Light bulb question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

Light bulb question

Post by modeltbarn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:09 am

Does anybody know what 6v bulb the old Do-Ray clearance lights used? These are sort of a beehive style light. Also what would be a 12v with the same base?
Attachments
DoRay.jpg

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Light bulb question

Post by DanTreace » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:09 pm

For 6v. use the std. #63 bulb, 3 c.p., 0.6 amps. found in most auto stores. A bit brighter, with same bulb globe size is a 6v. #81, 6 c.p., 1.05 amps., but harder to find.

These #63, #81 and #87 now are also known with the newer description 'BA15s' lamps, meaning bayonet base, single contact, std pins. (not offset pins)

As for 12v, don't know that number, but a counter parts guy will find you a match BA15s.

I bought a supply of the old time brighter 6v. #81 from the buggy shop, Witmer Coach, New Holland PA. Fun catalog of horse buggy parts, but carries hardware stuff and at least a few years ago full selection of old time automotive bulbs. Also have gotten from them 6v. #87, 15 c.p., 1.91 amps.good for spot or ditch lamps mounted on your windshield post. :)
IMG_0883 (800x600).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

Post by modeltbarn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:26 am

Thank you Dan! That's exactly what I was looking for!

I plan on using these for turn signals and prefer to stay 6v. I would consider LED replacement bulbs but have heard finding 6v LEDs can be a problem, and that you need to use a solid state flasher and that too can be a problem.

I am using this on an early car that runs on magneto, no generator. I do have a starter in the car with a 6v battery. I know I can use resistors with the LED bulbs but I am not sure if there is any reduction in power use if I use resistors. If I stay with conventional bulbs what candle power do you recommend? Any recommendations on flashers? If I go 12v LEDs I will use a small sealed battery. My only reason for considering 12v LEDs is I am concerned with battery life; do you know if that is a real concern? I have a full size 6v Optima battery.

I had a catalog for Witmer's at one time but haven't been able to find it. So you have their contact information?

Any input and ideas for installing flashers is greatly appreciated! I've avoided this modification for years but have finally given in due to safety reasons.

I have found a Yankee 960 flasher switch from the 40's.... it will still look like a modern addition, but I think the old switch and the glass beehive style lamps will at least look like something added many years ago.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Gary

Can't really help on flashers, haven't added those before. I just use the bicycle remote style lamp, wireless control on the steering wheel, pen size replaceable battery, the lamp mounts on the tire carrier, you see these type chevron flashers on bicycles all the time. Use that PLUS hand signals!

Witmer Coach, ph 717.656.3411 7am to 5pm, closed Sundays and Religious Holidays.

For the small globe bulb, the 6v. #87 is what I use for stop lamps at the underside of the wood bed on the '23 cutdown. Use similar housing with red glass lens as those Do-Ray. Pretty bright 12watt, 15 c.p.

As most flashers use the brake lights, the #87 should be ok.

Twin brake lamps using Do-Ray style old metal clearance lamp housings, with red glass lens. The small #87 fit good, the globe size didn't hit the inside of the cone lens.
Nellie brake lite.JPG

Fairly bright for 6v 15cp.
IMG_7744.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic