Trans Filter Mods?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Trans Filter Mods?

Post by JP_noonan » Thu May 16, 2019 11:10 pm

Doing some preventive maintenance today on the T today, and while pulling the aftermarket Trans filter, i was reminded of some pics i saw here awhile back of opening up the relatively small drum oil holes ..(Maybe it was Dan T ?) Although i love the idea of the filter and magnet on the bottom of the filter collecting junk, was wondering if those small holes were adequate enough to properly lubricate the drums/bands. Has anyone here done this?..Thanks.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Trans Filter Mods?

Post by DanTreace » Sat May 18, 2019 9:01 pm

John

This mod seems reasonable to do, so have done on all these have installed. Using a step reamer and enlarge the vendor stamped in small holes with the tiny deflector. Others do it too, I think the gang of built by Toon ones are nice.

IMO, Bigger is Better for the oil holes in the screens :D

oil.jpg
oil.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 2392 times

IMG_2297 (640x480).jpg

491380.jpg
387628.jpg
387628.jpg (80.79 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Sat May 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks Dan, i thought i was losing my mind there for a bit and just imagined this was being done. :D Although we all know there is a hurricane of oil being thrown around under the cover, I'm with you that the bigger the holes the better. Plenty of material between the holes to work with, so why not. Did mine today with a step reamer like you and then indented the holes to allow for better flow, happy with the way it came out. Thanks for the reply. ;)

Before:
IMG_0374.JPG
After:
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 pm

John

Nice job! Like those dimples...will do that in the future.

Yes, lots of oil thrown, since the oil screen has that nice angled plate, larger holes would dump right on the bands and drums, and importantly the triple gears/bushings too. That oil screen diverter plate might block some of the thrown oil that would normally hit the inspection cover lid. Without an oil screen the thrown oil would splash up and hit the lid, that lid on the later T's is formed to provide some what of a diverter, with the shallow angles stamped into it.

Did a video years ago using a plate of glass over the hogshead with the cover removed. Filmed the splash of the oil with elec. starter and at low idle, to show how the oil flows up and onto the oil screen diverter. This is the stock vendor one with rather small holes / with stamped / like a half circle, as half of the hole is a tiny flange. :roll: You can see in one of the frame stills, that the oil sheeting really isn't falling into those little holes...some does....but seems to me the viscous oil just glides over those tiny holes. So making them bigger is got to help 8-)

2019-05-18 23.41.03.jpg
2019-05-18 23.42.03.jpg

Note the very small meniscus of oil formed over one tiny hole, the little hole trying to gulp down a bit of oil.

2019-05-18 23.45.13.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic