Starter Motor Brush Contact

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Starter Motor Brush Contact

Post by Alan Long » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:06 am

Hi Gents, I'm just assembling two Starter Motors and I may have an issue with the "5106" Bronze Bush.
When the Armature is fitted and in full contact with the bush face,the very end of all 4 Brushes are not contacting the Commutator.
Its only a small portion of the brushes that isn't in contact and it would appear that a light skim of the bush thrust face is required to move
the Armature deeper into the Brush Holder. It just doesn't look correct!

Having two starters to assemble, installing the other Armature has the same condition but marginally worse indicating there are differences
in the machined shoulder on the Armature too. All of the old Brushes show wear marks of full width contact with the commutator. I'm certain that the 5106 Bush is installed correctly and sitting square in the holder

I plan to install the other end cover to check the end float as maybe a clue is there too? (binding up)

What is the end float specification of the Armature? Should I aim for Zero End Float / Zero Pre load or is that a bit tight?

Your thoughts and experiences??

Thank you. Alan

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Starter Motor Brush Contact

Post by jab35 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:53 am

Alan: Here's a good video on the subject from Mike Bender, end-play is discussed around the 31 minute mark. All the best, jb

http://modelt-tips.com/Electrical/02.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic