White Tire Longevity Data

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

White Tire Longevity Data

Post by bdtutton » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:07 pm

There were no white tires available when I was restoring my 1914 Touring in 2020-2021 so I put black tires on it. When I saw the recent posting by Model T Ron it reminded me how much I like white tires even though they will not last as long as the black tires. I have heard all kinds of numbers, but I don't know if there is any real data on this subject.
So here is my question...I know many of you tour with your cars. Has anyone actually measured how many miles they were able to drive their new white tires? (Not new old stock or old tires.) Have the manufacturers published any information on the wear characteristics of the new white tires?
Second question...How hard are they to keep clean? I know the treads will always be dirty, but I was thinking the sides should not be any harder than the wide whitewalls I have on my Model A. Am I wrong?
Any other hints and tips from someone like Model T Ron that runs white tires and actually drives their car?
Thank you...

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: White Tire Longevity Data

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:27 pm

So many variables affect tire mileage, it's impossible to say how long your tires would last. I'm guessing that, under favorable conditions of use, a good set of black tires could run 10 to 12 thousand miles or more. White tires of similar quality might do 8 to 10 thousand miles under the same ideal conditions. The major difference in black and white tires, as I understand it, is that black tires contain a lot of carbon black, which is basically soot. The carbon black improves wear qualities and prevents decay from sunlight and general weathering. It may also be that black tires can be made of more durable rubber compounds, since the color of the rubber compound is not very important, where-as a white tire is expected to be white.

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:19 pm

As long as you don’t run out of tread & of course paint. Ha.
Attachments
ABFD41CF-3F1C-483C-8CDC-849CA0C03616.jpeg
ABFD41CF-3F1C-483C-8CDC-849CA0C03616.jpeg (54.34 KiB) Viewed 709 times

Model T Ron
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Bakow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Model T Touring
MTFCI Number: 25350

Post by Model T Ron » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:29 pm

I tried painting tires white and going forward I would only do a white wall. I think the universal ribbed would look good with a painted whitewall. Same design as the White version I have on my car.

Model T Ron
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Bakow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Model T Touring
MTFCI Number: 25350

Post by Model T Ron » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:40 pm

I know some people drive thousands of miles a year in a T but for me 1500 to 2000 is about it. Let's be honest most people have tires age out and crack before the tread is near worn out. My car had a set of firestones from the 90's and they were cracked so bad that when I demounted them chunks cracked off...... tread was at about 75%. If you like the white tires go out and get them......I did, looks are amazing and I have no regrets.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:43 am

My car seems to enjoy running, and I certainly enjoy driving it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic