what would you do ?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mel King
First Name: Melvin
Last Name: King

what would you do ?

Post by Mel King » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:54 pm

I have a 7 -18 -15 block that has 1/4-1/4 chip at the top of a bore and the machine shop said they could not fix it . It also has a crack about 2inches above the cam going across the timing valley about 3 inches long. Other than above it is rather basic machining . One thing I do not get is it is stamped mid 17. Any ideas? :?

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: what would you do ?

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Blocks are not hard to come by...just sayin.

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:10 pm

If you put a heat gun on that crack you can watch it open and close, I'd find another block.

Andy

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:20 pm

There were a lot of backwoods fixes over the last hundred years and they did not have the things available that we do today. Myself , I learned a lot of things from my dad as he came thru the depression and he made do with what he had.
I think of some weird ideas at times and here is one.
I would think about using JB weld onthe chip and be sure to rebuild it as it shrinks, then file the top Down and carefully dress the cylinder side possibly with a needle file. Then hone the cylinders a little and reassemble with used pistons and used rings, even a used head gasket. As for the crack, drill both ends and find a way to grind it out a little and possibly some drill holes in it. Thenwash it down good with brakeclean and jb weld it.
You can assemble the engine without a mag coil ring and put it on a stand and test run it for a while using a battery to fire the coils. You can check it for water in the oil and to see if the crack Hsu changed or leaked. Pull the head and look at the repair and see what it looks like..
This may sound related crude and may not work but then again it might work. You will be out your time, a small amount of money for JB weld, brakeclean and some silicone for gasket material but you might have fun trying.
If you are going to use this engine for lots of driving, I would find another block. If it works you can then decide if you want to put more into it.
By now everyone thinks I have a couple of loose rods but its fun sitting around trying to think up possible fixes for some of the things that come up on the forum.
Best of luck with your project.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Post picture of the chip and the area that is cracked- you will get much better feedback.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic