Where to set float level....

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bryce S.
First Name: Bryce
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 52112
Board Member Since: 2021

Where to set float level....

Post by Bryce S. » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:48 pm

All,

I am currently in the process of getting my carb fine tuned and am sealing my very old float but also want to be sure I am running it off of the right settings. I have a U&J carb and obviously information on these is fairly limited. Does anyone happen to know how high for me to set the float level and about how much my float should weight to perform properly? I have been fighting this thing for the last couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Bryce

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Re: Where to set float level....

Post by Philip » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:00 pm

i set mine as high as possible without leaking

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:33 pm

Hi Bryce,
The purpose of the float is to maintain a level of fuel to operate the systems in the carb. Idle, intermediate, main jet & accelerator pump
(when applicable ) the higher the float level the richer the none adjustable systems will be & the lower the leaner. As a rule of thumb the
float should be level with the top of the carb body when held upside down with the float resting on the needle & seat. You should be able to
suck on the fuel inlet and pull a vacuum in this position. If sealing the float has added weight to the float you may want to add a little bit to
that measurement.
Craig.

Topic author
Bryce S.
First Name: Bryce
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 52112
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Bryce S. » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm

Craig Leach wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:33 pm
Hi Bryce,
The purpose of the float is to maintain a level of fuel to operate the systems in the carb. Idle, intermediate, main jet & accelerator pump
(when applicable ) the higher the float level the richer the none adjustable systems will be & the lower the leaner. As a rule of thumb the
float should be level with the top of the carb body when held upside down with the float resting on the needle & seat. You should be able to
suck on the fuel inlet and pull a vacuum in this position. If sealing the float has added weight to the float you may want to add a little bit to
that measurement.
Craig.
Thank you! I'll be double checking it.

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:33 pm

Bryce; I've done maybe 7-8 of the U&Js and the first one had no float (just the hinge). I bought the black float material from Langs but without knowing the correct dimensions, made a float that was way too thick, like around 5/8-3/4" thick. I set it so the top was level with the body when inverted but had a too lean mixture as the size of the float actually displaced too much fuel and created the low fuel level. I luckily soon found an old original float that was closer to 3/8" thick and trimmed my home-made float to match and that solved the problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic