Magneto cuts out and in

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dbuelke
First Name: Don
Last Name: Buelke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Coupe

Magneto cuts out and in

Post by dbuelke » Mon May 06, 2019 11:00 pm

I took a 35-mile drive today and the last half a mile was up a steep, rutted and rocky road when my 26 Coupe quit. Flipping the key over to the battery it started immediately, but when switched back to mag it quit again. I managed to get to our destination on battery and when starting for home after lunch it was the same scenario. However, down the road a mile or so I flipped back to the mag and it ran good, but in another mile, it cut out again. I tried switching back-and-forth a few times on the return trip without success, but when I parked in my garage I tried the mag once more and it worked. Then, after simply gunning the engine several times (just to hear how good it sounded!) it cut out again.

The magneto wire is solid at the plug and there are no loose wires behind the switch or poor wires along the way that I can see. There is no unusual noise suggesting a loose object in the transmission. When the magneto works it runs smoothly, as it does on battery, too.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed with a diagnostic protocol and hopefully find the problem before having to tear into the magneto itself.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Magneto cuts out and in

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon May 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Often when this happens, your muffler will be left on the road somewhere. If you still have a quiet car, you are ahead of the game!

take a look at this: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1480292299
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 pm

I think Scott gave you the best advice about repairing your ignition switch and it would not hurt to check your magneto contact as well.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue May 07, 2019 8:48 am

Like David said above, start with the easy stuff first, i.e. the mag post. Remove it and I'd be willing to bet you have all sorts
of lint on it. That'll stop you dead when it gets heavy enough on it. Also, any "foreign metal" from within the trans. that decides
to "float around" may find itself up there and short it out. I've had that happen.

RustyFords
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue May 07, 2019 9:41 am

Could be something simple like a corroded switch, or might be something not so simple like a worn rear main bearing allowing fore-aft play in the crankshaft which would allow the magneto gap to change.

Like the others have stated, I'd start by taking the switch out and inspecting the contacts and connections.
1924 Touring

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 07, 2019 9:48 am

Round up the usual suspects. Individual One on my list would be the switch. Scott's link will tell you all about it. Last week I fixed the intermittent switch on my 1923 touring. The price was perfect. All it took was slightly deepening the dimples and pulling up the contacts a little. My second suspect would be mag post lint, but I think that's less likely to be intermittent than the switch.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 07, 2019 9:49 am

The problem may be in the switch. Take the switch apart and check all the contact points. In my expierence the tabs can be loosening the tension against the contacts. Use some fine sandpaper and lightly sand all of the contact areas and carefully bend out the spring tabs for better contact. That usually will take care of the problem.
I would also remove the mag post and clean out any lint or debris if there is any there.
Hope this helps.

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Tue May 07, 2019 10:50 am

I would say he most probable is excessive end play in the crankshaft. In the day there was an accessory sleeve that fit behind the front pully (it was like a brass washer) that took up the end play slack.
DSC01544.JPG
Attachments
DSC01543.JPG

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 am

I agree with the above. Another thing to question is the output of the magneto. To test you need a 12 volt light bulb to be connected from the magneto plug on the hogshead to ground. Then take an analog AC voltmeter across the light bulb. With the engine running on battery, the light should light up and at slow idle produce at least 6 volts AC. At high speed up to 30 volts AC. If it is less than 6 volts at idle, you have a weak magneto and it won't run very well when the engine is running at slow speed, such as starting out, or after you shift to high, or going uphill. To compound the problem, your flywheel will move as far as possible to the rear of the engine when going uphill. Worn thrust on rear main will increase the gap between the magnets and the coils causing a weak magneto.

My first suspicion would be the switch. Mine did the same thing until I rebuilt the ignition switch and since then have had no magneto problems.
Norm

Topic author
dbuelke
Last Name: Buelke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Coupe

Post by dbuelke » Wed May 08, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks, everyone. When I get at it I will start w/ testing the magneto output under various inclinations. That, unfortunately, makes sense as the first incident occurred when climbing up that rocky, rutted >5% road that was bad enough that my door kept unlatching--something that never happened before or since. I have areas on my property I should be able to duplicate those conditions with slopes as steep as 20% under pasture conditions. If that doesn't pan out I'll go to the switch next, although that was recently rebuilt.

I'll post the findings, but we are getting ready to leave on vacation so it may be awhile.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic