Need 1911 Torpedo fuel tank mounting details, please

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Need 1911 Torpedo fuel tank mounting details, please

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 pm

I am looking for information on how to correctly fasten a 1911 Torpedo fuel tank to the deck. The present set-up has 5/16 carriage bolts going UP through the frame with nuts on top. This doesn't look correct to me...in fact the tank straps/feet have a square hole in them, indicating that the bolts should go DOWN through the straps. The problem is, that the bolts must be long enough to go through the structure and this makes them too long to snake past the fuel drum and get through the mounting holes. I'm stumped.

Further, the bolts have a lot of age on them and have enormous diameter heads that are unusually shallow. Almost like an elevator bolt, but these are true special-purpose carriage bolts for sure.

If anyone with such a car could supply a photo of how the tank is mounted, or a short summary of what they see, I would surely appreciate it.

Also, if you are not inclined to discuss or share photos on a public forum, I would invite you to please contact me directly.

Thank you.

scott
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured