How much time have you got ??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

How much time have you got ??

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:22 pm

A post today to the topic "Tell me why I should buy a Model T" provided a good quiz for a prospective buyer. It occurred to me perhaps another question might have been added, to wit, "How much time have you got to 'tinker', and to drive a Model T (at 30mph) ?" What do our members think about the amount of time they spend, or have available to drive their Model Ts, and tinker with them ?

Problem I'm encountering as I grow ever younger, I run out of gas before the Model T does. Maybe too many interests ? It's hard for me to find enough time (while I have enough energy to enjoy it) to run my tiny "ranch", take care of critters, keep a ride on three saddle horses, maintain "Lizzy", and just plain drive her. I had a bunch of things planned to do on Lizzie through the winter, not half of them got done, so I'm driving her anyway "as is". Drives are almost always around the place to check on irrigation, and up to the lateral to keep a stream in the ditch, trips to the co-op for feed . . . not much "pleasure driving" ! How about youse guys ??
"Get a horse !"

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: How much time have you got ??

Post by Susanne » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm

I did that, got involved in about a dozen different activities from clubs to radio to church to, well, all sorts of diverse activities, on top of a job that had me commuting 4 hours a day, so I started pruning things back... The bike sat, Angel became neglected, I was trying to be all to everything, and doing a rather poor job of any of it. Add to that, I was all work work work.

I finally decided enough was enough, started dropping some of the stuff that I "didn't cherish" (to steel a phrase from Marie Kondo's book), it was difficult, it was (at times) a little sad and maybe brutal, but I found that that which survived this pruning meant a LOT more to me than some of the surface stuff I thought I liked but realized was draining my time, talent, and ability to do the things I TRULY enjoyed. And as that carried forward, I find that I have more time to do the things I love, and not piddle it away on stuff that I *thought* was important but was not... and as this process continues to unfold, I find that the time I spend on things, even IF it's going to town at 30 MPH, is a LOT more precious than hurrying from appointment to appointment, disaster to disaster, and whim to whim.

Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Very well said!

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 pm

When you drive a Model T I hope your life slows down and you begin to see what is out there. Stop and smell the roses, and look at all the trees in the forest. Life speeds up too fast and you forget to slow down.

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Life slows down?
Attachments
20190609_081524.jpg
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Question of mankind over the ages.... :P :lol:
Attachments
IMG_4206.JPG
IMG_4206.JPG (72.52 KiB) Viewed 8156 times

Victor Borg
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Borg
MTFCA Number: 35213

Post by Victor Borg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 pm

when I don't have enough time to fiddle with/repair/drive and just stand back and admire the wonders of my wife's 1927 touring (named DAISY) and do all the gottado's and should do's and better do's,I just let everything but DAISYtime take a back seat to what is important...DAISY.that's just me.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Not everything that needs doing gets done. There are projects I probably won't ever finish. But being a retired person of the elderly persuasion does afford me the luxury of a schedule so flexible that it's hardly any schedule at all. If I want to go Model T camping for a few days or weeks, I go. After decades of having to be at a certain place at a certain time every day, this is absolutely delicious.

IMG_1925 copy.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:07 am

As the years add up we hopefully realize that it's not important how many things we do, but rather that we do the things we enjoy doing. Old cars (and our other joys) keep us focused on the things that matter.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 am

I've thought about it and decided that odds are I won't live long enough to put enough miles on our '21 Touring to wear out the newly rebuilt engine. It lasted 95+ years the first time so next time it needs an overhaul my grandson will be in charge. 8-)

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 am

Lots of times it comes down to priorities. For some folks Model T's are the passion of their lives. For me its more of an interest. If I have wood to cut, house chores to accomplish, or other obligations, I don't feel bad if the Model T stays in the garage. I have one driver and another "project" car. The project car is the lowest priority right now. I do pieces of it when there's time and funds. I'd like to completely re-do the body of my driver, but that's not in the cards at the moment either. Like Steve, I'm retired but for some reason seem busier than when I was working 50 hours a week. Still trying to figure that one out.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:06 am

I've mentioned 'Old Joe' before. 85 years old he is doing an estate appraisal and finds a '27 where everything is done and all it needs is paint and upholstery...so he made an offer and they accepted. He then needed to get it home, and started, and taught how to drive. He was really enthusiastic as he had never had an old car...yet some old cars were his contemporaries :)

Got it running, I suffered through his eventual choice of color which was really off, struggled when he had Elizabeth make him an interior kit with some mohair fabric from a big 30's car, but seriously it was a fun car to drive and it purred.

He never quite got use to the idea of 'tinker'...he expected to jump in, press the starter, and 'go', 100% of the time, at any time. I'd work overseas 3/4 of the time but usually had July, August, and some part of September in a work from home situation and during the home time I'd get one or two calls a week. Not calls to come out and play but this didn't work and that didn't work and always I'd jump right on it (he only lived 2 miles away), or, he'd show up in the morning wanting to borrow a tool or scrounge through my stash since he managed to break something on his own. I kept trying to teach 'tinker'...even tried to say "And when you stop over am I usually tinkering on my own cars?" but we were what we were.

Then one day he got upset with me...I was at work on the other side of the world and his car was dead as a doornail when he went to use it for an ice cream run with friends. He tried, a local mechanic tried, but...it sat until I was back home. (It was a failed mechanical cutout).

Then one day we are out for a ride in his car and he asks if I want to buy it...he doesn't tinker and it obviously needs constant tinkering. I was half interested until he dropped the price on me and he wanted top dollar for it---with the wrong paint color, and with a spiffy interior that was installed flawlessly but looks like it belongs on a couplet or town car, so my answer was no thanks (He consigned it with a 'reseller' and wow...got his price!)

The point is, T's need tinker...it's not a guy thing excuse for the wife benefit. Also, a quirk of the T is that when you do find something that makes the car unserviceable, it's not that hard to 'fix' but by the time you're done you have 'fixed' maybe 3 things :)

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:39 am

I get ya Rich! I enjoyed reaching "my goal" of having 4 Ts, ended up with 5 along with the Model A, then quickly realized I was a slave to maintenance, etc. not to mention a drain on the ol' budget. So I "downsized" down to "just two" Ts and am plenny happy! Last year was short on driving a bit due to certain distractions, but this year is off and running big time! Puttin many a mile on Clarabelle ('13) and Stanley ('25) but for Clara I won't know how much now that her speedo took a crap on me on the first day of the Homecoming two day tour! Been out driving at least 3 days a week, and this Fri. some of us lucky fellers and our wives/ significant others will take a nice afternoon tour to a great mom and pop restaurant for lunch. It'll be fun! So hope you can slow down the ranch a bit and speed up ol' Liz!!

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm

I thought you were asking if I knew how much time I had left before I died.
I can say is that I have less time than I had before I began reading this thread.

On the other hand as many have said - it depends upon priorities, the things you enjoy doing, and how much money you have.
Our T and A are part of our family -they were my dad’s and I drove them both when in high school.
I am hoping that one of our kids feels the same but until then they will be used and enjoyed between major honey dew projects, work, family, and sleeping. Also eating and tasting wine... :D
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:15 pm

"less time than I had before I began reading this thread" I had to laugh Fred.
As with many of the philosophical questions that appear here if I take much time to think about them I might not get anything done. There are many reasons why we should or shouldn't or can't help but not do things.
Justifying activities per time, cost, is it really what I want is only a guess in the first place. How many times do we tear something apart thinking it will go back together tomorrow or next week and suddenly 5 years later it is still waiting for something? If I knew how long a car, painting or parts would really take most wouldn't ever get started. The success and joy is often just jumping into it and seeing where it will take you. That is impulsive I guess.
I got into this hobby in 1962 and have been obsessed ever since. Had I spent the time studying my homework or finding a good career I might have made something of myself. However, the investment in learning about cars and meeting others of the same interest turned out pretty darn good for me. So many skills payed off in my employment. All in all things turned out pretty good.
My point is, do what seems right at the time and follow your dreams. If it happens to be model T's or other cars all the better. Don't try to over analyze things unless that is what you like to do best.
Rich
When did I do that?

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866

Post by KeithG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Well said, Rich.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:18 pm

I find my T’s are on the back burner this year Rich. I did get a good day tinkering with the 18 a few weeks ago as the ignition had gone completely dead over the winter and as I worked on other things here and thought about it today, maybe I’ll just rewire him to use the “newer” 6 Volt battery for starting ignition as should be. Instead of the 12 Volt little battery (with 13 yet questionable Volts) under the seat that was there first before I considered the fancy and new to me “electric starting”. Along with Maw asking why I haven’t had the new T out yet this year. Oh boy... Crap, it's a 23 engine in the 18. The 24 is sitting in back with steel tractor wheels around it for my “I gotta get at all that too" list like Lucky the TT but I DID get the rear rims powder coated if I have the 600 bucks for tires at the end of the year after other projects. I don’t think I will but next year he’s IN! :twisted: Super twisted part: I have the dough but Maw don't like...
The motor grader is mad at me with fuel pressure issues, the skid loader needs a new gas tank, we just cut trees down that we’re cleaning up and this gaggle of Twin City tractors need attention($) too. And Maw stating “I just wish they ran.” Double oh boy. I need to start and move the one that does I guess.
I’m also trying to retire from some other jobs kind of like Susanne but I guess that isn’t in my cards yet.
Too many interests too. :)
Wait a minute. I’m as busy as my body allows, working about 6 hours a day yet and as we hear, life is going to get busier after I retire? Oh crap. :lol: Bring it on.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 am

I work all the dang time...so my T time is minimal....usually I get some time on the weekends.

If all goes as I have it planned, I'll be able to quit working a traditional job at age 59. That'll give me much more time to play cars.
1924 Touring

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:12 pm

I relate well to the first two posts. I too became involved in too many diverse hobbies. I simply couldn't dedicate enough time to any to become really proficient in them. About 10 years ago I started lightening the load, and have shed several hobbies that I liked, but didn't love. The horses are gone (at ages 36 and 24), I have become inactive in ham radio - I didn't really want to erect a tower here in the thunderstorm capital of the USA, so the equipment is in boxes; good film is becoming harder to get, and so the Nikon film cameras are with the ham gear. My collection of magazines have long been recycled; when I read one I throw it away - except for VINTAGE FORD. I'm still interested in cars, so the T will stay along with my hot rod, which is not a T nor is it Ford-based or powered. Now all I need is an air-conditioned garage.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Amen to the air conditioned garage John. And I live in MN. :) Stole the unit in the Cozy Little Shop for "the office" as it's the same and gotta cut the hole an inch bigger out in the little shop for a different one.
Don, kinda in the same boat. Kind of. My WIFE won't let me retire until 59 (4 years to go) but DO love my job now, helping an old company grow above the competitor down the road where I spent 28 years. I'll see where the next 10 takes me. :)
Worked on an OT tonight and had good progress.
That means the 18 Runabout is closer on the "fix it list". Yesss! I even like the Toodles With Maw. ;)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 am

Time off is good too. This year a yard project has kept me away from the car work. I am not in the middle of a vehicle task so it is easy to do some of the chores around the house. 90% of the time I have projects that require focus and continuity. It is frustrating to leave the endeavor to do these.
The months of illnesses also forestall progress we deem important. I find it helps to see what folks are doing on the Forum to keep T's in mind.
The most important thing is to find a balance that works for you and your family.
Rich
When did I do that?

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Currently, my "spare" time consists of me ripping out the tile floor in my house with a hammer drill.

Frustratingly, my T engine is finished and sitting in the bed of my F100....waiting to be installed....afterwhich I'll have the running/driving T that I've been striving for, for two and half years.

I told my wife that come hell or high water (both often occur simultaneously in Houston in the summertime), I'm taking Saturday to work on the T.
1924 Touring

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 pm

I’m still trying to work on the 09, more of that later, but customers keep interrupting. So far this year I have done serious work on a 1911 Touring, 22 Centerdor, two 14 tourings and a speedster. In addition I’ve been on two week long tours. Well in the next five months I plan on going to Billings and Yellowstone, a three week trip to England to visit relatives and a week in Texas for the USGP in Austin. So I reluctantly have closed the shop until November. This way I can make some progress on the 09 and get ready for my trips. I’m 80 this year and during the last two years have lost my two best friends who were both younger than me, a real wake up call. Now I treat each New Year as my last. I plan it out in January and go for it. I suppose (know) at some point a medical issue will over ride my plans though I notice that my quarterly trip to the dump now covers two days while I use to do it all on a Saturday morning. I feel as if I stop, stopping will take over, so I keep moving, admittedly slower.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:25 am

Part of the problem is an increasing poor memory, I’ve lost track how many times I’ve gone to the tool bin for a tool and forget what I went for..... In addition to the list above I also rebuilt two Ruckstell axles.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic