Stable diffusion

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Stable diffusion

Post by John E. Guitar » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:02 am

These are images generated by Artificial Intelligence on the Stable Diffusion website.

https://stablediffusionweb.com/

You type in a description (eg Model T Snowmobile) and hit Generate Image.

I wonder if anyone recognises the photos they are based on?

Stable Diffusion 7.jpg
Stable Diffusion 7.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Stable Diffusion 6.jpg
Stable Diffusion 6.jpg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Stable Diffusion 5.jpg
Stable Diffusion 5.jpg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Stable Diffusion 4.jpg
Stable Diffusion 4.jpg (93.62 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Stable Diffusion 3.jpg
Stable Diffusion 3.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Stable diffusion

Post by TWrenn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:43 am

Guess I'm showing my age, but I'm not so sure about this A.I. crap and neither are a lot of other people from what I've seen on the news. It has great capabilities and uses, for sure, however it can also be MISUSED just as bad if not worse. And that's what is worrying some "experts" as well as government people. It's already been found to be used to cheat at university tests. Do I hear Stepford Wives anyone? :lol:

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:50 am

Cheating and mishandling of information, changing standard outcomes to suit a purpose for personal gain will only get worse than it already is! No conspiracy theory here. It will happen and will only get worse until people will think it’s normal. We haven’t seen anything yet. There is too much personal information out there to be hijacked, faked, and put on the slick apps for the wrong reason.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:51 am

It's now possible to produce a plausible video that portrays a politician saying something he would never really say. But it's not necessary. A propagandist can use a legitimate video or photo and simply lie about what it says or shows, and people who are eager to believe the lie will swallow it whole.

In the case at hand, these bizarre quasi-T concoctions, my question is — why?
:)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:08 am

When I was in college, I had a professor,Moe Raissi? "spelling", He was born in Iran and raised in Pakistan.He was very difficult to understand as he had a heavy accent so you had to listen carefully,and if you did,you could learn alot, and he was Smart.He had designed the control systems in alot of the nuclear plants. Anyway, he taught me 1 thing if he didn't teach me anything else . He told us this technology we were learning about could and WOULD take over our lives if we let it. And this was in 1990. He told us DO NOT design things that can control away from you. Sad so many people didn't hear it or would not have listened if they had.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:52 pm

What will they think of next? I can put away my brushes now. :lol:
Rich
When did I do that?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:49 pm

Looks like "photoshop on LSD!"

I (like many here?) grew up in the 1960s. I "knew" a lot of people that took "recreational" drugs, and didn't like what I saw. I never drink alcohol (never did!), and never smoked or used tobacco in any form. I have NEVER taken a "recreational" drug myself. I have NO desire to surrender my mind, my intellect, or my personal awareness or control to anyone!

As for AI ? If I cannot trust the companies I have to deal with, or the government? How can I possibly trust the AI they create?

Actually of course, the term "AI" is a misnomer. It might be possible some day to create an artificial actual "intelligence"? However, what we are foolishly tampering with today is anything but intelligent. It is "robot" intelligent pure and simple.

Kind of like what the people creating it want all of US to be?

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:56 pm

tdump wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:08 am
When I was in college, I had a professor,Moe Raissi? "spelling", He was born in Iran and raised in Pakistan.He was very difficult to understand as he had a heavy accent so you had to listen carefully,and if you did,you could learn alot, and he was Smart.He had designed the control systems in alot of the nuclear plants. Anyway, he taught me 1 thing if he didn't teach me anything else . He told us this technology we were learning about could and WOULD take over our lives if we let it. And this was in 1990. He told us DO NOT design things that can control away from you. Sad so many people didn't hear it or would not have listened if they had.
Mack...yep, this is exactly what's happening with this AI, and it's happening at lightning speed, cause well, AI IS lightning speed! Say what you want, but this does NOT bode well for society as a whole.

Probly should apologize for hijacking the authors thread here turning it into an "off topic" event. :cry:

Distagon2
First Name: Gregory
Last Name: Jones
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1912 Commercial Roadster
MTFCA Number: 10114

Post by Distagon2 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:14 pm

Remember the days of calling a company and actually being able to talk to a human being? That is already a rare thing, but AI will make that nonexistent. It's all about reducing labor costs. Notice how stores want you to check out your own groceries, ATMs for banking, Alexa to respond to our every whim, cable TV charges you to watch commercials, etc. Crazy world-won't be long until we will be doing what the "machine" tells us to do; not good. BTW, the images are going to give me nightmares especially the zombie driving the Model T.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm

What’s sad is this is getting more popular with the younger crowd who think it’s neat. Things are happening under our noses and hardly get talked about before it’s everywhere. Talk about Pandora’s box? This is what it is. But our younger crowd would say who’s Pandora.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:01 pm

I'm not concerned about a computer going off its program all by itself and murdering its user. However, "AI" could be used to create "autonomous" killer drones, super clever booby traps, robot police, robot telemarketers, robot schoolteachers, bill collectors, and bounty hunters, and assorted other automated weaponry, and the likelihood of irresponsible or downright evil people getting hold of such stuff is very high.

In nmy opinion, we've already gone way too far in automated control of power grids, water systems, trains, planes, banking, food production, and a lot of other stuff. ALL critical systems ought to have manual over-ride and ALL critical systems need to have live, human, on-site personel who know how, if, and when to use manual over-ride.

If those personel need armed guards 24-7 to keep the screwheads at bay, so be it.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:47 pm

Sooner and not later.
Attachments
25DB89DF-F2C6-49FD-BC9A-BA582BAA5470.jpeg
25DB89DF-F2C6-49FD-BC9A-BA582BAA5470.jpeg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 1479 times

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:35 pm

Rich Eagle wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:52 pm
What will they think of next? I can put away my brushes now. :lol:
Rich
Very likely. 30 years ago the computer inserted itself into the sign trade. Almost immediately impossibly ugly and tortured letter distortions and bad layout became "acceptable". Now they are the norm.

It won't be long before these very ugly, distorted images also become the norm. It's in the name of cost efficiencies. Any of these zombie images can be produced almost instantaneously, vs. how long does it take Rich Eagle to produce one of his very fine paintings ??
Get a horse !

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:19 pm

The electronically-generated cacaphony that substitutes for Music revolts me.

I find most computer-generated paper billing to be poorly thought out and difficult to read, besides being ugly... and don't you love those odd-sized, poorly-printed computer generated "receipts" on wispy paper that are about as durable as a lit paper match, besides being cluttered with ads and survey come-ons and bizaare layout.

Than thrz txtspeek & txtspl & thxtthnk. cn U thnk n txtspeek???????????

Have you ever had a JOB? YOUR'E A VICTIM! Here's how to sue everyone to get the compensation you deserve! Huge payouts!* No cost to you!!! ** Time is limited SO ACT NOW!***

Nathan Pederson
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Pederson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Touring, Coupe, Roadster, Ton Truck, Chariot
MTFCA Number: 51087

Post by Nathan Pederson » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:24 pm

Diffusion.jpg

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:28 pm

I worked on AI in the late 80's and into the mid 90's. The only real AI application I see Today is one for parking vehicle with/without a trailer. My first encounter with it was a demo in the mid 1990's. Here's why. The entire application has no stored data, it is goal seeking, but relies on some algorithms, fuzzy logic, and sensors. Every vehicle & parking space is different. So 25-30 years later its in use.

My AI work started with a simple program that responded to text based questions. Basically it was just a simple app creating a database query based of adjectives, verbs & nouns (object) that were defined to database terms. Voice recognition was rather crude at the time but basically its the same thing, associating a recorded word to an adjective, verb or noun. A google search uses the a similar simple program but has a vast database of associated terms and provides everything that matches. Alexa is just vice recognition of a Google search. So whats stable diffusion -similar application but associating text/words to stored images and some algorithm to cut n'paste them together. So without the data associations their "intelligence" is limited.

So just about everything is like CAD design or 3D printing a computer program design to provide a specific outcome - can't make anything unless some one provides the input.
--
The media is also confusing AI with augmented and virtual reality. They show a person with hooded goggles and call it learning with AI. Again its just a interactive game or like google maps being able to place yourself on a street and look and move around.
--
--
Self driving cars are not exactly self driving. They can't go where the is no map or GPS signal. Logic to read signs etc isn't anything new. But to respond to a speed limit sign that says " 25mph on school days when children are present" is another thing into itself. ;)
--
When someone claims their AI app can tell right from wrong, then I'm worried. :roll:
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:53 pm

So true Nathan. Also that is 1 piece of equipment the manufacture will NOT stand behind! :lol:
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:52 am

I remember well when computers were introduced in the workplace, they would make our work easier, give us more free time and reduce paperwork.
Nowadays we can see what came of these great promises for our future, we got more complicated work, more administrative duties, heaps of paperwork to wade through and the only thing that came true is that lots of people got laid off because computers and robots do the work, I presume that that is the extra free time the experts promised then...
:lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:33 am

It seems to me that "AI" is comparable to a tape recorder with a really huge reel of tape loaded with all sorts of content and equipped with a very fast search, select, and present mechanism, sort of like a 1955 juke box with one hundred million selections.
It can play A-11 on command, or any other selection, and it can respond to commands from a remote station, but it can't generate criticism of your choice, or offer an alternative selection, or tell you your left shoe is untied. Computers can interact with a lot more inputs and outputs and store a lot more program material than any electromechanical device ever could, but they cannot think. I doubt if they ever will.

Dave, I'm getting tired of your nagging, Dave.

Shut up, HAL.

Dave, CO2 levels are rising, Dave....

OK, run some checks and correct the problem, HAL.

Dave, there is no problem, Dave...

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:48 am

Do we really need or want ChattyCathy from Hell?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:14 pm

Is CO2 rising because of greenery giving way to roads, suburbia, forest fires, etc. The only Forestry management programs are in the lumber industry harvesting trees they planted & replanting new growth.

photosynthesis
The process by which green plants and some other organisms use sunlight to synthesize foods from carbon dioxide and water. Photosynthesis in plants generally involves the green pigment chlorophyll and generates oxygen as a byproduct. During photosynthesis plants absorb CO₂"
--
https://www.science20.com/news_articles ... cars-78149
Ozone is a known pollutant at low levels in the earth’s atmosphere, which causes harmful effects on the respiratory system and sensitive plants. Ozone forms as hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides emitted into the air react with sunlight. Two of the largest emitters of these pollutants are vehicles and electricity generating units (EGUs) but as Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) have risen in popularity over the past decade the positive impact on the environment due to lack of fossil fuel exhaust fumes is offset by increased ozone.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:06 pm

I believe that urbanization contributes a little to C02 by mostly eliminating greenery over large areas.

I doubt if it is significant, and I doubt that overall measured increases in Co2 are significant or permanent.

The "Urban Heat Island Effect" is very real, and probably contributes to rising "Official Temperatures" since many offiical temperatures are, and long have been, taken in and around major airports and urban centers.

The urban heat island effect is not directly related to Co2 emissions or levels, but is a result of city roadways, parking lots, and rooftops acting as more effective solar collectors than typical rural land.

Dire predictions to the contrary, we're still setting new record cold temperatures in 2023 and the Polar Bears still flourish, eating red meat and spewing Co2 and methane. Venice is still standing, and so is Corpus Christi, and the subways of New York City and London are still operating. Even Bangladesh is still above the waters, and still teeming with people.

A typical commercial jet consumes about 6 tons of Jet A per hour when in flight. Actual total consumption is higher.

Of course, the Ruling Class loves to fly, so don't look for any outcry against 800,000 pound fossil-fueled airplanes filling the skies 24/7/365.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:33 pm

"Artificial" Intelligence? I am still hoping for more than about five percent of humanity to achieve real natural intelligence!

And Frank B, Thank you for the "2001" references!
So hard to believe that what we thought was so very far into our future has become two decades in our past?

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:12 pm

This is the 2001 SCI-FI movie that turned to be was a predictor in the direction we’re going.
It’s closer than you think.
Attachments
7DDAA6B0-E51E-4274-B807-D9054B44CDFB.jpeg
7DDAA6B0-E51E-4274-B807-D9054B44CDFB.jpeg (23.89 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic