I want to go camping with these guys!!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

I want to go camping with these guys!!

Post by Scott C. » Sat May 27, 2023 2:18 am

I stumbled onto this video. These guys are my kind of men! How many of you would do this? Anyone know who they are? Looks like they had a great time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyVXQ0wn440

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: I want to go camping with these guys!!

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat May 27, 2023 8:19 am

The Stude needed a tow, but the Ford bounced out on its own. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat May 27, 2023 3:02 pm

Taken somewhere near La Pine Oregon. I have a friend who lives in La Pine who says he knows one of the men in the video. That area is east of the Cascades where it is a little drier than on the coast, but still gets seasons with snow in winter and thunder storms in summer.
Norm

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat May 27, 2023 3:57 pm

Not certain. But I think the Studebaker belongs to Linus Tremaine, avid antique automobile camper that used to live in California, but I believe moved up to the PNW a couple years ago.

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Sat May 27, 2023 7:47 pm

We have been trying to get a group together here in Arkansas. There are a couple of us who drive backroads and camp but we need more to join us. We live in the Ozark mountains of Arkansas and have thousands of miles of roads and trails to drive on. You can also camp anywhere in the National Forests within 100 feet of a road that is legal to be on. That opens up almost unlimited camping spots. I posted a video several days ago showing our last trip the wife and I took. (titled camping with the 27 touring) It's a lot more fun than a car show :) :)

Don Demio
First Name: Don
Last Name: Demio
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Post by Don Demio » Sun May 28, 2023 10:21 am

These men and those they encounter are making and sharing memories of a life time. They are "Glass Half-Full" people who are not afraid to get outside of their comfort one. Dean Yoder and George Akin are two such men driving their Model Ts long distances across our country. I had the honor of sharing the drive from Tennessee to Wisconsin and back last year. One such example of a memory was when we were coming down a dirt road to a river crossing only to find several guard rails with a road closed sign. The work around was only a few milles. On the other side of the water we stoped to gas up and were informed the bridge was washed out 5 years earlier. We each laughed and commented about that situation while at Chickasha this spring. Don't be afraid to get out there after going over your T, recruit some friends, make a plan and go-for-it. Next month we plan to do it again headed to Kansas. Hope to see you there or along the way!!

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun May 28, 2023 11:23 am

T's are quite good at crossing streams as long as the oil filler or the carburetor are not submerged. If possible it is good to go downstream, which can be done in a city with the blocks near each other you enter the water on the upstream side and go diagonally across to the other street a block away. However aware of possible potholes or sinkholes.
Camping out in a tent. We used to do it on every vacation when I was young. Up till we moved to Alpine. Just around our property are plenty of places to hike. From our yard we can go up to the top of a 4,000' peak. We are about 2.000' here. Now I need a good mattress to sleep on and if I get down on my knees, I need something to pull up on to stand again. T running boards and fenders work very well for that. I can get up without help, but my arthritic joints tell me NO!
Norm

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun May 28, 2023 12:08 pm

Camping is not for everybody, and neither is Model T travel. But for a few of us combining the two is sweet. Some folks think they would like to participate, but are afraid to try. That was me. It wasn't the camping out that put me off. I've slept on the ground since 1946 that I remember, and maybe before that that I don't. It was the possibility of car troubles that made me apprehensive. I told Mike Bender I was considering a drive across five states to the OCF but was afraid of breaking down. He pointed out that wherever you go in the USA with a Model T, there's likely to be help not far away. So I went. And I did break down. And there was help nearby that had me back on the road in a couple of days. That first OCF trip ended up being through seven states.

Since that first trip in 2018 I've driven my 1915 to Detroit in 2019, 2021, and 2022. I'll do it again this year if they let me back in. On every trip I've had events, but none of them major — loose carb float, cracked windshield, spark plug failure, flat tire — and I consider them just part of the adventure.

So go. If you think you'd like to but are afraid of what might happen, get your T in good shape and go.

IMG_4098 copy.JPG
September 17, 2019: In the Flint Hills of Greenwood County, Kansas, on my way home from Michigan with a baling wire windshield support.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Sun May 28, 2023 5:37 pm

I am the old fat guy in the red shirt (that looked like I was about to fall over from exhaustion because I was). I was the wagon master for this trip, it was epic, not just what is on Casey's video but the whole trip and what a great group to do it with. When we left on Wednesday there was no rain in the forecast, the worst part of the whole trip was the skeeters at the mud bog. I want to give a BIG THANK YOU to Casey and Jeremy for coming to our rescue and doing such a great job getting us all out safely. It has been a while since we have gone a multiple night tent camping trip and it may be a while before I can talk anyone into another but we do a lot of day trips and overnighters where we take motorhomes and trailer the cars to an area and then explore the back roads. In the almost 25 years that we have been doing trips, this was the first time that we couldn't get ourselves out. One of the cars has a winch on it and we was able to get the Ts and the A out but the Stude was just to big and heavy. Nobody died so we are calling it a win. P.S. the wives that were with us were real troopers, helped dig, cut branches, slept in the cars, and got eaten by skeeters all without complaint.
IMG_1156.jpeg
IMG_1163.jpeg
IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1184.jpeg

Topic author
Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

Post by Scott C. » Sun May 28, 2023 11:16 pm

Dennis, thanks for replying to my post! That looks like a great time to me. Am I correct in assuming that you have a Ruckstell in your roady? What size are those tire chains? What kinds of modifications have you done to it, to make it trail worthy?

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802

Post by Dennis Prince » Mon May 29, 2023 12:15 am

Scott, We have done quite a bit to our cars, mine has a Ruckstell, KC Warford (12 forward gears and 6 in reverse) 4 to 1 gears, 525/21 6 ply tires and aux brakes. The engine has a Z head, Chaffin's 280 cam and Truefire ign. The tire chains I made from a bucket of different chains, they make the T into a little tractor but once I was stuck I couldn't put them on. One of the other T's has a winch on it and he was able to winch me out but the Stude was too big and heavy for his winch. We also carry shovels, axes, tire ropes for the sand and a recovery rope.

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Mon May 29, 2023 11:58 am

Wow, what an epic camping trip.

Everyone should take the time to watch this recovery video. What's not to like? Model T's, a couple of A's, 1921 Studebaker touring car, Jeep TJ recovery vehicle, flooded roads, eagle, hawk, field of lupines in bloom, mud bog, smoking lightning struck tree, mosquitos and a rattlesnake. :o

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon May 29, 2023 4:47 pm

I agree with Scott. My RPU has been over the hill, through the woods and seen pleanty of mud but not that far out and while camping. Thanks for sharing it with us.

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Tue May 30, 2023 2:55 am

dobro1956 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 7:47 pm
We have been trying to get a group together here in Arkansas. There are a couple of us who drive backroads and camp but we need more to join us. We live in the Ozark mountains of Arkansas and have thousands of miles of roads and trails to drive on. You can also camp anywhere in the National Forests within 100 feet of a road that is legal to be on. That opens up almost unlimited camping spots. I posted a video several days ago showing our last trip the wife and I took. (titled camping with the 27 touring) It's a lot more fun than a car show :) :)
We should talk, 3rd gen model Ter and I just moved to west TN so not so far. I have 2 canvas tents, a large and small. The "large" is a 400 sq foot home complete with woodstove, chandelier, dining room, bedrooms etc.

Last year we did the national tour but to save money we camped instead of paying the room rate. Using the smaller canvas tent with fly. It looked AWESOME with the speedster parked on the grass and canvas tent setup. I may do the same for the speedster reunion this year
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Tue May 30, 2023 4:44 pm

Chad, Would love to visit with you. The wife and I are both retired and are trying to see and do as much as we can while our health is still pretty good. We vintage camp and also do modern overlanding with our modern rig. We live right in some of the best camping of the Ozarks.
Phone, five 0 one 745 four 39 seven
email , dobro@artelco.com
e-mail at above address is best because this time of year we are in the woods a lot.

Check out, Model T Camp and Adventures on youtube. We just started videoing some of our trips. We are new and just learning so please bare with us on the videos. But each one gets a little better

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed May 31, 2023 10:00 am

This is an interesting story. Bump!
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic