A real oddball Ford Script ignition key

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
FATMAN
First Name: ROBERT
Last Name: BERGSTADT
MTFCA Number: 1575

A real oddball Ford Script ignition key

Post by FATMAN » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:58 pm

I am going through a lot of original keys and ran across this one
Ford Script but on the other side where number should be has TOEPFER or TOEPPER HARD TO SEE, ANYONE EVER SEEN ONE LIKE THIS? Bob
sorry photos are not clearer
Attachments
DSCN5550.JPG
DSCN5549.JPG
DSCN5548.JPG
DSCN5547.JPG
DSCN5550.JPG

23ford
First Name: Warren
Last Name: Webb

Re: A real oddball Ford Script ignition key

Post by 23ford » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:24 pm

Bob.......Got some keys marked this way also..............

Don Demio
First Name: Don
Last Name: Demio
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Post by Don Demio » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:27 pm

Robert,

The second photo shows a very unusual keyway slot that is wide at the tip and narrows toward the top. The key bittings (notches) in the shaft appear to be similar to a #58 key. On each side of the top of the keyway slot there appears to be the remains of the ends of the diamond symbol which would indicate it is a Clum Manufacturing Company Key. Clum was one of the authorized companies to produce keys for Ford. Clum keys nornally have the keyway slot on the reverse side, not the obverse/front side as seen on this key. The rectangular number boss that contains the letter stamps is correct for Clum keys. Other Model T key manufacturers used round, oval and rectangular with rounded corners key bosses. Very interesting key to say the least.

Don

Stu Tomlinson
First Name: Stuart
Last Name: Tomlinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1913 Huckster, 1924 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 27355

Post by Stu Tomlinson » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:49 pm

Robert,

I am going to add something along with my good friend Don's response.

As Don states, Clum never had a key with the slot cut on the obverse of the front of the key. This slot does not look like something the manufacturer would have made do to the taper and the length - and appears rather home made on a stamped key that had not had the groove cut yet. It is also cut far up into the Ford insignia which I have not seen before. This would allow a blank for key number 62 to have the groove cut on front in order to fit a number 58 switch. Other manufacturers cut the slots on the front or back to make blank keys work for a specific key number when they did not have a full set of blanks. The key does however look period correct and not a late new source reproduction. A Clum key from the manufacturer with the slot on front would be collectible. Although the key seems altered it is still unusual for find the letters (which did exist instead of the number).

I have seen in references of the major key manufacturers those letters that you have described - I just don't recall the specifics without referencing my information. I will need to look through my references when I get back home late this week to provide you more information on this.

Kindest Regards,

Stu

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:29 am

May solve the letters and could be a special key they made https://toepfersecurity.com/our-history/
Perhaps a key blank was modified for a special lock, not for a car
TOEPFER.png
--
--
https://toepfersecurity.com/
Attachments
toepfernnn.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic