Warford Alum & Cast Iron

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JH1427
First Name: Jerome
Last Name: Hoffman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring, 1924 Roadster, 1923 Speedster, 1923 Racer, 1921 TT Wood Cab
MTFCA Number: 215
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Warford Alum & Cast Iron

Post by JH1427 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Ok I finished the clean up on my aluminum case Warford this week and today I found a used CI case on eBay thanks to a fellow forum member. Same seller had an aluminum case. My brain went to an Oh, and Will it mode, and came up with a couple of questions: so If anyone here has the answer I'd be grateful as I do not have one of each side by side to compare. The disassembly went smoothly and as far as I can remember the Aluminum one came apart the same way, so I got to thinking are all of the internals the same? Will my guts from my aluminum case fit in the CI case? Has any one done this or the other way around? just brain storming some ideas. I will first try to fix the case but as a back up plan thought i'd check out other possibilities. Jerry
model_t@swbell.net
Projects: 1916 Speedster - Dec 15', 1921 TT Wood Cab and Bed, 1923 Racer ( My dad's), 1923 Speedster (started in HS)
1924 Roadster - Dec 23' (eBay) and 1924 Touring - June 24' ( Dad's Car been in the family since 1948)

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Warford Alum & Cast Iron

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Jerry,

Some parts interchange but the majority do not, shaft size, gear count, bearing size, etc. I sent you another PM Jerry and I am extended to a person in need, If your case is complete, send it to me and I can TIG weld it for the shipping and a very minimal fee.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Re: Warford Alum & Cast Iron

Post by Sarikatime » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 am

The cast iron gears and shafts are completely different from the aluminum casing. My friend with the aluminum casing needed the small tapered bearing that is no longer made so I tried to give him an extra that I had, looked the same but the aluminum case bearings and most other parts were smaller and did not fit. If your gears are good, have the casing repaired and use it. I have a cast iron that had broken in half and repaired a long time ago and it works just fine. Just make sure you have some sort of brace in the back of the case to keep from exerting pressure on the fourth main.frank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic