Golden Gate Tour

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Golden Gate Tour

Post by Original Smith » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Several weeks ago, you may have noticed the Golden Gate Tour. It was almost totally centered in Marin County just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Below are a few photos. I'll post more in the coming days. For anyone that missed this tour, you missed a good one. I've never used Ruckstell so much, and mostly for downhill!
Attachments
Golden Gate 6.JPG
Golden Gate 4.JPG
Golden Gate 2.JPG
Golden Gate 3.JPG
Golden Gate 1.JPG

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Re: Golden Gate Tour

Post by HaroldRJr » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Larry - Nice photos of a nice tour, and nice weather to my way of thinking, but that's because I don't get along too well with the sun, which according to the dermatologist, I should avoid whenever possible. I've been to San Francisco several times, and I don't think I've EVER seen the very top of the Golden Gate Bridge! :lol:

Your mention of Ruckstell brings to mind a very good safety point Larry, that I think might be easily overlooked by some people,...maybe especially by someone fairly new to the Model T hobby:

While I realize that anyone with any sense at all would have auxiliary brakes on their Model T if equipped with Ruckstell, however, worth considering is that Ruckstell not only gives you an advantage in climbing hills, and better compression braking when going downhill, however, Ruckstell will also give you the same mechanical advantage with more "powerful" transmission, or, "service brake" braking for downhill as well! Just a thought FWIW,..... :roll:..... harold

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:38 pm

I would have loved to been on that tour and I hope they have it again sometime since it's just up the coast from me. I just couldn't fit it in my schedule between the California Dream'n tour and the Montana 500. Thanks for posting!
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
Original Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U

Post by Original Smith » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 am

Here are some more photos:
Attachments
Golden Gate 20.JPG
Golden Gate 11.JPG
GG Bridge 2.JPG
Fort Baker.JPG
GG Bridge 1.JPG

Topic author
Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 pm

There were more Redwood trees on this tour than the Redwood Trees to Pacific Seas tour two years ago. Here are some more pictures.
Attachments
San Francisco.JPG
Golden Gate 15.JPG
From Mill Valley.JPG
Calistoga.JPG

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:33 pm

WOW, Thanks for posting! I sure hated to miss that tour and looks like a tour that certainly should be repeated as maybe even a Regional Tour some day in the near future. What a beautiful backdrop for the T's with the Golden Gate in the background!
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:42 pm

I have been up US 101 so many times, but have ignored this beautiful county. There is so much to see and do. If you like back roads they are there. If you like using Ruckstell, this is the place! I understand this is the most expensive county to live in in California. Down in the cities, it is quite congested, but once you leave, that county is full of surprises. Take Rancho Nicasio. Most people that live up there don't even know it exists! That is the photo with the church.

Topic author
Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Well, I didn't post it. So here is Rancho Nicasio!
Attachments
Nicasio 2.JPG

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Post by NorthSouth » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:09 am

-
Larry,
Thank you for posting these fantastic photographs. This sure was a special tour. We still question your reckless decent down that little, one-way 18% grade, with no shoulder. You made the rest of us look like chickens. However, that was only the first of 4 days in and around Marin County. We sure got our share of billy goat routes that week. And the most picturesque scenery imaginable. The weather had never been so favorable and our jolly group of Model T-ers was even better. We definitely need to do this tour again. There are a lot of our friends that missed it this time around. What would people say about doing it again in June, 2020?
Cheers.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Great photos Larry. Thanks for sharing. One of these days..... Do you have the small drum rear axle? I will be installing a small drum ruckstell in my 25 rpu I have AC brakes for it. Thanks again. Jw
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Topic author
Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:39 am

Yes John, I have the small drum rear axle, with big diameter Rocky Mountain drums attached. I have a Ruckstell on the left side too.

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Re: Golden Gate Tour, We are doing it again!!! June 1st - 6th, 2020

Post by NorthSouth » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:47 am

-
WE ARE DOING IT AGAIN !!!
JUNE 1ST - 6TH.

Please post you pictures and impressions from last year's tour.

Here is the new Flyer.

GOLDEN GATE TOUR 2.0 - Late Spring, 2020

Redwood Empire Model T Club --- Model T Ford Club of Southern California

Pre-Tour Cocktail Party at Steve Chase’s home, Sunday, May 31st, 5:PM, Early arrivers check into Mill Valley Travelodge that afternoon.

Day One 25 miles

Monday, June 1st - (Afternoon Tour)

From Mill Valley Travelodge: into the Marin Headlands, Golden Gate National Park, Fort Cronkhite, the Marine Mammal Center, Golden Gate Bridge Overlook, and back through Sausalito. ...and, if you dare, Larry Smith’s **optional** reckless, irresponsible, and death defying cliffside one-way 18% single lane downhill grade (with no shoulders) “suicide loop” out over the freezing and shark infested Pacific Ocean and past the radioactive(?) Nike Missile Silos. Then, a BYOB cocktail party back in motel parking lot, 5PM.

Day Two 60 miles

Tuesday, June 2nd

From Mill Valley Travelodge: to Muir Woods National Monument, Tamalpais State Park ridgeline, Bolinas, Stinson Beach Picnic, and the Shoreline Scenic Highway.

Day Three 50 miles

Wednesday, June 3rd

From Mill Valley Travelodge: to Sausalito Houseboats, the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco Presidio National Park, Crissy Field, Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco Marina, Maritime Tallship National Park, Lunch at Fisherman’s Wharf, Fort Point under the Golden Gate Bridge, and on to Fort Baker. Bayside cocktails at the Trident Pier Restaurant in Sausalito.

...NOTE; This day 3 we will only be on Hwy 101 for the 1.5 mile span of the Golden Gate Bridge. We access it from a backroad at its northern spire and exit immediately onto the backroads of the Presidio Army Base at its southern spire. We will be exclusively in the right lane start to finish. The speed limit on the GG Bridge is 45 MPH. Our route while in San Francisco has been designed to avoid hills, traffic, and stop lights. This crossing was a highlight of last year’s Golden Gate Tour.

Day Four 85 miles

Thursday, June 4th, ...Lee Chase’s (MTFCA member #29) birthday.

From Mill Valley Travelodge: north through Marin County’s inland grasslands, Stubbs Winery, to the Sandman Motel in Santa Rosa for a two night stay.

Day Five 50 miles

Friday, June 5th

From Sandman Motel, Santa Rosa: a loop through Sonoma County’s Alexander Valley “to be described by Redwood Empire Model T Club”. Final Banquet (one night early) at the Cattleman's Restaurant, 5:30:PM

Day Six 100 miles

Saturday, June 6th

From the Sandman Motel, Santa Rosa: west to Bodega Bay, a Drakes Beach Beach or Marconi Center picnic, Tomales Bay, Point Reyes Station, Rancho Nicasio lunch, and back to the Mill Valley Travelodge to retrieve trailers. If needed, we have rooms blocked there for this night too.

Steven Chase, REMTC, MTFCSC Debbie Francis, MTFCSC

Sausalito, CA. Los Angeles, CA.

(323) 497-0601

NewNorthSouth@Gmail.Com dd1276@yahoo.com

To have one of these 25 spots held for you, please mail your $400.00 Golden Gate Tour 2.0 deposit to the MTFCSC 15333 Campoillos Rd., Mirada, CA. 90638. Make, it payable to Debbie Francis/ GG Tour. This deposit covers two night’s stay in Santa Rosa and a $50.00 per person tour fee (based upon 2 people in your Model T). This money becomes non refundable March 1, 2020 unless someone from a waiting list takes your place.
Attachments
Flyer.pdf
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 84 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic