Mules

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Mules

Post by Original Smith » Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 pm

I read with interest the article on the mules used in the factories, But what about the ones that were developed by the Fageol brothers to haul people around the Panama Pacific Exposition in 1915? There is a photo of one on ebay now, but there must be more information out there somewhere!

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100

Re: Mules

Post by Hap_Tucker » Thu May 23, 2019 6:20 am

Larry,

I agree with you and I too liked the article “Shop Tractors-Ford Mules for Industrial Use” in the May-Jun 2019 “The Vintage Ford.”

Thank you for the lead about the photo listed at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-PPIE-FAGE ... 9051!US!-1
The e-bay photo is shown below for educational/research purposes. If I had a larger mail box so they wouldn’t have to bend the photo to put it in the box, I probably would have purchased it. But my recent copy of “The Vintage Ford” has a permanent crease down the middle from being placed in our mail box and I would hate to see the photo with "white crease marks" like that.
E-bay 2019 May.jpg
It was listed as: 1915 PPIE FAGEOL TRACTOR AUTO TRAIN@SAN FRANCISCO PANAMA-PACIFIC EXPO~8x10 PHOTO along with the comment: “Beautiful 40 Year Old Sepia Tone Print Remaining From Unsold 1970s Store Inventory.”

The Coach Built site at: http://www.coachbuilt.com/des/f/fageol/fageol.htm has some good information on those 1915 people movers used for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. A lot of other information is there also, but the 1915 people-mover based on the Model T Ford car chassis is easy to find by going Ctrl-F and then typing “Panama” in the search block and hitting the enter key (on a PC). The site has some sketches of similar items – but not the same one in the photo.

At: https://calisphere.org/collections/16588/?q=&start=96 there are 462 photos from the Panama-Pacific Exposition. Nothing with wheels on the first 3 pages…..

More photos of the exposition at: https://sfpl.org/?pg=2000041101 but I don’t have time to look through them.
Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 am

Model T based mules were used on the platforms of the Adeleide railway station to haul luggage and parcels from the trains to the concourse. One was purchased by a local Nureseryman and used to pull waggons of plants and materials around the nursery. He had a wonderful collection of T models, and many youngsters in our club learned to drive a T using that mule.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu May 23, 2019 10:26 am

Too bad there isn't a more detailed photo of the actual mule somewhere. If you look at the photo above, all I recognize is a Ford radiator cap. If you read the description of the engines used for them, it clearly says that Ford engines powered the mules. Perhaps there is more information out there on the subject. Another related subject is the Fords that were assembled daily at the exposition. Someone posted at one time, that there was a special plate attached to each car, noting it's assembly at the exposition, but nothing to back it up.

John Page
First Name: John
Last Name: Page
MTFCA Number: 28488
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by John Page » Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Larry and Hap,

Thanks for posting the information on the Shop Mules.

Hap, I googled your link to the Pan Pacific photo and found another photo of a brass radiator T further down of the listings that came up.

Link and photo attached.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oakland-IDORA- ... 0010.m2109
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 6.58.46 am.png

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic