Which One Is Correct, OR...Are They Both??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2011

Which One Is Correct, OR...Are They Both??

Post by Bill Everett » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:15 pm

The pinstriped front axle is on my '11 Touring. Note how there are no holes for pop-in oilers, AND how the bottom leaf IS tapered.

The other pictures are of an axle I bought a couple of years ago. It has holes for the pop-in oilers, AND the bottom leaf is NOT tapered.

I'm building a '12; should I buy a new axle just like the one on my '11, or is the used one accurate?
Attachments
Model T Front Spring Mark Chaffin-2.jpg
Model T Front Spring Mark Chaffin-1.jpg
Model T Front taper leaf spring Frederick.jpg
model t front taper leaf spring Frederick-1.jpg

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Which One Is Correct, OR...Are They Both??

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Screen shot 2019-07-29 at 1.52.39 PM.png
I believe "clipped-left" is a typo that should read "clipped leaf".
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bill Everett » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Thank you, Steve.

I want to prevent "Analysis Leads to Paralysis" on this project!!

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100

Post by Hap_Tucker » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:37 pm

Bill,
Your comment about wanting to avoid “Analysis Leads to Paralysis” may mean you can skip the comments below. The front spring you show should function fine.

Additional details:

If you want to put your 1912 back as reasonably accurate to the way it came out of the assembly building (not an assembly line yet), I would highly recommend you obtain a copy of the MTFCI Model T Judging Guidelines (7th edition is still the current one - but if someone reads this later, be sure to purchase the current version). They are available from the MTFCI at: https://model-t-ford-club-international ... th-edition for $49.95 (does NOT include shipping) as well as from some of the vendors such as Lang's see: https://www.modeltford.com/item/JG1.aspx It has 8 pages on specific details on the 1912 USA Ts as well as a page and half on the Canadian 1912 T's. (Once the TT was introduced, they include information on them as well -- i.e. 1918 TT section is just over half a page.)
You wrote: I'm building a '12; should I buy a new axle just like the one on my '11, or is the used one accurate? If you really mean Front Axle -- you did not show us a photo of the used one, or I need to drink some more coffee because I missed it. And the photo of the front axle on your 1911 (with the pin striping) does not show if it is an early 1911 with only room for the one piece spindles or if it is the later 1911 that used the two piece spindles. If it is the front axle for the two piece spindle and if it does NOT have Ford script on it and would likely have TW or DB as a forging mark.

I suspect you are actually talking about the front spring which you showed the pictures. In that case Steve's information from Bruce's Encyclopedia is very helpful. Note the 7th edition judging guidelines indicate the front spring would use the rivetted style clip through 1913 and the bolt on clip in 1914. (Hap’s comment -- there may have been exceptions based on suppliers and/or the time period the springs were supplied. I don’t have time to check 1912 photos of new T’s but they could give you documentation if one shows the bolt on front spring used in 1912. Or support the information in the Guidelines if they all show the rivetted type spring shackle.) Also note that the MTFCI has an update area for changes to the 7th edition. I did not check there to see if any changes are noted.

Finally, on the photos of your 1911 – the spring perches left and right appear to be different and NOT a mirror image? Is that just the camera angle or does the passenger side have a vertical upright area at the top that the driver's side does not have?

Good luck with your restoration.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:51 am

Bill, the main leaf with the holes for the oilers, is used with the later shackles which do NOT have the brass oilers on each piece. Your car, and the later ones with the figure 8 shackles should not have holes at the spring eyes.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:09 am

Those two styles of front springs were used at the same time by Ford. Usually the second leaf up had a squared end.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic