1922 two-man top rear strap D ring cut off?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

1922 two-man top rear strap D ring cut off?

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Do I really have to cut or drill the rivet out of the lower D ring off the rear curtain strap and nail it to the tack strip? Is there another way to mount it without taking the D ring off for a 1922 touring 2 man top?
Attachments
IMG_5821.jpg

Topic author
ivaldes1

Re: 1922 two-man top rear strap D ring cut off?

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:46 pm

This old thread http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/229470.html has multiple pictures of the rear strap mount. None of them are like a 1922 which has the bow saddle rods straight out to the sides. The strap isn't long enough in any case to reach the rods. How are they supposed to go on? I would rather not sacrifice the ring if I can.
Attachments
IMG_5828.jpg

Russ_Furstnow
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Furstnow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1913 Touring, 1914 Runabout, 1915 Coupelet, 1916 Coupelet
MTFCA Number: 28
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 10546

Post by Russ_Furstnow » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:21 am

The straps you purchased are not made to fit the 1922 touring car. The straps with the ring fits 1911-1920 tourings and runabouts that have the "L" bracket and top saddle. For your car, a cloth strap was nailed/tacked to the top bow and then nailed/tacked to the tack strip.
I hope this helps.
Russ Furstnow

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:24 am

Thanks, since the kit did not come with that then I think I will get a small piece of leftover top strap cloth, pass it through the ring and nail 'er down.

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 pm

The rear and front straps are never sold with any of the top kits, you're supposed to buy them before you start assembling your top and you buy them from Langs. They are a web belt strap, 1 inch wide and have friction buckles, similar to what you see on web belts for pants. One end nails to the outside tack strip on the rear of the touring, the other end has the friction buckle, then the top side of the rear strap has a footman's loop which attaches to the inside the rear corner of the rear top bow, the other end goes in that friction buck and is pulled taunt, this stretches the strap webbing (2 inches wide) that goes across the bows from the rear to the front about 16 inches from the center of the bows on both sides and makes for a really firm surface for the top deck to be fitted to. DONT USE TOP MATERIAL FOR THOSE REAR STRAPS! They will not hold, it'll tear and then your top will be compromised. Buy the correct straps from Langs and do it right the first time, because if you do what you just said you'd do, you'll be take the top apart to re-do it and then it'll be harder to reposition the top deck and curtain because they're already trimmed.

Rear Straps, notice they come with those bloody useless "D" rings? Just cut them off, that's what I did and don't worry about the bloody rivets showing.
RearWebStraps.jpg
RearWebStrapBuckle.jpg
7831SWB

This is what I did, notice that I cut the strap high up near the rivets, used that portion of the strap to nail it to my tack rail. But if you remove those rivets, you run the risk of the webbing fraying. This worked for me and I didn't have to worry overmuch about any fraying.
RearStrapNailing.jpg

The Front Straps
FrontWebStraps.jpg
FrictionBuckleHooks.jpg
FrictionBuckleHooks.jpg (21.37 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
3314WS

Now these aren't cheap, they're about $53 and change for the rear strap pair and about $85 and change for the front pair from Lang's, but they're better than using leather or scrap top fabric and correct for your car too.
Fun never quits!

VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:11 pm

Remember, if you're ever planning on re-doing your seats...do them FIRST! At least the rear one. Because once the tops up and done, you won't be able to install the rear seat back without taking the rear curtain and straps apart.
Fun never quits!

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 pm

My 21 top done some 50 years ago has the footman loops on both top and bottom.

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Ignacio, I am the one who makes the cotton web strap sets that Martin showed you, and which Lang's and Snyder's carry. As he and Russ have pointed out, the set with the D rings was used 1915-21 on cars that used the L-irons to hold the top rest saddles. On your '22, the bottom strap has no D ring but is nailed directly to the belt rail or tack strip on the rear seat back. Send me a PM and I will build you a set for your car.

rvmodelt@netsync.net

VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 pm

jsaylor wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 pm
My 21 top done some 50 years ago has the footman loops on both top and bottom.
Yes, but your touring is a 21, not a 22 and 22's body is a whole different animal (3 piece tub) from that of the previous cars (5 piece tubs)...he has no "L" bracket on which to hook that bloody "D" ring and trying to get a strap long enough to hook over the saddle rests iron which comes out of the side of the quarter panel about 7 inches below the corner of the rear seat tack rail would put undue stress on the rear bow and it will stick out from the body so that no side curtain will ever fit either.

22's top saddle rests arm is mounted on the same "S" structure iron that the rear fender is mounted to directly in line and below the top saddle rest iron, which is just a shorted straight rod with a threaded end, because the 22's body is built the same as a 23-25. It was just at the beginning of 22 Ford didn't have the 1 man top completed for one reason or other, so the first 4 or 5 months (if that) of production came out with 2 man tops, so early 1922 is the last of the 2 man tops (and to my mind) the iconic look of the Model T Ford as well.

On your car that strap would work, on Ignacio's no, never will and he should take that strap and sell it at some swap meet for what he paid for it.

Ignacio, take R.V. Anderson up on his very kind offer, then your rear straps will fit like they're supposed to, rather than making them fit the car like I did. ;)
Fun never quits!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic