High speed adjusting bolt question.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

High speed adjusting bolt question.

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:53 am

Does anyone have the dimensions of the high speed/clutch adjusting bolt? Should the end that hits the “ramp” be hardened, or do you use a hardened bolt?
Thanks,
Rob

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Re: High speed adjusting bolt question.

Post by ABoer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 am

Rob ; I do it this way .
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:43 am

That is what I have found best, to turn the bolt over from the Ford way. Puts a nicer wide bolt surface for better leverage, and add some grease for a smooth gliding contact. Put nut on top to lock the position of the bolt.

A Grade 5 bolt is just fine, hex head 3/8" x 24tpi, 1 15/16" length, hex nut for locking.
neutral2 (800x600).jpg

What the Ford way looks like over time, mashed threaded end of bolt on left. New bolt in center with rounded hex. Just grind what shape you wish, the globe end in the old time sketch seems excessive to me, and make future adjustment tough to put a wrench on the round end, but would give a ball bearing slide :?
IMG_0116 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0006.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Rob
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 am

Anthonie,
Thank you. Do you recall the size of the bolt? I like the shape you ground it to. We’re thinking of a roller, and I need the dimensions for a friend to see if there is room. We need to strengthen or shim the spring and put in new discs. I’m also looking for Turbo 400 blue gen 2 discs. For some reason we can’t seem to hold high speed in the racer........ :shock:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rfeoi0iaju2w ... r.MOV?dl=0

A93FA76C-FD5A-4C56-BAB3-1886DD75DEB3.jpeg

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:54 am

Thank you Dan.

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Post by ABoer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 am

Rob ; I use the same bolt as Dan , with full tread .

Succes Toon

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:13 am

I don't think there would be enough room for a roller without rework. The spacing between the cam and lever is not that great when the parking brake lever is pulled back. The only time this part come into play is when the lever is pulled back to put in neutral or set parking brake. Even if you added a roller it still would have to be up and down adjustable. If you are worried about wear, push the low pedal down and squeeze the grip before pulling the handle back.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Every bolt I've ever seen is beat to he!!

And since you are in neutral with the foot pedal when you pull the parking lever back, wear on the bolt should be negligible if everything is adjusted correctly. This tells me that most owners in the day didn't care that their cars were worn out...just that it started at least one more time...

I appreciate the work folks have done with custom bolts, and am a little amused by the roller idea, but frankly think it's a big ado about nothing. If the clevis is the correct length and neutral is set properly, the bolt will be high enough during engagement to barely rub the cam.

I run an "upside-down" bolt and have very little wear on it's head after many many thousands of miles on my driver

FWIW
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Some accessory overhead valve heads use an oiled felt pad that lays inside the valve cover and on top of the rocker arms and supplies a slight but constant bit of lubrication to upper parts of overhead valve train. The felt pad is periodically soaked with oil to perpetuate this constant bit of lubrication.

I'm thinking that perhaps a very small oil soaked felt pad might be somehow strategically placed & somehow secured so as to be in constant contact with the surface of the cam so as to hopefully reduce the rate of wear at this adjustment bolt/cam contact point. Regular oiling of the pad could then be part of the regular lubrication servicing of the car. Does this make any sense? Anyone,.....???

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm

We're going to use the 10% stronger spring from Lang's with 1/4 in spacer to add more pressure on the high speed clutches, hopefully to stop slippage. This motor has a lot of torque, and with 3:1 gears the clutch slips too easily and is almost out of adjustment already.

This will probably translate into a harder pull on the hand lever and faster wear on the adjusting bolt. I agree if I foot clutch first it won't matter. I often transport and park in high, and then still pull the brake lever to put the car in neutral and on brake before starting.

Thanks for the ideas and information.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:11 pm

There was an "old-timey" master machinist in the Tacoma M.T.C . that made a run of these for his "buddies" - they work just fine !
Attachments
clutch bolt roller.JPG

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm

Steve

he did indeed do very nice work, even for such an esoteric part!

Now Rob has a very nice baseline to shoot for. Good of you to post.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Very nice looking roller setup.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:54 pm

My friend Bruce just put this together and sent a pic. He said it takes about an inch:
IMG_3782.JPG

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:49 pm

That's really cool. I would like to have one if it is possible.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Here we go again, changing things! First of all, that controller shaft cam is harder than hell! Next, Ford didn't use any grade five bolts either. I've done my cars the way Ford did, and never had an issue. I do however grease the top side of the cam.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Larry,
Problem is, I have a 300 cubic inch special Ford built racing engine, probably putting out over 70 hp, tandemed with a standard Ford transmission. I don't know what Ford and Frank Kulick did, but I suspect they had more than a stock T spring/clutch and control set up. Ford was the 5th winningest manufacturer in sanctioned events in 1911, so whatever they did with their two speed, it worked. I'm trying to recreate their success with their second largest Ford Soecial motor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic