Triple gear weight

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
mike zahorik
First Name: mike
Last Name: zahorik

Triple gear weight

Post by mike zahorik » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:04 pm

I have my 1926 TuDor engine out of the car for an inspection and I decided to check the weight of the triple gears and maybe equalize them. Here are their weights

#1 1.037 Kg
#2 1.029 Kg
#3 1.034 Kg

OK, so I would have to remove 8 grams from #1 and 5 grams from #3. This doesn't sound like much, until I figured out how much cast iron has to be removed. Maybe I made a mistake but here are my calculations.

Cast Iron has a density of about 7.3 grams/cubic centimeter. That means I have to remove a little more than one cubic centimeter from #1. 1 cubic Centimeter equals about 0.061 cubic inches, again doesn't sound like much. But here is the kicker. If I drilled a 1/4" hole 1/4" deep (assuming a square bottom) that amounts to

(0.25/2)squared * 3.14 * 0.25 Diameter divided by 2 squared, times pi, times depth
This equals about 0.012 cubic inches. So I would need to drill 5 holes like this to remove 8 grams of cast iron. OR two 1/4" holes more than 1/2 inch deep. This sounds like too much to me. Am I doing this correctly? Thanks Mike

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Triple gear weight

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Mike

they aren't cast iron, and unless you're using carbide drills, you won't be drilling them
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
mike zahorik

Post by mike zahorik » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:23 pm

I realize that to remove material from the triple gears, you should chuck them up in a lathe and take material out of the low area. I'm just trying to visualize how much material has to be removed. Mike

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:37 pm

You'll have difficulty removing that much weight. Triple gears came in different weights. I'd guess yours are a mix from different cars to be off that much. Most I've seen is 3 grams variation.

Topic author
mike zahorik

Post by mike zahorik » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:44 pm

I would not doubt that. Maybe I can find a couple of gears that are closer to the same weight, but then I have to horse around with the bushing fit. Mike

Kohnke Rebabbitting
First Name: Herman
Last Name: Kohnke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Roadster, 1922 Coupe

Post by Kohnke Rebabbitting » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:40 pm

We either would take the two down by removing metal from the two heaviest, or adding weight, by wire welding, filling the two holes, to the two lightest. Easy.

Herm.

Topic author
mike zahorik

Post by mike zahorik » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Well, OK I'm going to approach this from another angle. I'm wondering about the rotational balance of my engine. So I dragged out the grinding wheel balancer, assembled the crankshaft, flywheel with magnets on it, the input shaft and the triple gears in their proper positions. Then set it on the balancer.
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
After a few spins I found a consistent heavy spot. I then used a 7 gram stick on wheel weight on the opposite side of the heavy spot. Now don't cry the sky is falling, the Martians are invading or some other nation emergency, I'm not installing it with this weight. I'm just looking to see if I can figure ot how out of balance my engine is. You can see the weight as the gray square on the edge of the flywheel. Obviously, I do not have the drums and clutch attached, which is a good amount of weight, but how far out of balance could it be? For that matter is 7 grams out of balance A LOT? I have no feel for what is bad, or so-so or even OK, Mike

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:29 pm

I always balance them to within .5 grams. You can take 8 grams off- a good place is the shoulders on the edge of the counterbore on the bushing flange side. You can also turn material off the rear side on the flat face. Next resort is drilling equally spaced holes. Yea, some of them can be kinda hard , but not impossible.

J and M Machine
First Name: John
Last Name: Gulbankian

Post by J and M Machine » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Trying to balance it the way you are is a bit difficult.
If you have someone that can spin balance the flywheel you'll be in a lot better place.
Then you can contemplate machining weight of the triple gears.
IMG_3530.JPG

Topic author
mike zahorik

Post by mike zahorik » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 pm

What do you think is a fair charge for a balance like that? Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic