Ford special racing motor description- starting with the smallest

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Ford special racing motor description- starting with the smallest

Post by Rob » Sun May 19, 2019 9:59 am

While waiting (im)patiently to get our Ford Special racer on the road, I've been trying to decipher, review and determine the number of Ford Special motors FMC built between 1910 and 1912. It appears at this point there were eight to ten different size motors. First, the smallest. I don't have a racing history of this motor, although I found one example of a smaller than T size Ford racing at Winnipeg in 1910.

A few drawings of components of a smaller Ford Special motor remain at Benson Library, THF.

This head gasket shows a head space diameter of 3 1/16 inch. In the bottom left is the designation M-IV (special motor number 4):
IMG_4049.PNG
3 1/16 inch diameter:
IMG_4055.JPG
There were two drawings of the motor front cover, numbered #81 and #82. Unlike the other special racing engine front covers, the M-IV looks similar to a 1911 T drawing. The other three drawing examples are made of aluminum, while this on is lasted as cast iron. There also is no place for a magneto driving shaft. The IV of M-IV is barely visible on the bottom left of drawing #81:
IMG_4047.PNG
Drawing #82 has slightly different measurements, and the M-IV is seen at the bottom left of the drawing:
IMG_4048.PNG
The M-IV hand brake lever drawing reads "use T forging by cutting down to required length:"
IMG_4051.PNG
Drawings courtesy of THF, all right apply.

Topic author
Rob
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Re: Ford special racing motor description- starting with the smallest

Post by Rob » Sun May 19, 2019 10:33 am

Also among the "M" drawings are a few for a 3x5 motor. My guess is these may be the same motor as the M-IV drawings. I believe the "3x5" may indicate bore and stroke, and that could correspond with the 3 1/16 inch head gasket chamber diameter. If the two are the same (3x5 and M-IV motor), the M-IV did have a magneto. Otherwise, there is another motor in addition to M-IV. This magneto strap drawing is for the "M" racer. The M (that I'll feature later) motor was one of the large engine racers (389 and 410 cubic inch):
IMG_4050.PNG
Unfortunately not many parts drawings of remain of the racers, so it's hard to "reconstruct each. If the "M-IV" and "3x5" motor are the same, a 3x5 bore stroke motor would be 141 cubic inches. My guess this was either an experimental motor, or FMC was building a smaller racer to compete in the under 160 cubic inch class.

The next step was to look for any Ford competing in the sub 160 cu in class. The only think I could find was a racer in Winnipeg owned by Ford Motor Company and driven by R. Roach, in the 160 and under class. The article below dated September 17, 1910 lists R. Roach entered in race #3 - cars up to 160 cubic inches. Intrerestingly, Roach is also listed in race #5, cars from 231 - 230 cu in, driving a Ford. I don't know if entries were allowed to race up classes or not, but that may be the case.
IMG_4060.JPG
In July 1910, Roach raced a Ford against a Maytag, Warren-Detroit and Croxton-Keaton, in Class B. Unfortunately, I don't know what Class B référés to. There appear to have been three organizations regulating races in 1910, and I don't know what rules and classes were followed for these races. Again, this may be a stretch (that this small Ford Special motor was raced in Winnipeg), but it's the only example of an under 160 cubic inch Ford race I could find.
IMG_4061.JPG
Anyway, we have one or two Ford Special motor drawings with a smaller than Model T engine.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun May 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Interesting.
I am looking forward to more details about the various "special" motors!

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 am

Wayne,
I'll go up the "food chain" on these motors by size (if I can keep them straight). The next two (and maybe three) I don't know much about. The late Bruce McCalley wrote in the MTFCA Encyclopedia that the archives included mention of two Ford Special motors at the beginning of the 1911 section. Unfortunately there is no footnote of where he found the information. The "racing engines" Bruce described have all the characteristics of the two remaining motors. The smaller motor bore/stroke would equal 192 cubic inches, and the larger motor 276 cubic inches.
IMG_4063.PNG
The next motor may be the same or a variation of the smaller motor described in the encyclopedia. All we know is Frank Kulick drove a 201 cubic inch Ford Special racer at Fairmont Park near Philidalphia in October 1910:
IMG_4073.PNG
Another racer in this smaller displacement group that is somewhat documented is the racer sent to France to compete in the 1911 French races and hill climbs. This racer performed well, finishing second overall in one of Europes most famous hill climbs at Mt. Ventoux. This racer was denied entry in one French race for 3 liter and under Grand Prix due to being underweight. It was wrecked while preparing for the all class Grand Prix, with speeds estimated at 75 - 80 mph at the time. This motor was a 183 cubic inch motor, allowing it to stay under the 3 liter class:
IMG_3031.JPG
Closeup of the motor following the French racer wrecked:
IMG_3033.JPG
Next, the mid sized and big motors.

Drkbp
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: Parker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1925

Post by Drkbp » Mon May 20, 2019 12:38 pm

The race entries for the Kirkfield Winnipeg Races, dated 17 September 1910, leave something to be desired. ;)

The Motor Age Race Summary after the race clears up the Ford running in the 231 to 300 class.
It didn't. :o

The Ford was entered in the Dunlop Trophy 25 Mile "Free For All", not the "231 to 300 class".
The Ford is not listed in the Motor Age summary so we don't know if he raced or not. Red Dot both summaries.

Compare the two. The typesetter made it look like the Ford was entered in the 231 to 300 class. :?

Race No. 3 is a Five Mile race:
The Ford was entered against the Maytag which is 196.35 cubic inch 2-cylinder and the 165 cubic inch 4-cylinder McLaughlin-(Buick) and neither are below 160 cubic inches in displacement. There is a 2-cylinder Buick 4-1/2" x 5" @ 159 cubic inches and that may be where the writers are coming up with "the 160 or under", don't know.

From the Motor Age Summary, we don't know if the Ford even raced. Also, there were other entries because it takes three cars to race.

Bottom line, a Ford was entered but the record doesn't show that Roach raced the car.

Side note:
The other McLaughlin-Buick entered by Selby is a 4-1/2"x4-1/2" -286 cubic inch 4-cylinder racer.
Buicks come in at least four sizes including a 2-cylinder.

I have some information on the 13 July 1910 race in Winnipeg in a following post.
The 2-cylinders are scooters that have paint buckets for pistons!! :lol: !
Attachments
SEE DUNLOP TROPHY RACE
SEE DUNLOP TROPHY RACE
DUNLOP TROPHY RACE
DUNLOP TROPHY RACE

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Mon May 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Ken, the Ford was entered, but didn't run in the later race. I doubt Ford would have send a "special" racer to Winnipeg, it's simply the only example of a 160 ci and under Ford I could find entered in a race, anywhere, between 1910 and 1912. Maybe Ford intended to have a small class racer available, but didn't actually build, or race one. I don't know which came first, the drawings, or if the motor was built, then drawings made?

I'm hopefull more information can be found, possibly at Benson Library. I would like to learn where Bruce McCalley found the info on the two motors listed in the MTFCA Encyclopedia.

Drkbp

Post by Drkbp » Mon May 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Rob,

You are really good at chasing this information down. Don't stop.
It helps to dig out the other tid-bits as we read through the material.
Great fun and fascinating stuff. Have to explore this stuff because it's the only way to figure it out, maybe! :lol:
I think Roach raced but they only gave first and second places so we can't see the whole picture.
Is Roach a name you have seen at the Detroit plant?

Wouldn't that be something to find one day? A 144 cubic inch open valve Model T engine! :o

Ken P

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Mon May 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks Ken. Ok, let's get to the ones we know. One of the drawings we have for several variations of the Ford Special racer are the front crankcase covers. The first was the 141 cubic inch M-IV shown above.

Next, let's take them in sequence.

-M- This is one of the larger motors.
IMG_4074.PNG
We know the -M- motor had a 4.75 inch outer diameter piston ring (compressed):
IMG_4079.PNG
I think "M" is the 389 cubic inch winner at Algonquin Hill Climb in 1911. That racer had a 4.75 x 5.5 bore/stroke:
IMG_4080.PNG
The next front engine cover with a remaining drawing is Model M-I:
IMG_4075.PNG
It looks like the "M-I" is the next larger variation of "M." This is the piston drawing of "M-I" showing a 4.86" diameter. The biggest racer that won the overall 1912 Algonquin Hill Climb had a 4.86 bore and 410 cubic inch motor.
IMG_4083.PNG

Drkbp

Post by Drkbp » Mon May 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Rob,

The one that got wrecked where the mechanic was killed is what I have in my notes. I believe you have them flipped.
The wreck was the 4-1/2" x 4-3/4" engine racer built for the French Grand Prix race, which is a 302.2 cubic inch displacement Ford Special Depasse entered. It was in the New York newspaper and the article said Frank Kulick might have be the driver or the Frenchman.
It was going to be the 10 car in the BIG CAR CLASS entry list you posted. Wrecked, didn't make the race in July.

The other one, Depasse raced the Ventoux Hill Climb with (the Voiturette with the horn attached to the dash). A 3 litre maximum (183 c.i.) which Depasse had to agree "was completely stock" before they would let him race it without ballast. This car was in the LIGHT CAR CLASS, 183 cubic inch or less, a Voiturette. It was below weight, 1763 pounds.
Was the small engine racer a Ford Special?

You had some really great photographs of that car!
I wonder why they had to have a horn? :?

Do you think the 201 cubic inch was what Frank Kulick had in the 31 car at the Elgin Fox River Race?
Kulick's 31 car was even lighter than the Hatch 38 car. That was about the same time I believe.
Attachments
10 CAR - DEPASSE DRIVER IN "BIG CAR CLASS"
10 CAR - DEPASSE DRIVER IN "BIG CAR CLASS"
NEWSPAPER COVERAGE OF THE 10 CAR
NEWSPAPER COVERAGE OF THE 10 CAR
WRECK OF THE 10 CAR -  4-1/2" X 4-3/4" , 302.2 CUBIC INCH FORD SPECIAL RACER
WRECK OF THE 10 CAR - 4-1/2" X 4-3/4" , 302.2 CUBIC INCH FORD SPECIAL RACER
20 CAR, THE VOITURETTE 3 LITRE MAX, 183 CUBIC INCH RACER
20 CAR, THE VOITURETTE 3 LITRE MAX, 183 CUBIC INCH RACER
DEPASSE MODEL T JUNE 25 1911 BOULOGNE.JPG (57.7 KiB) Viewed 12551 times

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Mon May 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Continueing with "M-1," we know this was a V-radiator with largest motor. Below is an October 1911 photo of Frank Kulick in the V nose racer that beat the world record holding Blitzen Benz earlier that fall:
IMG_4087.PNG
This is where it gets confusing. While there is no front engine cover drawing remaining for "M-II," it appears it was also a V radiator racer. We know that because of the photo below, a radiator inlet fitting, with left and right entry into the V radiator:
IMG_4084.PNG
The M-II also had a fan. The V radiator racer at The Henry Ford doesn't have room in front for a fan:
IMG_4089.PNG
Racer at THF:
IMG_4090.PNG
And both M-I and M-II have a dropped rear axle, a feature not seen on other racers prior to the appearance of the V radiator racer:
IMG_4091.PNG
If I sound confused, it's because I am. It's too bad only a fraction of the mechanical drawings exist for these racers. Next, the racer we are building, the 300 cubic inch M-III.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Tue May 21, 2019 8:04 am

We've touched on several "Ford Special" racing motors. M, M-1, M-2, the French racer, along with an undersized 141 cu in motor and the 201 cubic inch 1910 Fairmont Park racer. Next is the M-3 (III). This is the motor we are finishing with a chassis. It is a 300 cubic inch motor, and I believe the larger of the two that ran at the Mardi-Gras races in early 1911.

As with the M-IV, M and M-1, we have the front cover drawing for the 300 cu in M-III:
IMG_4076.PNG
A drawing showing the M-III head combustion chamber:
IMG_4094.PNG
Some drawings show multiple motors the component is used for. I'm surprised there aren't more common parts, and with a limited set of drawings, there may be many more dual purpose parts. This example shows the water pump impeller, used for
Model M, as well as M-III and the 3 13/16 bore motor:
IMG_4092.PNG
There is much more to learn about these special racing motors, and the racers Ford built. As it turns out, these were the last of the Henry Ford - Frank Kulick era racing cars. Between 1901 and 1912, Ford made for itself worldwide with racers that set records and grabbed headlines. And like Ford automobiles, they did it with a limited budget, creating lightweight streamlined no frills racers.

Drkbp

Post by Drkbp » Sat May 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Rob,

To answer your question (your May 19 post), the “Class B” refers to the "Class B Stock car" races at Winnipeg.
The races were being conducted under A.A.A. Stock Car rules. The other cars listed with the Ford are “Stock car” racers and the Ford Roach is driving has to be a 176.7 cubic inch Ford racer. It could be a Ford Special but it has to be 176.7 cubic inches displacement or it can’t race with them in that “stock car” race. The Class C race took care of a new Russell Canadian car. 8-)

The Ford cannot be a Ford Special 141 cubic inch or any displacement other than the 176.7 cubic inch displacement engine Ford Motor Company produces as a “production automobile” and race in that “Stock car” race. The displacement is key!

See the 1910 A.A.A. Rules you posted, for what is a “Stock car”.

Ford Specials are “Nonstock car” racers and can only race in Class D and Class E “Nonstock car” races.
The only exception we have discussed is the 12 car Frank Kulick drove at New Orleans. That 12 car has to be a 176.7 cubic inch Ford Special which does qualify to race in “Stock car” races or Mr. Butler would not have let it race in those “Stock car” races.

Stock car races, Classes A, B and C are subsets of “Stock car”. The Winnipeg race you had the question on is using the Class B and Class C designations of that. The cars racing in those races are correct for the class by their displacements which I checked. :|

It is just the rules of the sport in 1910, 1911 and 1912.
Attachments
RULES 1.png
CLASS B and C RACE EVENTS.jpg
NEW ORLEANS-161-230 CLASS 2B FORD SPECIAL 176.7 CUBIC INCH RACER.png

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Sat May 25, 2019 5:01 pm

There were three sets of rules, A.A.A. and two others (can't recall the acronyms at this moment). Also, AAA revised their rules in late summer early falll of 1910, so I'' not sure how their classes were affected. Bottom line, it's unlikely a Ford Special was sent to Winnipeg. Still, it's the only example of a sun 161 cu in Ford entered on any race I could find. Maybe the small motor project was scrapped.

As mentioned earlier, I don't know what comes first, a motor, then drawings, or drawings, then the motor.

Drkbp

Post by Drkbp » Sat May 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Rob,

It doesn't mean that the 141 cubic inch motor wasn't used at all. Just not in that race, that's all.
The 1910 A.A.A. Rules you posted were just a short version.

Here is the full blown A.A.A. Rules for 1911:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... up;seq=548

Stock cars can race in Class D and E events because they qualify. Nonstock cars cannot qualify under "Stock car".

Therefore you will see like at Algonquin in 1911 that "Stock cars" race with "Nonstock cars".
It just does not work the other way around.

Look at the 60 car, 61 car 63 car racing with Frank Kulick in the 64 car. The only "Nonstock car" in that race is the 64 car Ford Kulick is driving. The other three are "Stock car" racers, that happened to decide to give Mr. Kulick a run for his money. That's all.
Attachments
SEE LAST RACE, OTHERS AS WELL
SEE LAST RACE, OTHERS AS WELL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic