Talking tires

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John L
First Name: John
Last Name: Leffler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Coupe, 1927 Touring
MTFCA Number: 22526

Talking tires

Post by John L » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:20 pm

I got my new tires , now I am ready to install . Should I use rim liners? Yes / No

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Talking tires

Post by Allan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:35 pm

John, it depends on the wheel they are to be mounted to. 21" wire wheels require the narrow rim liner the vendors sell. These cover any rough spoke end welds which might cause a problem. Beaded edge rims in excellent condition require no rim liner. However, most fit one to cover any roughness/rust in the rims we have. I make mine out of discarded used 13" inner tubes by cutting a 2" wide band out of the outside diameter of the tube. You could use a 20" bicycle tube to the same effect. Or, you could waste a whole lot of money on a set of flaps if you are worried about pinching the tube when fitting the tyres.

21" tyres to go on split rims on wooden spoke wheels do need a flap. This protects the tube from damage at the joint in the rim.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic