Ruckstell Terminology

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Ruckstell Terminology

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:24 pm

As a long-time participant of the forum, i have observed a lot of confusion within many "Ruckstell discussions" on the forum. I believe the confusion comes from so many different terms (or words) to explain the two driveline ratios (or positions) of the Ruckstell; some say "low-Ruckstell" and "high-Ruckstell", or "underdrive and overdrive" etc, etc,... or like "Original Smith" correctly states,...."you're either in Ruckstell or you're not", and he's absolutely right! I believe that if Ruckstell terminology was what I'll call "standardized" in our forum discussions, there would be a lot less confusion when discussing the 2-speed Ruckstell rear end. More appropriate would be something like Ruckstell reduction (RR) and Ruckstell Direct (RD). Terms like "hi" or "low" Ruckstell suggests that Ruckstell is an "overdrive", which of course it is not. Just my thoughts, FWIW,....harold

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Re: Ruckstell Terminology

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:45 pm

Thanks Harold, good idea.

Let's have a look at the attached document to see what Ruckstell themselves said in the operating instructions:
Ruckstel operating instructions.pdf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 101 times

As can be read - you are either in 'Ruckstell' (a lower ratio gear) or 'Ford' (normal Ford gearing).

What can confuse folk is that it is also referred to in the Operating Instructions as "Ruckstell Low" and "Ruckstell High" ???

Keep in mind that the Ruckstell is an UNDER DRIVE gear only - no overdrive to be seen here, fitted to the rear axle, and so it affects both 'low' and 'high' of the standard transmission. i.e. you get a low geared version (or "Ruckstell" ratio) for each of the standard 'low' and 'high'.

'Ford Low' and 'Ford High' means nothing but the standard gearing of the T.

Oh, I should point out that you get the 'Ruckstell with reverse as well ;-0

Did you see the early nod to drag racing in there? :-) "Used to .... get away quickly in traffic"

Petrah Phyre
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Pownall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 52944
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Petrah Phyre » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:59 pm

But what if I have a Starr Planator? I have not seen a manual to reference.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:42 pm

"No over drive" well a yes and no on that depending on the Ruckstell, although a direct drive and normal ratio for the USA, 3-1/13 to 1 by parts book. Canadian Ruckstell was and the only ring and pinion available by parts book and the few I've had apart, was a 3:1 ratio, so an over drive by standard Ford ratio specs.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:30 pm

I agree with Harold, however, it comes up often on posts by people who have not memorized the terminology. Technically the Ruckstell is an underdrive in the low position and standard T drive in the high position. Most people use the terminology, Low Low, High High, or Low High, or High Low. :lol: The first one means Ford Low Ruckstell The second means out of Ruckstell and Ford High. The third means Ruckstell Ford low. and Ford High Ruckstell. Anyway, when I read the posts I can understand what it says. Although there is not an overdrive, it can be used as though it had overdrive by installing a higher gear ratio in the Ford rear axle. This works very well in flatter areas, but not good on mountains. It usually means you need to use Ruckstell with Low just to start out on a slight grade in a place where it would start fine with standard Ford gearing.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:46 pm

Hobbyists were debating this issue and trying to get "everyone" to standardize their language surrounding the Ruckstell (and other things as well?) when I was a young fellow getting into this hobby over fifty years ago!
There are a dozen right ways to say these things, and maybe a hundred wrong ways! I don't think there will ever be a real consensus for THE "right way".

Topic author
2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:50 pm

Well,.....O.K.,....no matter who built it, and no matter what ring & pinion, it's a planetary gear set that will give you two things and two things only; planetary reduction or the whole assembly locked up which gives you direct as per Ford factory specified final drive ratio.

Sheesh!!! Starting to feel like I'm sorry I brought this up at all! I guess there will always be new fellows in the hobby (and a few ol' timers too) that by no fault of their own, will be somewhat "misguided" about a 2-speed rear end on an old Ford, and what it does, why it does, and whatit won't do, and whether it's a good thing or not, and why. :roll:

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:02 pm

Don't worry about it Harold S! Just enjoy the model T any time you can.

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by MichaelPawelek » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:22 pm

Harold, Don’t fret over the Ruckstell nomenclature. Over 100 years later we still cannot get two Model T owners to agree on what weight oil to use in the engine….😊
Last edited by MichaelPawelek on Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:55 pm

Ain't THAT the truth!

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:22 pm

Yes! it's amazing on how many people can be wrong. :o :D

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:42 pm

ALL of us?????

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:40 am

What irritates me is the people who spell Ruckstell with an X.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:05 am

I just wish I had a Ruxtell, then I would be willing to learn learn the spelling and the terminology.

Art Mirtes

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:36 pm

I shouldn't get into this, but really, who doesn't know what someone is trying to say when they state "hi" or "low" Ruckstell? "Hi" or "low" does not suggest "overdrive" to me. You know what does suggest it: "overdrive".

"To-may-to"... "To-mah-to"...

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:36 am

I own two T's. A 1915 touring and a 1926 roadster. Both have Ruckstells. The only thing I will add is that a Ruckstell is not a overdrive or a high speed option. It is an "intermediate" gearing option. It's great for cruising SLOW when in Ruckstell high. bobt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic