Driveshaft bushing question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Belliott3
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Model T Touring
MTFCA Number: 52438
MTFCI Number: 22121
Board Member Since: 2006

Driveshaft bushing question

Post by Belliott3 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:31 pm

I have a bit of a problem. While rebuilding my rear axle and two piece driveshaft, I installed a new bushing and now the driveshaft won't fit through. The driveshaft is brand new and the bushing fit over it when I first took it out of the package, but the I.D. of the bushing compressed slightly when I installed it using the correct driver. Chaffin's rebuild book says that you can ream out the center to get a better fit, but I can't seem to find any vendors that sell a 1" reamer; they all sell the facing reamer but not the center one. Any suggestions?

Bill Crosby
Last Name: Crosby
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring, 1920 Coupe, 1926 RPU, 1927 RPU, 25 speedster project
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Driveshaft bushing question

Post by Bill Crosby » Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Bill. Purchase an adjustable reamer from MSC.com, McMaster.com or off the internet and hand ream a little at a time or take it to your local machine shop. Smaller shops are more likely to help, Big shops are to busy. If you need more help send me a pm and I can talk you through the job. It's not hard to do just take your time.

Bill

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:01 pm

Bill C, Could a brake cylinder hone be used in this application? Much cheaper for a one time use.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (57.06 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Bill Crosby
Last Name: Crosby
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring, 1920 Coupe, 1926 RPU, 1927 RPU, 25 speedster project
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Bill Crosby » Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 pm

I have always used a reamer, It's muck quicker and more acurate. The hone shown would work as long as you only need to remove a small amount of material, go with slow RPM to keep it round and stroke it in and out to keep it straight. Use ATF as a cutting oil and It will flush away the removed material, keep the honing stones wet. Check It often so you don't get too big. Clean it very well to remove any small pieces of grit from the stones or It will ware on the drive shaft. Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic