Heat insulation?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TspokeMan
First Name: David
Last Name: Heiser
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Pickup Roadster

Heat insulation?

Post by TspokeMan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:36 pm

Is anyone using a heat insulation product such as Dynamat to insulate the underside of the floor boards? Does is make any sense to do so?

modernbeat
First Name: Jason
Last Name: McDaniel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Roadster / 1926 Pickup / 1926 Express-Camper
MTFCA Number: 50306
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Heat insulation?

Post by modernbeat » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:59 pm

If you are thinking of preventing exhaust heat coming through the floor, what you really want is a double layer of embossed aluminum heat shield under the floor. Don't use the stuff with a layer of fiberglass in it, as it can soak up oil and become a fire hazzard. Use the plain metal sheets, and double it up to create an air-gap. It's easy to find on ebay.

Adding shielding inside the car doesn't prevent the capacitive effect of heat soaking the floor.
Jason McDaniel

Topic author
TspokeMan
First Name: David
Last Name: Heiser
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Pickup Roadster

Post by TspokeMan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:02 pm

Good thoughts on the aluminum heat shield. Did you use screws to attach it to the plywood?

modernbeat
First Name: Jason
Last Name: McDaniel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Roadster / 1926 Pickup / 1926 Express-Camper
MTFCA Number: 50306

Post by modernbeat » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:18 pm

I haven't used it on a Model T yet, but I will use screws and keep in mind that the boards will need to be removed. So I'd install it in overlapping sections so the boards aren't all fastened together.

I have used it (and about a dozen other types of heat shield products) in my day job of building racecars.
Jason McDaniel

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:31 pm

What heat source are you trying to block off? Engine, exhaust, other ??? It will only make sense if the solution provides more comfort than it costs.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:14 pm

I've used this quarter inch roll insulation between the floor mat and floor boards. Seems to block heat, fumes and noise. It's inexpensive, cut with scissors to fit. If you like, you can spray the aluminium black where it shows around the pedals and starter button.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-1 ... /100012574

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Would a solid insulator work? I use an item called Hardy Backer when I am using a torch for soldering jewelry.
I took an acetylene cutting torch to some one time to see if it would burn or break down, it did not. After having a butane torch against it many times I will develop surface cracks but that would be a lot higher temperature (1300 to 1400 degrees) than what you would have coming off a model t exhaust system..
I get it at Lowe's for less than $20 a sheet. It is quarter inch thick and I think 3x5 feet in size..it is marked on one side in 1 inch squares and can be cut with a hand saw. To attach it I would drill holes in it and use a body washer on the screws attaching it for more support. It is designed to use as a backer under floor tile. Tile shops should handle it also.
It does not let heat thru as I use it on a glass top table when I silver solder.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic