handbrake quadrant toothless on 1927 touring

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Victor Borg
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Borg
MTFCA Number: 35213

handbrake quadrant toothless on 1927 touring

Post by Victor Borg » Mon May 06, 2019 9:47 pm

the quadrant on my wife's 27 touring has gotten pretty toothless and i need to replace it. i guess it was originally bolted or pinned in somehow but somebody welded the riviets (how the hell is rivit spelled???( with copious blobs of weld stuff on the quadrant side.i've tried a bit of hack sawing on the blobs because i can't fit any kind of cutter in there.my questions are:if i cut or grind the blobs of stuff off the quadrant side will the pins or whatever they are come out? next can the new quadrant just be bolted to the frame,or am i looking for trouble down the road ? additionally,i see in the catalogs 2 different quadrants priced quite differently..i guess the high priced one must be lots better,or i hope so.any advice for this newby???( (v ic borg

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: handbrake quadrant toothless on 1927 touring

Post by jiminbartow » Mon May 06, 2019 10:07 pm

You might be able to fit a 4”angle grinder grinding disc in there to grind off the heads of whatever fastener was welded. Be sure to use eye protection. The difficulty of removing the fastener depends on the depth of the weld. Once you have gone deep enough to remove all of the weld, you should be able to drive out the remaining shank of the fastener. Rivet shanks are usually very tight and may have to be drilled out. While the quadrant was originally riveted, bolts with locknuts will work just as good. I forgot if A high profile fastener, such as hex head bolts could create a space factor, preventing the pawl from working properly so, I would try using a low profile fastener such as carriage head bolts with the square shoulder below the head, tapped into and wedged in the round hole. Jim Patrick

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon May 06, 2019 11:05 pm

I just did this job for the umteenth time. I used a cut-off blade in my grinder and gently and carefully eroded the head off INSIDE the frame. You can then punch the rivets from the inside as well as use a straight crow-bar to lever on the quadrant. It will come off.

The first time I ever did this job, I took the rivet head off from outside the frame...that allowed me to lever the quadrant off but left the rivets firmly (and seemingly impossibly) stuck in the frame. At that point I could not drive the rivets out due to the dust apron keeping me from a staight shot, and so had to resort to grinding from the inside (like mentioned abover) but without the benefit of having the quadrant to pry on.

Live and learn.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon May 06, 2019 11:15 pm

Can I add two points. Some reproduction quadrants appear to be stamped out. This makes the 'teeth' on the quadrant rather rounded off on one side, making the 'teeth' somewhat narrower. The laser cut ones are much better, though more expensive.
Secondly, 26-7 quadrants have just two fasteners. If you use a button head bolt and nut to fix the quadrant in place, the socket hole in the bolt head is easily filled, and when painted over, looks just like a proper rivet job.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Allan

that is good advice and exactly what I do on mine. It is the only place I use modern fasteners, using a Nyloc nut on the inside of the frame, mated to an alloy button head screw. I'm an originality type guy but in this case, originality goes out the window. It's expedient, safe, and nearly invisible.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Victor Borg
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Borg
MTFCA Number: 35213

Post by Victor Borg » Tue May 07, 2019 9:36 pm

thank you all very much for your advice and experience...thanks to this forum i will not do something stupid to my wife's precious DAISY,at least not this time...

hah
First Name: john
Last Name: hardiman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe

Post by hah » Mon May 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Thread hit bottom....
Roto-burr....attached to die grinder.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon May 13, 2019 7:19 pm

When I replaced the quadrant on my former '12 Touring, I found that by loosening the brake cross-arm on the passenger side, and completely unbolting it from the driver side I was able to lower it enough on the driver side to be able to get my dremel in there and grind off the heads, then punch the rivets-- btw..that's how they're spelled Victor...LOL....and it worked wonderfully. All this took less time than it took previously fighting with the lack of space! I was initially going to do that, but too stubborn, but I finally gave in and wished I had sooner!! And yes, I BOLTED the damn thing on rather than use rivets! Also, don't buy the cheap quadrant...bite the bullet and get the better expensive one. You'll be glad you did.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Tue May 14, 2019 11:06 am

I see no reason to ever re rivet the quadrant on. Im sure that bolting it on would have been an excepted repair. I did use period correct bolts, castle nuts and cotter pins.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm

That is not an easy job! I would only recommend doing it if you do it correctly. Any kind of bolt would not look good. Should you decide to consider rivets, take measurements of the originals before replacing them. Don't assume the replacement rivets are correct. Doing that job is a two man operation.

tdumas
First Name: Ted
Last Name: Dumas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe, 1924 Touring
MTFCI Number: 20999

Post by tdumas » Wed May 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Use a good 3 corner file and recut the teeth.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic