Driving Ts from Manhattan to Lincoln

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
baltrusch
First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Baltrusch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 speedster, 1918 Touring, 1922 Sedan

Driving Ts from Manhattan to Lincoln

Post by baltrusch » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:39 pm

Is anyone planning to drive their T from the Manhattan MTFCA tour to the Speedster Reunion in Lincoln Wednesday or Thursday of the tour? Does anyone know of low traffic side routes? Thanks. Kurt Baltrusch

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Re: Driving Ts from Manhattan to Lincoln

Post by Rob » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:47 pm

Kurt,
I think Ed A. and Dean Y. plan to make a portion of the Lincoln event. I live west of Lincoln, and my experience is that Hwy 15 north through Superior is not heavily travelled. There is a degree of truck traffic, and it is a little hilly (by Nebraska standards). I think Hwy 77 through Beatrice to Lincoln is much more heavily travelled, but may be almost all four lane by now. We’ll see what others think.
Rob

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:57 pm

I see if you want to take the scenic route, you put google maps on bicycle and take 13 to Lincoln. Lots of ways to get there. Ed drives #4, the yellow speedster. Dean will probably be in his camper.

Rob might even drive down the night before and come up with you.

dave

At first I thought you were driving from New York City.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:26 pm

For those who are unaware of county road maps, see the Kansas and Nebraska DOT websites. They both have good maps that show all the roads, not just the main highways.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

YellowTRacer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Archer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 replica Transcontinental race car, 1915 2 man race car, 1918 American bodied speedster
MTFCA Number: 19
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by YellowTRacer » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:56 pm

Rob is right. Karen and I are leaving the National Tour right after the the days events on the 21st. and heading to Lincoln in old #4. Since we have no lights we have to get to Lincoln before dark and will explore the routes that have been suggested. The big question is this. On our way out, driving to Kansas taking highway 50 through Nevada leaves us in Salina, Utah. I usually jump on I-70 at that point, but really don't want to this time. But I do want to get back to I-70 as we go through the Rocky Mountains as I love that beautiful route following the river and paralleling the railroad tracks for so many miles. Can somebody suggest a route to get us through Utah a different way and then back to I-70 without going hundreds of miles out of our way? I suspect, that's not possible.

Ed aka #4

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:17 pm

baltrusch wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:39 pm
Is anyone planning to drive their T from the Manhattan MTFCA tour to the Speedster Reunion in Lincoln Wednesday or Thursday of the tour? Does anyone know of low traffic side routes? Thanks. Kurt Baltrusch
I played with Google maps to see what the routes were like. They have various options.
You can click on the yellow person icon & roads that you can view as if driving them pop up. Click on one of those lines & you will literally get a 360 degree view you can even click down the road & see what its like driving on it. I did that for some of the roads on the Bicycle option - many gravel roads - one gravel road had a concrete bike path along side of it In looking at the highways, 77 is a 2 land divided highway while 99 is just a 2 lane highway and likely less traveled.
Highways.png
--
Bike Note the terrain elevation changes in the bottom left side
Mto L bike.png
--
Car wouldn't do the blue route
M to L ca.png
--
--
I don't know the area just Google map views but this look the best this is the link to it https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Manhatt ... ?entry=ttu

--
Best route.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:31 pm

There are also real Model T roads. :D

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 10.24.57 PM.png