Wood Spoked Wheel Wobble.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TBill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Obier
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 TT, 1913 Speedster (WIP)
MTFCA Number: 28973

Wood Spoked Wheel Wobble.

Post by TBill » Fri May 03, 2019 12:04 pm

How much wheel wobble, or any, is normal or acceptable?

I re-spoked three wheels and all four have about 1/4” of wobble.

On another T I recently acquired I notice about the same. I haven’t checked my TT yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Wood Spoked Wheel Wobble.

Post by CudaMan » Fri May 03, 2019 2:03 pm

I recall having read in past year's posts that 1/4 inch was within Ford's original tolerance for wood wheels.

That said, you can try to improve it by slightly loosening the hub bolts, pushing the rim as required to reduce the runout, then re-tightening the hub bolts. Be sure to use Loctite or peen over the ends of the bolts after tightening to keep the nuts from backing off over time. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:07 pm

I've seen brand new modern steel wheels with close to 1/4" lateral and/or radial runout !! Tires not any better...on brand new cars !! :roll:

Topic author
TBill
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 TT, 1913 Speedster (WIP)

Post by TBill » Sat May 04, 2019 6:35 am

Thanks.

Loctite is a good idea!

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sat May 04, 2019 8:01 am

I agree with Mark about using Loctite, especially if you are using the original style bolts and nuts that the vendors sell, no need to pein the threads and ruin the the nuts and or the bolts if they need to be taken apart later down the road. I would use the blue Loctite myself as it can be tightened/removed without heat if needed, but will still hold the nuts as needed. Red Loctite IS going to stay, unless heated, but that's doable too. As I recall,the good repro bolts and nuts look like the original ones, but are much stronger. JMHO Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat May 04, 2019 8:47 am

...the good repro bolts and nuts look like the original ones, but are much stronger.

That's one place where original isn't better. Reusing the original bolts is penny wise and pound foolish. Any wheel I assemble gets the new RV Anderson bolts.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat May 04, 2019 10:05 am

Is it the wheel that is wobbling or the rim? You failed to mention the year of your car which would help!

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Post by NorthSouth » Sat May 04, 2019 7:54 pm

The rear driver side wood wheel on my 15 touring wobbles too. So much so that anybody traveling behind me on tour will be sure to make me aware of it. I have been told this could be many things from a loose spoke to a bent axle. I think the only way to figure this out definitively is to take it to Lomita and have Larry Smith check it out. I would have to do the actual labor of course and, in this particular scenario, reassemble it only with year correct parts, original if possible.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat May 04, 2019 10:52 pm

Radial runout of even less than 1/4" in NOT acceptable in any driver car. The lateral is much more tolerable because it doesn't shake the body. We need to know more which type of wheel you have.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 am

Its not an easy task, but you can limit the run-out and wobble by playing around with the way it sits on the mounting points of the Felloe. My right rear was always a problem, after a bit of maneuvering and adjustment it was pretty manageable to the point i couldn't feel it while driving. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSDHjgIbYqI
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Topic author
TBill

Post by TBill » Wed May 08, 2019 6:12 am

This is a 1926 Fordor. It was all original but had no wheels. I acquired used wheels without rims and tires to get it home. Three of the four needed to be re-spoked. I bought the spokes from Lang’s, viewed a video and pressed them in. Probably too tight. All three wobbled but the left front was worse. The hub on that one is different. It has a shoulder which I assume is for a speedometer gear. I disassembled it and sanded the spokes with a jig and reassembled so as not so tight. I remounted on car with the hub bolts loose and was able to adjust all but about 1/4” of wobble out. Now all wheels are about the same. All wheel bearings and races are new. Wobble is lateral only.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic