Calling All Ye Heinz Coil Box Afficionados

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Distagon2

Calling All Ye Heinz Coil Box Afficionados

Post by Distagon2 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:21 pm

I decided to fire up my 1912 Roadster engine. The previous owner had it rebuilt and it had not run since the rebuild. So I hooked up a 6V battery to the battery post on the firewall and after much exertion I got it fired up. I switched the coil box switch to magneto to see how it performs and it ran until I completely disconnected the battery. So it starts on battery and will run on magneto as long as the battery remains connected to the battery post. I concluded that the battery provides juice whether on BAT or MAG. Hmmm, that sure doesn't sound right. So, we all know that it is ALWAYS the ignition switch :D so I opened up the Heinz switch on the coil box in the car (which I am sure is a repro) and also opened up the switch on an older, crusty Heinz coil box to compare.

On the " new" switch it appears the brass contacts have been worn through. Not sure how that contact is made, whether it is an overlay over steel or was brass plated. Is this wear normal or does it need fixin'? I am going to experiment with retensioning the internal switch contact spring and see if it makes a difference.

Just for fun, I have included a picture of the internals of an original switch I have. Looks a little rough to me......
Attachments
DSC_4033.jpg
DSC_4032.jpg

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Re: Calling All Ye Heinz Coil Box Afficionados

Post by Russ T Fender » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:21 pm

Sure not the way my Heinz coil box works. Sounds to me like you were never running on mag at all but were on battery even when you had the coil box switched over to mag.

Topic author
Distagon2

Post by Distagon2 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:16 pm

I agree, so this tells me there is something wrong with the way the switch is set up. I'm going to carefully examine/adjust the internal tension on the switch contacts. Seems like if I have the switch on BAT (without the engine running), I can buzz a coil. But if I switch to MAG (without the engine running) the coil should stop buzzing since the MAG is not moving or putting out anything. Experimentation tomorrow.....

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:50 am

Just to add a small bit of worry. If your switch actually is connecting the battery and the magneto at the same time, (a short across the contacts), you may be feeding DC current into the mag, which can demagnetise the magnets. If that happens it will be necessary to go back to earlier posts that describe how to re-charge the magnets with the engine in place.

Topic author
Distagon2

Post by Distagon2 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 am

Yes, that thought had crossed my mind....not a good thought.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:30 am

Sounds like maybe a wiring issue?

Topic author
Distagon2

Post by Distagon2 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:31 pm

Yeah it makes me wonder if the switch is wired correctly. Checking it out today. The wiring in a 1912 is pretty darn simple, but who knows.

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:54 pm

From the photos, it looks like the switch is "toast". Top photo looks like a JB Weld (or something similar) repair ?? The bottom photo looks like contacts completely eroded from electric arc, and marginally repaired with solder ?

Regardless other issues, you should have a solid, functional switch for best results.
Get a horse !

KimDobbins
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Dobbins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring, 1910 touring, 1913 touring, 1916 couplet, 1924 truck.
MTFCA Number: 8243

Post by KimDobbins » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:03 pm

Greg, the previous owner probably wired it wrong, I can send you a wire diagram on wed if you haven't fixed it by then. Kim

Topic author
Distagon2

Post by Distagon2 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:20 pm

Kim, that would be appreciated, thanks. I am now thinking that switch is not wired correctly. That's about all it could be.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic