Horn Question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Horn Question

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:59 pm

Ok, why is the speed of the engine affecting the pitch of my motor type horn? I assumed that it was getting power from the battery which would be constant. Would it have to do with me changing my generator cutout to a diode?

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Horn Question

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:11 pm

If you have a motor-type battery horn, the horn's motor speed will respond to an increase in the system voltage resulting from the generator charge rate increasing with engine speed. It's probably normal, assuming your battery is in good condition and your generator's charging rate is adjusted properly. With the engine off, or running at idle, the system voltage will be very close to 6 volts. As engine speed increases, the generator output will increase and the system voltage will climb above 7 volts and may reach 8 or 9 volts. A weak battery or horn motor that needs service will cause the system voltage to drop more than normal when the horn is operating and the engine is idling or stopped. Using a diode should have no significant effect. It's common for the heater blower motor in many vehicles to speed up when the engine speed is increased.

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:50 pm

Hmm .. interesting. Yes, as I mentioned it’s a motor type horn. The battery is new and the generator is adjusted to out put no more than 3-4 amps. Just never had a fluctuation when I had the Fun Projects VR installed.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:03 am

An actual Voltage Regulator will limit voltage fluctuations resulting from the normal variations in generator output caused by changes in engine speed.

A simple diode or a stock cutout relay will not regulate voltage or current.

A voltage regulator will function like a governor for the generator's output.

A diode or cutout behaves like an automatic on/off switch.

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:08 am

Ok … that’s what I was thinking. I had only had the VR in the car since I first got it on the road. Mystery solved. My previous T was a non starter type and had a magneto horn that was all over the place in sound! Thanks.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:31 am

Mark Osterman wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:08 am
Ok … that’s what I was thinking. I had only had the VR in the car since I first got it on the road. Mystery solved. My previous T was a non starter type and had a magneto horn that was all over the place in sound! Thanks.
And what did you do with the Fun Projects VR? Like to see it
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:48 am

I'd like to hold the fun projects regulator in my hot little hand, if you have no further use for it!

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic