Loose spoke tennons

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
colonelpowers
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Powers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor

Loose spoke tennons

Post by colonelpowers » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:07 pm

Slowly, with y'alls help I have been sorting out the little bugs and issues with my old T and by and large it has become a pretty well reliable car. I was out the other day and when turning in a parking lot I noticed a popping noise coming from a rear wheel. When I got home I jacked it up and inspected the offending wheel to find that on this one wheel the tennons have apparently shrunk in the felloe so the felloe can move visibly side to side on the spokes. It isn't much at all, probably not much more than the thickness of a dime, but it is perseptable and audible. I wonder if you could somehow fashion a sleeve to drive down onto the end of the tennon to tighten it up or even drive a hammer handle wedge to swell the end of the tennon. I don't want to just rig something that is not safe and I can certainly replace the spokes if that is the best option but I thought that I would ask the experts.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Loose spoke tennons

Post by Humblej » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:43 pm

Time to send your wheels out for new spokes.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:35 pm

Old spokes wheels are like old radiators. Sooner and not later they need to be replaced.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:55 pm

If the tenons through the fellos are healthy, this is how the repair is made: https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33590

Not all loose wheels can be repaired safely this way, and you need to establish for yourself what the soundness of the wood is
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 pm

Time to re-spoke. If you have demountables you should remove the rim and look at the felloes. Your tenons need to fill the hole and be tight. Often the end of the tenon is eroded by years of moisture and stress. You don't want the wheel to come apart at the least opportune time.....
I had some spokes loose like you described. I gave one a couple of solid whacks with a rubber mallet and the tenon sheared right off. It didn't take much as there was only a nub remaining.
IMG_2706.jpg
This is what the tenons should look like. I brush spar varnish on mine to seal the wood against moisture.
IMG_2707sm.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:23 pm

How many bad tenons you talking about ? My wife's old '25 Coupe had a couple punky ones on a couple wheels - I drilled out the soft wood down about an inch & a half & drove ribbed joinery pegs down in tight with wood glue - she drove it that way for near 20 years. I wouldn't recommend doing that on ever tenon but a couple, your call.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:29 pm

The original post mentioned loose tenons. Fitting shims with a spoke jack will not cure this. It may make the wheel "tight" again, but there will still be the undersized tenon in the felloe.
I had to rebuild a wheel on Henrietta. I needed a replacement with similar patina so it did not look out of place on the car. The only one suitable in my stash was a front wheel, so I had a hub to change.
We owners of Canadian cars are blessed with spokes having tapers front to rear on the hub end of the spokes, so disassembly and reassembly does not require a press. The spokes can be driven off the hub, a bit at a time until they are free.
I devised my own shims to tighten the spokes and tighten the tenons. I punched a set of discs from some thin sheet metal taken from a four gallon oil drum. Then the centres were marked and a slitting disc on a Dremel tool was used to cut two suits in the centre. A punch was used to bend the centre cut sections up so the shim could be driven over the tenons. Thus, the spokes were both shimmed to tighten them at the hub and the tenons were shimmed to tighten them in the felloe.
They are invisible on inspection. The wheels are tight and her original patina has been preserved. Would I do it again on a car which is driven more and at greater speeds? That would depend on how sound the spokes were on the donor wheel. Many are just too far gone.

On a different thought, do any of the rebuilders offer rebuilding wheels with the double taper spkes like the Canadian wheels? It would make it far easier for you to rebuild your own wheels.
Allan from down under.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:13 am

If I have a wood felloe wheel that needs rebuilding, I send the metal parts to a pro (Noah Stutzman) who has the proper equipment, knowledge, and years of experience. If I have a steel felloe wheel that needs new spokes, I assemble it myself with a Regan press. It ain't rocket surgery. :D

https://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG108.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic