Front License Plate and Bumpers

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Front License Plate and Bumpers

Post by Humblej » Thu May 25, 2023 8:44 am

When I acquired my 1926 T back in the 1970's, the front license plate, a modern historic vehicle plate, was mounted on the headlight bar with 2 rubber coated adell clamps. I eventually used a 1926 Michigan YOM plate and mounted it on a bracket under the radiator on the front spring clamp thinking it would improve radiator airflow, and I'm sure it did. Now I am adding Ford bumpers and want to move the plate up higher. I tried using the Model A clamps to mount the plate to the headlight bar and find the license plate is too low and sticks out too far and interferes with the hand crank. Lots of older posts on this subject including the 15th million T coming off the assembly line with 2 clamps on the headlight bar w/o a plate, and another pic of the same car with the Michigan dealer plate "3M" attached on the headlight bar, although a 2 digit plate is rather small compared to my 6 digit plate. What do others do? Anyone mount to the front bumper? I may have to go back to under the radiator again.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Front License Plate and Bumpers

Post by TWrenn » Thu May 25, 2023 8:53 am

I guess the first question here would be, does it REALLY "bother" your radiator cooling THAT much? Cause frankly, if just a license plate in front of it is making that much difference, then I think you have a bigger problem with the radiator in and of itself.
I'd keep it on the bar like it was before. Just my two cents.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu May 25, 2023 9:03 am

It's been about 20 years since I restored my 26 but I bought two clamps from one of our vendors. They clamp to the headlight bar. I put them on with the bolt at the top. That raises the top of the California plate about one inch above the bar. I also have bumpers and this does not interfere with the hand crank. I also have a good Brassworks radiator on the car and no problem with overheating. Only time I overheated was when I had a leak in the head gasket causing the water to flow out. The leak was in the back behind the manifold and I didn't find it until it overheated.
Norm

Professor Fate
First Name: Dan
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 and '26
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Professor Fate » Thu May 25, 2023 9:17 am

I live in a 2 plate state. The rear plate is always on the car. But I keep the front plate in the car under the seat or on the wall in my shop. The only time it's on the car is when I get my annual "inspection" sticker.

I don't want a plate on the front of my cars. Personal preference. And I've never been stopped/hassled by the law in over 30 yrs.

Topic author
Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Thu May 25, 2023 9:25 am

The current Michigan historic vehicle plate is a standard size plate. My 1926 California YOM plate is even smaller, but the 1926 Michigan 6 digit YOM plate is huge.
20230525_091629[2534].jpg

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu May 25, 2023 10:40 am

I don't want a plate on the front of my cars. Personal preference. And I've never been stopped/hassled by the law in over 30 yrs.

Years ago I was in California with my single-plate Kansas Suburban and found a ticket on the windshield. Two "infractions" were listed:
Expired tag (it wasn't), and No front plate. The next morning I went to the Torrance police HQ and explained that both violations were bogus.
:)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu May 25, 2023 10:44 am

Jeff, your bar is lower than mine.
Horseless 5.jpg

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu May 25, 2023 11:15 am

"Interferes with the hand crank"
Keep your electric starting system in top shape.
Hand starting with bumpers will be a new experience.
Although attractive, several fellow club members have removed them for fear of getting tangled up when hand cranking.

Chuck Regan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 50122
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chuck Regan » Thu May 25, 2023 11:38 am

Jeff - I like my plate under the radiator - legal second plate but not too obvious. John makes a good point about hand cranking - you can do it, but watch your back as your are extended over the bumper.
Attachments
IMG_0469.jpeg

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Thu May 25, 2023 1:18 pm

I would not hand crank a Model T equipped with a front bumper. When I originally typed this, I left out the word "equipped". After reading what I had written, I realized that I would never, ever hand crank a Model T or (anything else) with a front bumper; I would use the proper crank.

su8pack1
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 52360

Post by su8pack1 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:42 pm

I picked up this pair of 1925 PA plates for my roadster and registered them for the car. The scratch on the one fits perfect with the crank so that went on the front.
Attachments
1925 Model T 78.jpeg

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu May 25, 2023 4:57 pm

I have no problem with cranking with the plate and the bumper. Before I turn the key on, I retard the spark and use the right hand on the crank for a couple pulls to prime the cylinders. Then I go around and turn the key to battery. Sometimes I get a free start. if no free start, I then go to the front and use the left hand on the crank. I only pull up and when it gets to the top, I quickly raise my arm. Then when it starts I quickly run around to advance the spark.
Normally I use the starter, but sometimes on the first start after being parked a while, i hand crank so that I don't drain what is left in the battery.
Norm

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Thu May 25, 2023 7:28 pm

Ohio no longer requires front license plates. However, if there is a front plate displayed, it must match the rear plate. Never heard of anyone getting into trouble for non compliance.

Art Mirtes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic