new bulbs please get a hold of me . Old bulbs were 2w equal to 20watt halogen bulb. The new bulbs are 5w equal to 50w halogen . Plus the LED bulbs draw a lot less amps, also the LED bulbs are replaceable if they burn out. Some people like the warm glow of the 2w as it looks original and some people want the super bright for driving. The reflectors play a big part in any type of bulb used .
Good to hear you responding, Tim. I like all the above! Will check out the 5w/50watt LED bulbs. I do like the warm glow/ I guess these are 3000k? I like to buy from Lang. We all need to support you because you support our Hobby/Addiction of Model T cars.
Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic