1909 Fan hub repair

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23136
Board Member Since: 2005

1909 Fan hub repair

Post by ChrisB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 pm

This is the fan hub on our 1909 Roadster.

Is that center section soldered in there?

Need ideas for repair please.

Thanks
Chris
Attachments
1909 Fan hub
1909 Fan hub
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Re: 1909 Fan hub repair

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Chris

it IS soldered in...
another thing...I've found that the machining was quick and dirty on the brass hub fans, and seems to have been done AFTER the rear bushing was soldered in. I always matchmark the hub and the bushing so that it goes in EXACTLY the way it came out. Sometimes they are darn off-center when assembled and then machined to perfect concentricity. You frequently find rough brass casting that is barely cleaned up due to core shift, inside the hub, or not cleaned up at all in one spot on the receiving cavity where the rear bushing was installed.

Now, I am not describing factory methods and won't attempt to defend the above. It is simply what I have found and have never been sorry that I took the time to match-mark the parts prior to disassembly.

Steel-hub fans are a different story. They seem happy to just have concentric bushings repaired/replaced and pressed right back in. No muss no fuss...
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23136

Post by ChrisB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 pm

So I presume you can just take a propane torch, heat it up, and it will pop out? Or will we have to pry it out?
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Post by Aussie16 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi Chris, It appears to have been soldered in. Originally was a press fit. Heat it up,ment the solder and it will probably fall out I am sick of brass hub fans wearing out so are currently fitting a sealed bearing kit in the hub to replace the bush. It came with my car and was supplied from Texas T parts. The other option is to buy the hub already converted and rivet the blades to it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic