U-Joint lube

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

U-Joint lube

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:59 pm

I understand that prior to installing the U-joint ball into the back of the hogshead you should pack it full of grease....my question, what kind of grease? For my Hyatt bearings I used a NLGI 1 red bearing grease... would that be too thin (soft) for the U-joint? I can see where grease is likely to make it's way out around to ball-shaped end of the drive shaft tube so maybe a thicker grease would leak less? What do you suggest as a good compromise between proper lubrication of the U-joint and not leaking excessively?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Re: U-Joint lube

Post by JP_noonan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:38 pm

I would use the same grease that you use for the wheel bearings. I put a zerks on them and pump till full. You will lose a little bit now and then while driving, but just wipe it off during your maintenance routine, and repeat the process to keep it full.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

BuckTspecial
First Name: tyrone
Last Name: thomas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: speedster, racer, pie wagon, coupe

Post by BuckTspecial » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:16 am

I second what JP said.

Nunsio1
First Name: John
Last Name: Monticciolo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C Cab truck
MTFCA Number: 21108

Post by Nunsio1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:55 am

I like synthetic grease , it stays put , doesn’t separate and run all over , I buy at auto zone it’s in green/ yellow tube ( don’t remember brand name) use large tube & use the whole tube. I also use it on all chassis grease points.

Grady Puryear
First Name: Grady L
Last Name: Puryear

Post by Grady Puryear » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 am

I personally like Lubri Plate, I have used it for everything in this world since it's introduction way back. I think what impressed me about it was that it stayed where you put it, and using it in the Rice Fields and in the Oilfields made a believer out of me. As to the U Joint grease, I packed the housing as full as I could get it, a long time ago, and it still works. Subjects on the Forum seem to run in cycles, back then it was time for U Joints, Pro and Con and I thought I would try one of the rebuilt ones with the bearings, I think I got mine from someone in New Mexico. Anyway, there was a lot of controversy about them, Pro and Con, but I did it to satisfy me, and so far, it has served admirably (may crash on me since I said that). I think almost any good grease will serve, but I am going to stick with it, hard to get sometimes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic