Need Suggestions for Stop Lights/Turning Signals for My Coupe

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BLB27
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Brakke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe
MTFCA Number: 31192

Need Suggestions for Stop Lights/Turning Signals for My Coupe

Post by BLB27 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 pm

I need suggestions for stop lights/turning signals for my 1927 coupe. Locations and types, etc. I have front and rear bumpers. The rears are the short split type.

The suppliers' catalogs have a number of options.

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Re: Need Suggestions for Stop Lights/Turning Signals for My Coupe

Post by varmint » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:57 pm

You may not want to make modifications like I did.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/8785L.aspx
https://www.modeltford.com/item/8785R.aspx

We already had the factory left side and purchased the right side.
We have the left license plate and light.
For the right, I bought a worn out light and broken license plate holder to modify and drilled the holes in the fender.
I remove the bayonet socket and weld in a dual contact bayonet socket (like I did on my '50 pickup). It should have a tab for a ground wire.
I have not even planned out the front side.
Vern
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:49 am

There are two basic approaches to this question. You can buy a ready-made system, or you can make it yourself. Being Mister Thrifty, I went with the latter. I used some sheet metal and other scraps I had on hand, a couple of old running lights and tail light cans I picked up at Hershey, and LED's and other electronic bits bought online. I think I may have spent as much as $50 altogether. No, sorry, I didn't make a diagram. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH85w4Yqhi4

In the video the tail and brake lights look orange, but they're actually red. The control panel has switches for tail lights, turn signals, emergency lights, and outlets for phone charger and GPS. Since the video was made I've added indicators for the tail and brake lights.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:59 am

Assuming your Coupe is 6v, you might find advantages in fitting 12v turn and brake lights and a small 12v battery as used in alarms.
12v bits are cheaper, more plentiful. Of course, it all has to be LEDs. The battery will then last for months between recharges.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:30 am

Checked Iowa DOT law for lens/bulb color options - very liberal
2. Directional signal devices shall be designed with a white, yellow or amber lamp or
lamps to be displayed on the front of vehicles and with a lamp or lamps of red, yellow or amber
to be displayed on the rear of vehicles. Such devices shall be capable of clearly indicating
any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and shall be visible and understandable
during both daylight and darkness from a distance of at least one hundred feet from the front
and rear of a vehicle equipped therewith.

321.387 Rear lamps.
Every motor vehicle and every vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles
shall be equipped with a lighted rear lamp or lamps, exhibiting a red light plainly visible
from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear. All lamps and lighting equipment originally
manufactured on a motor vehicle shall be kept in working condition or shall be replaced with
equivalent equipment

Tail lights: 1 minimum
minimum height: n/a
maximum height: n/a

321.389 Reflector required.
Every new motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer hereafter sold and every commercial vehicle hereafter operated on a highway shall also carry at the rear, either as a part of the rear lamp or separately, a red reflector meeting the requirements of this chapter.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

greasemonkey100
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Fordor

Post by greasemonkey100 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:34 pm

On my '27 Fordor I installed 6 volt motorcycle turn lights I found on ebay with brackets that bolt on with the bumper. I like the look and they are plenty bright for people to see.
Attachments
20230225_151831.jpg
20230225_151818.jpg
20221202_143255.jpg

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi Bruce,
Turn & brake will not be stock so throw caution to the wind. I like the model A Duralite tail lights, they have tail/turn & brake and look
somewhat correct. The Signalstat 900 turnsignal switch can be had with indicator lights in it from some of the T suppliers as well as the amber
beehive turn lights for the front. Suppliers sell them in 6 & 12 volt. I would stay away from cheap solutions. One thing people forget is that DOT
requires any light on a vehicle work reguardless if it is factory equipment or not.
Craig.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:29 am

Planning to use the column mounted horn combo light switch for a horn & turn signal switch. Have the switch and several casings that mount on the column. Used pictures from the Internet. Haven't taken any of mine yet.
light switch.png
light switch.png (366.28 KiB) Viewed 488 times
Also to use taillights (like the drivers side repro) with an amber bulb dual filament bulb (led). Will point the license plate window outward for visibility to traffic on the left & right. The center bolt makes easy mounting, Some rerouting of the wire connections will be required,
Attachments
Idea 2.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic