Ignition Issues

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Ignition Issues

Post by jagiven » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:35 am

I have been fighting my T all year so far. It is running better, but not great. I cannot set the timing to a low idle, with the throttle closed down, I need to keep the timing set past 9, or it will stall. While driving at full throttle, I can feel a little lurching maybe every 20 or so seconds, which makes me think carb. I always start on battery and run on magneto. While on battery, the car has a lot of shake, flip over to magneto, and she calms down.

What have I done so far;
• Last fall I had the points replaced and set, by a well-known individual
• Pulled the carb (26 NH) and cleaned it.
• Rebuilt the linkage for the timing rod.
- The pin was worn and the small leaver arm was loose, and I had no adjustment at the steering wheel.
• Gapped the spark plugs to 0.030 (Champion X). Visually they look good, cleaned them.
• Replaced the Anderson timer with that had 15K+ miles on it with a new Anderson.
• Checked the timing, set to 0.5” past TDC.
• Rebuilt the coil box (New plastic box kit), found the old wood box was arcing when I was setting the timing.
Next thoughts are to pull the carb again and re-clean, just incase there is something in the jet, try a different spark plug gap, maybe down to 0.025”. Considering swapping out spark plugs to a set of cheap Autolites. Pull the magneto post and check for debris on the tip.

Any suggestions :?:

Usually by this point of the summer I might have 1K miles on the car, so far maybe 50 miles ☹, still on the first tank of fuel.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Ignition Issues

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:04 am

If you have set timing at 0.5" past dead center this is your problem. You don't really mean the piston is down 1/2" when spark occurs, do you? Having to run so much advance just at idle, tells me I may be right in how I read your post...
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am

For starting on battery the timing only needs to be set so the piston is just over top dead center on it's way down. Once the car starts the lever needs to be pulled down to where it runs more smooth by sound not by a number of clicks and adjusted as you drive. Same with the spray needle, adjust by engine sound.
Where are you setting your spray needle adjustment?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks around the carb and manifold?
T's are pretty forgiving, I know guys that have been driving theirs for years and still start the car pull the spark lever down and really don't touch it much after that.
RE the spray needle, if you try to run too lean it will idle poor and can over heat esp if the timing is not advanced enough.
There are no set of hard fast rules, just general approx. suggestions on where to set things.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:49 am

Sounds like possibly a couple issues.
Start with the timing, "9 notches down to start",
doubtful you can advance far enough that way.
Then tinker with the carb and report back.

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Assuming you are timing for startup with spark lever all the way up/retarded. ? If you are not sure how to time it, Google "mtfca; timing".
Let me be a little more clear on this: "There are no set of hard fast rules, just general approx. suggestions on where to set things." I am talking about where to set the spark lever and spray needle AFTER starting.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Start on BAT with the lever all the way up (fully retarded). Set timing like this:
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG97.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
jagiven

Post by jagiven » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Steve, my technique was definitely different than yours. I just followed what the Anderson Timer paperwork said. It stated to set the spark when the cylinder was past TDC between 1/2" to 3/4". I thought it seemed like a long distance, but I will double check the paperwork, and readjust closer to 15o

I start the T on battery, with the spark fully retarded, then advance it once going.

I think I have only set the timing when I first got my T.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Need to re-read those instructions, the timer is set for initial timing of #1 cyl. when that piston is just PASS Top Dead Center. "...only after the piston is just started on the way back down after it has reached the top of its stroke" The best if you can hit it is 15 degrees past, tools can be used to do it, TRW has one, or the hint of the pin in the crank pulley, horizontal (9 - 3 o clock) is TDC, 15 degrees past is about 9:30-3:30 on the hands of a clock.

Those measures in the Tip Top Timer inst. for the Anderson are just comments on where the timing may occur at full speed, but that is advance, BEFORE the piston reaches TDC.
IMG_7597.JPG
IMG_7598.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I'd had been having similar issues like you state. After consulting with two friends with long experience with these T's They advised me on how they set their timing and it made a world of difference . When you bring your spark lever down to half way (14 notches on my quadrant) the bracket on the timer should be at the 12 o'clock position. I gave it a try. Adjusted this way as close as possible and my T loves it.(Stoked) Maybe give it try , then adjust carb as ness.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:19 pm

George

if it works for you then it works for you...

Given the differences between timer manufacturers' small differences in location of contactors, it's not advice I would give, but like I said if it works for you, it works

One of the biggest mistakes a person can make is to use the "universal" timing tool shown in Ford trade journals, and marketed by suppliers, and then try to use it on ANY timer that is not FORD. It is only a certainty to be correct with FORD timers. You simply cannot count on the contacts to be exactly the same between manufacturers, which is why I view your method to be very hazardous to stem-winders (big time) and somewhat less hazardous to starter shafts.

I believe it's plenty easy to measure piston location, or view the crank pin (which is foolproof) for 15 degrees ATDC, as I value the structural integrity of my wrist and forearm...and anectdotes like your friends espoused is also why I WILL NOT hand crank someone else's car...

please understand this is no criticism of your method...it works...but is a little dicey for someone new at this to try with a worn or unknown timer. This is one of those uti caute (use with caution) moments, I think.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:58 pm

No worries Scott. You are right with all the diff. timers out there. Not to mention all the kinds of wear along the system. I think most of these ways are all "In the ballpark" adjustments.

Topic author
jagiven

Post by jagiven » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Timed using Steve's technique. Runs well on battery. Stalls now on mag at about 5-6 notches. I did not get to road test it, due to rain. Also found it wants the fuel air mix at 1 turn. She has always want 1 1/2 turns during the summer. 1 turn during cool weather.

I did have to bend the timing rod to shorten it. I should check the timing again, as I had to adjust the rod after I reinstalled it, due to an interference.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:10 pm

I think a stall on MAG has to do with something other than how the timing is set. Switching over from BAT to MAG a car should run just as well or better. Mag post fuzz? Loose wire? Intermittent switch?

When you adjust the timer rod by bending, be sure it doesn't touch the #3 timer terminal.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:07 am

Reading the postings I get the impression you are fixating on number of clicks rather then engine sound. (?) If you are using the chart, it was published in the era of brass quadrants. They have less/larger grooves then the later pressed steel. I would suggest paying less attention to number of clicks and more to how the engine sounds. Other issues at idle are for example; float level and plugged passages. I have yet to work with an NH that didn't need a bit higher RPM at idle so maybe you are trying to idle it down too slow.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
jagiven

Post by jagiven » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:26 am

It is running better, maybe not 100% yet.

Adjusted the timing closer to 15 degrees past TDC. On battery it will accept a low slow idle. On Mag I was only able to get it to a slow idle once the engine was nice and warm.

I found;
- Coil #4 did not have as strong of a spark as the rest, so I swapped it out.
- Coil #3 while hand cranking, I could not stop and hold a long spark. I plan to swap coils to see what happens. The momentary static spark looked strong.

Potential Issue;
- Coils 2 and 4 have a strange phenomenon. While doing a static spark test with the plugs removed and a screw driver grounding the spark. If I move the screw driver to the next plug over, I can see a very small arc if I ground out that plug wire even though the spark is set on a different plug. I do not see this with coil 1, and cannot get coil #3 to hold a continuous spark, so I was not able to test it.

Overall running much better, I put it through a wide range of driving conditions on a 20 mile ride. Top speed is not as great, maybe 35 mph, in the past I have been able to get to 50 mph (I do not normally drive that fast). Very smooth at the lower speeds (25 mph, drove about 10 miles at this speed). Historically this car likes 1.5 turns on the carb, but it wants to run at 1 turn right now, so that might explain the lower top speed.

I was a bit nervous to try low idle in traffic at stop lights/signs in fear of stalling, so more testing is required. I only felt a little bit of learching at higher speed, so I will swap out coil #3. I might swap them around and then try a spare coil. I now feel as I can drive this car reliably.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic