Upcoming movie set in T era

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Upcoming movie set in T era

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sat May 20, 2023 6:49 pm

Looks like the upcoming release of Martin Scorsese’s epic “Killers of the Flower Moon” with Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert DiNero is chock full of Ts taking place in Oklahoma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0si5bSd6I

IMG_0741.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_0740.jpeg

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Upcoming movie set in T era

Post by George House » Sat May 20, 2023 7:16 pm

That’s Good News !!
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun May 21, 2023 1:56 am

The picture was very well received at Cannes. From the trailer it looks great.

When white folks, including my great grandfather, started moving here in 1869 they couldn't file a legal claim because this was Osage land. Of course the federal government persuaded the Osages in 1870 they should get out of the way and move to Indian Territory, which in 1907 became Oklahoma. Pawhuska, where the Scorcese picture was shot, is the seat of Osage County, which is also the Osage reservation. Oil brought big money to the Osages, and murder for some of that money is the subject of the movie. When a fancy big five story hotel was built in Arkansas City in 1920, in a PR move it was named the Osage, and wealthy members of the tribe often stayed there when they came to town.

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 12.38.46 AM.png
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sun May 21, 2023 8:53 am

There’s no railroad anymore in the town where they filmed it, so a train was trucked in and new railroad laid just for the train scenes
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Topic author
ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sun May 21, 2023 9:01 am

Interesting background on filming with cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uWR9ihiheI

George House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster

Post by George House » Sun May 21, 2023 4:06 pm

Interesting behind-the-scenes info. I wonder what % of those old cars are furnished by a specialty movie rental company and the % of club hobbiest owned vehicles. Also curious as to the daily contracted amount $$ per car when on film. Anyone know ?

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Sun May 21, 2023 7:38 pm

Some 20 plus years ago, my 1927 was used in (I'm sorry I can't recall the name) movie that was filmed in St Louis and I was paid as a driver. I don't recall the dollar amount, but I do remember the car made more money than I did. :D

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sun May 21, 2023 8:57 pm

George House wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:06 pm
Interesting behind-the-scenes info. I wonder what % of those old cars are furnished by a specialty movie rental company and the % of club hobbiest owned vehicles. Also curious as to the daily contracted amount $$ per car when on film. Anyone know ?

I think Lone Star Ts provided some.

Every rental agreement is different. Some get 250 per day for a car, whether used or not, additional money for you the driver. Some specialty cars can get 1,000 a day. Some get more, depending on its use, if damage is to be incurred (getting shot, etc). Insurance is probably a good idea with a minimum coverage (1 mill) and full replacement value.

If an actor is to drive it, they must be taught how and you should be in the car somewhere.

My car is listed with a picture car company. I’ve had one request for it which I turned down because the company wanted to open flatbed transport it to NYC overnight and didn’t want to pay for my hotel.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

George House

Post by George House » Mon May 22, 2023 9:15 am

Thanks for the reply William. About 5 years ago I received $400 a day when the centerdoor was on camera. When it wasn’t, they kept it in covered storage. Thought I wanted to be a movie extra so was told to go to Wardrobe. Then quit after my first day when it lasted 16 hours and I made $75. 😞
Attachments
IMG_1005.jpeg

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Mon May 22, 2023 1:06 pm

George House wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:15 am
Thanks for the reply William. About 5 years ago I received $400 a day when the centerdoor was on camera. When it wasn’t, they kept it in covered storage. Thought I wanted to be a movie extra so was told to go to Wardrobe. Then quit after my first day when it lasted 16 hours and I made $75. 😞
I’ve been in several movies. Even had a Screen Extras Guild card (when it used to be called that). Even got a callback for a second movie from the company that did the first one I was in

It’s not fun being on set 16 hrs but to see how it’s all done, and most of the time not in chronological order, is fascinating
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

OilyBill
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Sat May 27, 2023 12:54 am

I had some machine tools moved into my shop in Tucson, and hired a company names "ASR Transport" to come and move them. That was the smartest thing I ever did. I had a new lathe and mill delivered from the factory to their facility, where they could unload it from the semi, and then they brought them to my house on one of their own semis, moved them down the alleyway, through the gate, into the shop, and set them up perfectly. Took them about 15 minutes from when they arrived until the tools were in place and they were waving goodbye. They made it look easy.

While talking to them, I discovered that they had the contract to move the steam locomotive "RENO", which has a home at Old Tucson Studios, out to anywhere it was needed for filming. They told me they could have it lifted and loaded and ready to go in just 2 hours, and reloaded it to return just as fast. They joked that the locomotive has traveled further on the back of one of their trucks on I-10 than it ever did when running on rails. They have transported it as far as New Mexico (For the Will Smith "Wild Wild West" movie) and all over Arizona. The boiler is no longer any good, and the locomotive is actually driven by a diesel-driven industrial air compressor in the antique box car that follows the tender around. It only moves at slow speed, so compressed air is good enough for filming. When they hoist the locomotive, the wheels drop out, the locomotive is placed on a flatbed with the proper blocking already in place, and the wheels are loaded separately. Other flatbed trucks carry whatever rail cars they are using for that particular day of shooting.

I learn something new every day!

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Sat May 27, 2023 8:16 am

JohnM wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:38 pm
Some 20 plus years ago, my 1927 was used in (I'm sorry I can't recall the name) movie that was filmed in St Louis and I was paid as a driver. I don't recall the dollar amount, but I do remember the car made more money than I did.
Are you talking about the NBC mini-series "A Will of Their Own"? It was about the women's suffrage movement. One thing I remember is that the guy in charge of the cars insisted that his drivers eat with the cast instead of the extras. Better food.

dickcop2.jpg

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Sat May 27, 2023 11:58 am

Yes, I think that was it. Marty and Sue Luepker were in charge of " properties" I believe. I only worked one day. It was a moving street scene and when I watched the movie, they cut the scene at the moving car in front of me, so I missed my chance at stardom. ;)

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Sat May 27, 2023 6:42 pm

My old Fordson Major was requested for a movie around 15 years ago, as I recall it made $125 NZD/day.

I didn't want to be in the flick myself, although various colleagues at the time were (the airfield was closed, so what else could they do), however I was invited to partake of a very decent lunch. There were various tables at which you sat, much like school, and I imagine you could have talked with whoever you wanted although no doubt they all had their favourite group. I don't tend to be 'star struck' and didn't feel a need to accost anyone other than whomever I randomly sat with - upon reflection they could have been a 'star', but I'd never have known!

Luke.

Obligatory photo of said Fordson at airfield where they happened to have some new (small!) Ford tractors parked:

IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic