Camshaft recommendation for Fronty

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
35mike
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Russell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Pickup Express Wood Body, 1926 Runabout

Camshaft recommendation for Fronty

Post by 35mike » Wed May 08, 2019 9:16 am

I have a Frontenac head I will be using on an engine that has a Model 'A' crankshaft. I don't recall the model of the Fronty but it is the one that came in Truck, Touring, and Speedster versions. It has been a long time since I looked it up but SR comes to mind.
I will be using a Winfield carb and the engine is fitted with the high compression pistons. The dome is 1" above the deck at tdc. The rocker arm ratio is 1-1/2 to 1 and the valves are much bigger than stock T. Do I need anything special for a camshaft or will the Stipe basic model be suitable?

Mike

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Re: Camshaft recommendation for Fronty

Post by walber » Wed May 08, 2019 12:50 pm

Mike,

The serial number on the head will tell you the version number like T1234T. Replace the T with S or R for the higher compression. These all have a single intake port. The SR has 2 intake ports and a variety of other differences.

My desire was to have a strong touring speedster, not necessarily the fastest but with enough power to do pretty much whatever I want.
I have a T head, A crank, domed pistons, Zenith HP5A carb, normal rockers like yours and a Stipe 280 cam. I've been real happy with it. If I were to make any changes on mine it would be to remove the stock exhaust manifold and go with a header setup but it runs nicely enough that I haven't bothered.

Walt

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Wed May 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Overheads with high ratio rocker arms don’t need a high lift cam. In fact it’s very hard on the cam and its bearings. The Stipe you mentioned is a good choice. I like using a model A cam with overheads.

Topic author
35mike
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Russell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Pickup Express Wood Body, 1926 Runabout

Post by 35mike » Wed May 08, 2019 10:18 pm

My goal is a reliable engine with a little extra zip. I agree with you guys that with the bigger valves and rocker arm ratio I shouldn't need any massive lift at the camshaft. I talked to the folks at Stipe a while back but I thought I would run it past you guys before making a decision.
What is required to use the 'A' camshaft?

Mike

Robin
First Name: Robin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Robin » Wed May 08, 2019 11:01 pm

I have a re grind from a Clem Sala engine I run it's not hi lift.
It's a A crank , low compression Frontac hi compression piston with a B Winfield.
It drives a lot like t slow idle smooth running fantastic powerful very driveable. Ask Bobby Weitze
I have a copy available . Send message if interested.

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Sat May 11, 2019 12:08 am

I drove Robin's touring car last week. It idles well and pulls hard. Other than an unannounced HALO jump by his dog from the back seat it was a very good runner. I am putting this cam in my RAJO equipped Mercury Speedster.

Andy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic