Sometimes my own stupidity amazes me.....

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Sometimes my own stupidity amazes me.....

Post by George Andreasen » Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm

This isn't going to be easy to admit.......

I've been working on a junk 1918 engine for close to 18 months now. When I say junk, I mean JUNK as the serial number had been roughly chiseled off years ago. To make a long story short, everything needed replacement in addition to rebuilding.

I've had the flywheel on and off quite a few times in order to set my magnet clearances, so the transmission drum assembly sat on the bench for awhile. When it came time to place it back on the main shaft, it was tight. So tight I had to "urge" it down with a copper hammer, thinking it would loosen up when it seated. Not so. Oh, it turned but took more effort than when I first installed it. Here comes the stupid part....

I spend several hours building a 3 arm puller to remove the drums. I began pulling and it moved, then froze. I applied a tiny bit more force and heard a pop. Quick examination showed that one of my puller arms broke a piece off the slow speed drum flange about 3/8" long. The drum surface itself was NOT injured but now I have a nice chunk missing from the flange. I was (and still am) pretty upset :( , since that drum was a very good used one obtained from Dave Huson.

Now, the question: Could I successfully run the drum if I carefully dress the broken portion to avoid hurting the linings, or should I just cuss a bit more and buy another replacement? I considered brazing, welding, etc. but that flange is very thin and I'm sure the heat would probably warp the drum.

Oh, what caused my brand new transmission bushings to suddenly get "tight"? In two words, assembly grease. The bushings were bored to a .003" fit if I recall, and the original grease hardened a bit while the drums were sitting on the bench (about two months). That grease is very soft, but it didn't take much to gum up the works! Next time, plain oil................

Scottio

Re: Sometimes my own stupidity amazes me.....

Post by Scottio » Mon May 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Would using a drum with a chunk out of it cause a out of balance issue? Don’t think you have cornered the market on making mistakes. Welcome to the worlds biggest club.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:10 pm

Pictures ??
A sign of intelligence is admitting the woopsies and learning. :)

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon May 20, 2019 4:20 pm

Better to replace the drum with a good one. See attached. If the drum breaks and locks your transmission, you will be in big trouble. The picture below shows what will happen.
Norm
3 piece drum.jpg

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 pm

...carefully dress the broken portion to avoid hurting the linings...

Been there, done that. It did not end well. Get another drum.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 pm

George, you have me a little confused, which is not hard to do. You say you broke a piece out of the flange on the low speed drum. I have never seen a low speed drum with a flange. Might you mean the reverse drum? I have seen quite a few reveres drums with chunks out of the flange, still in use, or at least having been in use until parted out. Definitely check the drum for further cracking, and perhaps spin it in a lathe to check run out, but such damage may not necessarily preclude further use.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Mon May 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Allan, I apologize........it IS the reverse drum. I also forgot to mention that close examination shows that the broken out area does NOT go down to the drum surface and there's no damage to the drum itself. My only concern was balance and whether the edges of the break out might chew on the band linings..........and especially if running it might change the break into a crack. Steve's comment is spot on really, and much thanks to everyone who responded.

Anyway, after a full day (and night) of self abuse :D , I think I'll start asking around about a replacement drum. After all, I'm getting pretty good at taking it apart!

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon May 20, 2019 9:19 pm

George,

Just finished cleaning, inspecting, polishing, and installing a new bushing in one for you.

Sent email with my phone number. Going to bed now but leave a voice mail if you still need it.

All the Best,

Hank

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 am

When you said flange I knew you meant reverse drum, not low. The reason for my remark is that I did just what you describe, smoothing a spot where a bit of flange was missing. That didn't keep it from chewing up the band lining. The last time I replaced a reverse drum I used one of Dave Nolting's new ones because all the originals I could find were cracked. It's rare to find one that isn't.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 am

May I offer that my own stupidity no longer amazes or surprises me.
Sorry for your troubles.
Rich
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic