26-27 Brakes

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dunoon
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

26-27 Brakes

Post by dunoon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 am

I relined the brake shoes and now the wheel is real tight. I was thinking about removing 3-4" of the brake lining on both ends or grinding the brake cam thinner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: 26-27 Brakes

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:53 am

Did you "reline" the original bands or use the current reproduction ?

Topic author
dunoon

Post by dunoon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 pm

the brake shoes are original, the linings are new/reproduction

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Generally just a taper or bevel to the leading edges will relieve drag by new brake shoe linings. Some times you have to sand down that lining, its got brass fiber so a table sander works good, just use gloves!

A dab of grease lined on the inside of the brake drum will show where the lining is most impinging, like to do that with the axle key out, and just rotate the wheel or rear hub by hand and feel or look for where the lining is highest. Use lacquer thinner to remove the grease residue.

Once you get the real tight gone, the normal driving will reduce drag and heat. Just get them fitted the best you can.

And remember, those brake shoe edges must tuck under the 'tabs' on the backing plate, that holds the brake shoe against the backing plate to prevent dragging.

Wouldn't mess with grinding the cam, that will loose leverage for stopping by reducing the opening of the brake shoe.
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Inthegarage
First Name: John
Last Name: Mosher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster pick up
MTFCA Number: 49626

Post by Inthegarage » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I just finished replacing the brake shoes on the 27 and they did have some drag in them. What I did was set the emergency brake tight and let it sit overnight and I did reduce the drag quite a bit. Once I get some miles on them I think they will seat in. So try that.

Shane Lach
First Name: Shane
Last Name: Lach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor and 1921 speedster in progress

Post by Shane Lach » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:56 pm

I sanded and sanded the shoes and still had drag on mine, so I grinded the shoe where it rides on the cam a bit. It allowed the shoe to close more and cleared with no adverse effects.

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:52 pm

When I installed the repro linings I found the material needed to be bonded at the ends, otherwise they would rub against the drum. I used JB Weld with good results. Having said that, I found the braking performance to be less than the original asbestos linings, and eventually I had the shoes lined with modern bonded material.

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Did you try adjusting the brake rods longer?

Stephen

Topic author
dunoon

Post by dunoon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:02 pm

I don't have the rods attached yet.

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Oh, well ignore that idea then :lol: I once had a bent brake shoe on my 26 coupe that was causing a pretty heavy drag. Re-shaping the shoe with a hammer solved that issue quickly. How thick is the new lining? The origional was 5/32" thick. If you're using 3/16 then that is causing the brakes to drag. Just to clarify, if you're using the correct lining and the shoes are not bent, a very slight drag is not a problem. Often it's caused by the ends of the lining rubbing the drum. A few stops with the hand brake will take care of that.
Stephen

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:40 pm

It might be the taper on the axle or inside the hub has worn causing the drum to hit the side of the shoe. Try a shim on the end of the axle. If that cures the problem, you have worn tapers. If that doesn't change anything, it is the actual outside surface of the lining against the drum. probably just rubbing in a few places if the wheel will turn. Adjust the rods a bit looser and then drive a short distance and use the parking brake lever to stop the car a few times. Don't drive far because the brakes might overheat. Also be careful because it might pull to one side when you apply the brake, so don't go very fast when you do this. If this doesn't fix the problem at least you can pull the wheel and see where it has been rubbing and grind a small amount off those areas and it should work just fine.
Norm

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Richard, it is important that the running clearance between the brake shoe and the drum be set with the car in top gear, so that there is no drag when cruising down the road. This means adjusting the rods to suit. As a result the clearance will be greater in neutral and will then actuate the shoes as the lever is pulled further back and the opposite side of the cam is engaged.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic