Gilmore Museum "Celebration of brass" worth attending?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Gilmore Museum "Celebration of brass" worth attending?

Post by NealW » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:37 pm

My wife and I are planning a trip back to NW Ohio to visit my brother and family this summer. I plan on heading to the HF, Piquette museum and a Highland Park drive by with my brother while there. We will be heading up to Mackinac for a couple of days before heading back to Kansas by way of Chicago, and that conveniently takes us past the Gilmore museum.

At the moment we can be flexible on the dates, and I saw that the Gilmore has its third "Celebration of Brass" going on July 13-15. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has been to either of the first brass events that they've held in the last two years and if so, if it's worth going to or not. I'd like to go to the OCF, but my wife still works in school system and we can't push our vacation into September.

Thanks,

Neal

1923Touring
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Hawkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCI Number: 24919
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Gilmore Museum "Celebration of brass" worth attending?

Post by 1923Touring » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:44 pm

Neal, I attended the Celebration of Brass last summer, and I think the year before? It was very much worth the time to see some amazing automobiles. I have only been to OCF once, but in my opinion I saw more "amazing" brass cars at last years Gilmore event.

-Joshua

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:03 pm

I had a car at the first Celebration. We'll worth going to. You will see cars rarely seen. If you've never been to the Gilmore, it's a full day without your wife. Have fun, Steve

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:36 pm

The Gilmore is a must-see, with or without the special weekend. If you can fit those dates into your schedule, yes, go.

IMG_1781 copy.JPG
Stopping at the Gilmore, 2018.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:38 am

Last March I asked if people thought it was worth attending the "Celebration of Brass" at the Gilmore museum. Last Friday my wife and I went to it on our way driving back from Mackinac Island to Kansas. I would definitely agree that it is worth attending, even if no special event is going on. It was probably the best car museum that I've ever been to, and is actually a series of small museums. The grounds are amazing too.

The brass event had about 90 brass era cars, most of which were not Model T's. I enjoyed watching a guy getting his Stanley Steamer ready to run for the day; he was following a two page, 47 step process to get it running...
Attachments
Gilmore brass 2023.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic