Passenger Side B Pillar Replacement/'27 M/T Coupe

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
daveclause
First Name: D
Last Name: R
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2004

Passenger Side B Pillar Replacement/'27 M/T Coupe

Post by daveclause » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:52 pm

Hello, All

I am going to be replacing the passenger side B Pillar on my 1927 Model T Coupe and have never done one before.

Has anyone had to replace a B pillar on their coupe? I would like to know if it is easy and straight forward or if it should not be attempted.

Pictures of the process would be a great help .

Thanks again
Dave

Topic author
daveclause

Re: Passenger Side B Pillar Replacement/'27 M/T Coupe

Post by daveclause » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:04 am

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Dave: No direct experience working on this type of repair on my '26 coupe, but if I needed to do this, I'd try to determine from and driver side what needs to happen to change out the other side. I assume your passenger side is badly damaged, rusted out otherwise un-repairable? I expect finding just that part in usable condition will be difficult, hopefully you find one.

There is a gentleman named Vern from New Orleans who posts here occasionally, and I continue to be amazed at his tenacity and skill in restoring a badly rusted 26 coupe. He has posted photos of replacement body parts he fabricated and installed that are very impressive. Might be worth your time to look up some of his posts and maybe message him. Good luck in your project, jb

Topic author
daveclause

Post by daveclause » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:17 am

Thanks, JB

True with what you said. Did it. Just want to see it before I do it.

Your post is greatly appreciated.

Dave

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:41 am

Dave: 'Did it' as in swapped the B-pillar? or checked out the construction of the other side? My '26 is a naked body and I did some checking the pillar assembly if this helps. If you have already replaced the pillar, congratulations! (and read no further)

The pillar structure is a U-shaped channel with a filler strip in the open (front) side that reinforces the channel and contains the door bumper and latch plate. Removing that filler strip should enable you to see exactly what is needed to remove and replace the pillar channel. On my coupe there are 4 slotted head machine screws in the face of the strip and another 3 in the side of the channel that secure the filler strip to the pillar. It appears all 7 screws engage captive nuts inside the pillar cavity. Getting that facer strip off might be challenging in itself, but if you can remove it you will definitely be able to see everything involved with removing/installing the pillar channel.

The pillar channel is joined to the roof rail by 2 rivets, joined to the body side frame below the side window by 2 rivets and to the lower body frame rail by the door threshold with two bolts. The exterior body skin 'wraps' rearward over the edge of the pillar at the door opening and is hidden by the filler strip. I suspect that folded back sheet metal edge is spot welded to the pillar. The sheet metal window frame that holds the coupe side window is definitely spot welded to the B-pillar channel.

Hope all goes well, jb

Topic author
daveclause

Post by daveclause » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:41 pm

JAB

.Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that I checked the other side pillar.
It looks pretty straight forward but I like to make sure of things before I tear into doing anything, especially on the older model cars.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dave

Topic author
daveclause

Post by daveclause » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:15 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic