Top bow spacing 23-25 touring

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Don ellis
First Name: Don
Last Name: Ellis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,1917,23,27
MTFCA Number: 17946
MTFCI Number: 15366

Top bow spacing 23-25 touring

Post by Don ellis » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:35 pm

When I nest the bows correctly the third bow is 5/8 wider than the measurements call for. Is this going to bite me in the butt when I put the top on? Or should I build it to the correct measurements and the bows not nest?
Attachments
IMG_4794.jpeg

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: Top bow spacing 23-25 touring

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:38 pm

Don ellis wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:35 pm
When I nest the bows correctly the third bow is 5/8 wider than the measurements call for. Is this going to bite me in the butt when I put the top on? Or should I build it to the correct measurements and the bows not nest?
There seems to be some variation in bow widths. I came across this recently when replacing the front bow in my '25 Touring. Before you decide on any dimension, put the bows in place, as-is, and hold it all together with "C" clamps. Then drape the top material over the bows, for a trial fit. When fitting any top, make your mind up in advance that you'll need to make many trial fits and many adjustments. This is why I do NOT use staples. Once they're in, they're a b*tch to remove. With tacks, you can pound them in 1/2 way and easily remove them in order to reposition or add some stretch to your top material.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Top bow spacing 23-25 touring

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:51 pm

The bows won’t nest perfectly.

The fit of the irons and bows to the body is most important.

This thread gives good starting point to fit the structure before trimming.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1532315769
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic